Texas Hunting Forum

Houston County

Posted By: Tres

Houston County - 11/23/16 02:16 PM

What's everyone seeing around there right now? Headed up today to hunt through the weekend.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Houston County - 11/23/16 02:38 PM

As they always do this deep into the season, the deer have gone underground. Oh, they're still there for sure, but have simply adjusted their travel and feeding patterns.

We had a very good acorn drop that started about two weeks ago that impacted sightings at both food plots and feeders. As with every season, we just need more cold and frosty mornings to get them moving. There was also a good, killing frost last Sunday that should have taken a toll on browse and improve activity at feeders.

Good luck!

Re: Houston County - 11/23/16 02:50 PM

Thanks Dan. Will probably use the climber a lot on trails.
Posted By: Tony Murray

Re: Houston County - 11/23/16 05:50 PM

We hunt in Arbor in Houston County. It has been one of the slowest years that I can remember. The corn is actually growing under the feeders. I suspect that the acorn crop is killing us, or should I say I hope it is. We had some good deer coming in around October 1st.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Houston County - 11/23/16 06:04 PM

They're moving some after the rain/wind all night last night. Overall activity has slowed down since last week though.

Re: Houston County - 11/23/16 06:32 PM

Only my second time up, first was 3rd week of October and it was in the 90's with very little movement. Hopefully this trip will be better!
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Houston County - 11/23/16 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Tres
Only my second time up, first was 3rd week of October and it was in the 90's with very little movement. Hopefully this trip will be better!

You are catching it better this time. Cooler this time around. Not cold, but cool enough to get them moving some.I saw several spaced out pretty well all morning.

Good luck!
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Houston County - 11/23/16 07:54 PM

Saw a lot hit the ground last weekend with size to it. Tell that neighbor of yours to log in and shoot the breeze.

Re: Houston County - 11/23/16 08:22 PM

Not sure where he's been
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Houston County - 11/23/16 09:13 PM

The only good buck I've seen showed up at dark thirty weekend before last. I was just about to leave when I caught sight of him, and it was too dark to judge him without a scope. Not sure I would have chanced a shot with a scope in such poor light. Heck, there was more moonlight than sunlight at the time.

Be prepared to stay until the end of shooting time for sure.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum