Texas Hunting Forum

Quality deer this season?

Posted By: Chafro

Quality deer this season? - 11/22/16 05:02 PM

Hello guys how is the quality of your deer this season? Rains have been very good to us in our lease. I’m starting mine on Thursday and wanted to get a heads up on what to expect. Going to have around 100K trail cam pictures to go through.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Quality deer this season? - 11/22/16 05:05 PM

Very good... been on the climb for 5 years now
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Quality deer this season? - 11/22/16 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Very good... been on the climb for 5 years now

same here...you'd think TPWD had implemented some sort of restrictions or something... bolt
Posted By: ctonsmitty

Re: Quality deer this season? - 11/22/16 09:03 PM

not many 5.5 year olds out there due to 2011 drought

A LOT of good looking 3.5 & 4.5 year old bucks
Posted By: BrazosHunter

Re: Quality deer this season? - 11/22/16 10:20 PM

I'm seeing about the same quality bucks as last season but not as many doe overall. What concerns me is the fawn crop as I've not seen any yearlings at all.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Quality deer this season? - 11/22/16 10:27 PM

We have yotes everywhere but can't shoot them due to the high grass. I had one at the feeder the other night and missed a moving shot since he went behind the pen. We saw more yotes than deer all weekend. 5 guys hunting.
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: Quality deer this season? - 11/22/16 10:46 PM

Best fawn crop in years for us. Lots of quality bucks roaming the area.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Quality deer this season? - 11/22/16 11:06 PM

We've got tons of 2.5 year olds. Most of our bucks are 2.5 year old 8s, not uncommon to see 10-15 per sit. Some 3.5s but no mature bucks on cam or in person yet. We need to do a serious doe cull this year.
Posted By: rattler03

Re: Quality deer this season? - 11/23/16 05:06 AM

I've seen 2 mature bucks. I shot one of them - a 5+ year old 126" eight point that probably weighed at least 165 lbs field dressed. I've seen several young bucks, one very promising 1.5 yr old, a few doe and a couple of yearlings. I also saw a decent 3.5 yr old buck. On camera, I've got one dandy 9 or 10 pointer and a mature 7 pointer that would make a great cull buck for a guest (with ARs I can't shoot him). I'm seeing a good number of deer (almost something every sit, which is good for my area), lots of bucks, and they all look to be very healthy. They are hitting corn in Archer county, but we don't have any acorns in the area. 2 good years of rain have the deer and pasture looking good to great. Its been a great season so far.
Posted By: Trackman

Re: Quality deer this season? - 11/24/16 10:14 AM

Send us some pictures to look at chafro.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum