Texas Hunting Forum

Val Verde County

Posted By: JHeflinland

Val Verde County - 11/19/16 06:00 PM

What happened to the forever long Val Verde County thread?

Re: Val Verde County - 11/19/16 06:02 PM

I don't know how to delete this thread..
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: Val Verde County - 11/19/16 06:29 PM

That's hilarious! We'll make this one the official new old thread. What happen to the old one?

Re: Val Verde County - 11/19/16 08:54 PM

I don't know. I was looking for it too...
Posted By: CB09

Re: Val Verde County - 11/20/16 01:43 AM

Guess it got deleted
Posted By: chicklitter

Re: Val Verde County - 11/20/16 03:23 PM

I'm not finding it either. WTH.

At any rate, hope my fellow Val Verde County hunters are having a good weekend.

Re: Val Verde County - 11/20/16 04:00 PM

I worked yesterday, and it took me to Del Rio. I saw nothing in the back of trucks. Except for two axis deer in the back of a trailer. Not really any deer on the side of the road either, dead, or alive.

Re: Val Verde County - 11/20/16 06:23 PM

One of my hunters has been down for a few days. Seen a lot of young bucks and does, but nothing mature. About par for this time of year. Heck of a lot better than our opening weekend. I will have a handful of hunters in my camp after Thanksgiving. Hopefully someone will knock one down.
Posted By: Dodge_Rock

Re: Val Verde County - 11/20/16 08:47 PM

Is 1st/2nd week of Dec peak rut in south part of county?

Re: Val Verde County - 11/20/16 10:31 PM

Typically yes it is

Re: Val Verde County - 11/21/16 07:40 AM

Dodgerock where abouts are you?

I drove from San Antonio to Alice then to corpus christi, back to San Antonio today. Saw one axis in the back of a pickup, and that was all. Guess it's slow everywhere.

Re: Val Verde County - 11/21/16 01:29 PM

I am finally headed out today for the week. Hopefully they are moving this week

Re: Val Verde County - 11/21/16 03:03 PM

Good luck. We'll be out there after thanksgiving.

Re: Val Verde County - 11/22/16 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: CB09
I am finally headed out today for the week. Hopefully they are moving this week

You post some really nice deer every year. Can't wait for an update!

Re: Val Verde County - 11/22/16 05:27 PM

I heard a decent amount of shots nearby over the weekend, but people weren't going crazy with them. Don't know if anyone got anything or not. I saw lots of fawns and young deer this weekend, along with one old guy I would have taken if I'd ever had a good shot on him (he's been injured for at least three years per game cams, but somehow he's survived). What got me was when I looked at game cam pics Saturday evening, there were 10 deer at one time at a different feeder, including a mature 8 pointer and a buck I'd never seen before. Watched that feeder the next morning and nothing. *sigh*
Posted By: sotol buster

Re: Val Verde County - 11/23/16 04:14 AM

I hunt in Juno also. You guys should have been there on the 18th. The entire rut happened on that day!!!
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Val Verde County - 11/23/16 03:01 PM

I want to apologize to those that followed the "How are the deer in Val Verde County" thread since I was the reason it was deleted. I had posted a buck I killed at friends ranch and in the process of getting it deleted the entire thread vanished.

Apparently an ex member of our lease likes to pop off at the mouth to the land owner about deer I post so that was the reasoning behind me deleting.

I'll no longer post my kills, but really look forward to everyone else's deer.

Side Note: Whomever it is that has an issue with the bucks I take can feel free to send me a PM. Be an adult and stop making calls behind my back.

Re: Val Verde County - 11/23/16 03:32 PM

Wow, that's crazy! We couldn't even see your face. Oh well.

Re: Val Verde County - 11/28/16 12:56 AM

Well just got back form a week out at the ranch and not many of the older deer were moving for us. I saw tons of young 3-4 8 and 10 point's but nothing i wanted to take. They were also not even really chasing yet so i guess the warm weather has keep the older deer locked down. I have also not seen many mature deer on the cameras which is weird based on the last couple of years results. Hoping the weather tuns cold when i go back in 2 weeks.
Posted By: Dbax

Re: Val Verde County - 11/29/16 04:17 PM

Ill be headed that way this weekend for a few days. Hunted first two weekends and saw a ton of younger deer and a couple nice mature bucks. I have one specific one I am looking for this trip.

Re: Val Verde County - 11/29/16 07:54 PM

My dad came back early because they saw nothing.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Val Verde County - 11/29/16 08:15 PM

I was in Kinney County over the weekend and only saw bucks 3.5 and younger, the guys who are on that lease said they haven't seen any mature bucks for this hunting season yet.

Re: Val Verde County - 11/29/16 09:25 PM

It has been a really weird season so far for sure. Lets hope a cold front comes in soon and gets things turned around.

Re: Val Verde County - 11/29/16 11:13 PM

Yeah, I'm gonna wait till my son gets back from school in two weeks. I hope it gets colder by then.

Re: Val Verde County - 11/30/16 12:35 AM

I haven't been down but had hunters at my lease from Friday until today. Lots of deer, mainly young stuff seen over the weekend. The guys that left after today's morning hunt said it was like a switch flipped and they saw a lot of good mature bucks yesterday and this morning. None of the big bucks went to corn, they were all cruising, checking does and hard to get shots off.

Re: Val Verde County - 11/30/16 02:49 AM

I am heading out next Wed and the weather looks great. Highs around 50 and lows in the low 30's
Posted By: cibolo

Re: Val Verde County - 11/30/16 03:30 AM

Saw young one's running weekend before and during the week of Thanksgiving. There was one 3 year old 8 who was running hard he was the biggest we saw. Does still had their yearlings but there was a couple of hot does. Neighbors say Dec 6 through the 23rd is magic time. We are off of blue hills road so if anyone else is out that way pm me and come by for a cold beverage and good luck.

Re: Val Verde County - 11/30/16 10:04 PM

First two of the year for us.

Re: Val Verde County - 12/01/16 03:39 AM

did you get this one today?
Posted By: Dodge_Rock

Re: Val Verde County - 12/01/16 04:02 AM

cheers

Re: Val Verde County - 12/03/16 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: cibolo
did you get this one today?

Those are two different deer. I didn't shoot either of them. A couple of my hunters did last weekend.

Re: Val Verde County - 12/04/16 02:25 AM

Report from the guys at the lease is they are moving everywhere but damp and cold. Hopefully they will still be moving on Thursday.

Re: Val Verde County - 12/04/16 01:12 PM

Very nice!

Re: Val Verde County - 12/08/16 04:43 AM

Headed down Friday, hopefully they are chasing

Re: Val Verde County - 12/08/16 05:49 PM

Gonna head down there Tuesday.

Cibolo, when are you coming back? Need a report.

Re: Val Verde County - 12/08/16 07:58 PM

Hunters in our camp have reported lots of deer activity, with an occasional quick sighting of a mature buck cruising. Mainly young bucks chasing. I bet this cold front throws them into full blown rut. Next couple weeks should be interesting. I probably won't make it down myself until the 20th.
Posted By: blindcowboy

Re: Val Verde County - 12/09/16 07:39 AM

We're headed down tomorrow, well later to day that's what I get for not being able to sleep, and I hope they're moving. My wife got a nice 10 point 2 weeks ago when we were down there.

S.A. Hunter I have to be back home Monday morning for life support AKA the dialysis machine so if I don't get online this weekend I'll try and get on then and give you a report.

Re: Val Verde County - 12/09/16 08:19 AM

Originally Posted By: blindcowboy
We're headed down tomorrow, well later to day that's what I get for not being able to sleep, and I hope they're moving. My wife got a nice 10 point 2 weeks ago when we were down there.

S.A. Hunter I have to be back home Monday morning for life support AKA the dialysis machine so if I don't get online this weekend I'll try and get on then and give you a report.

Gotcha, glad to see you are doing well. Good luck with your hunt.

Re: Val Verde County - 12/09/16 01:53 PM

Originally Posted By: S.A. hunter
Originally Posted By: blindcowboy

Gotcha, glad to see you are doing well. Good luck with your hunt.

Thanks. I'm doing okay just too stubborn to quit.

Re: Val Verde County - 12/10/16 10:41 PM

Gonna head down there Tuesday.

Cibolo, when are you coming back? Need a report.

We got in about 6 last night. We came in from Ozona and from the time we hit the county line until we hit Blue Hills RD. off 1024 they were all over the road.

Unfortunately the only close encounter we've had with wildlife since we got here was the dogs finding a skunk. I don't think they appreciated spending last night outside but that was at 9:00 last night and it was to cold to bathe them.

We saw several fawns this morning but nothing older of either sex. My wife went out by herself this afternoon because I try to let her go out at least once per trip without having to tell me what she sees or where to aim so I'll update this with what she does or doesn't see later.

Re: Val Verde County - 12/11/16 06:03 PM

Good to hear, thanks for the report. I hope you do well this weekend. I took 90 all the way to Del Rio, and back. I saw quite a few doe dead on the side of the road. Things are starting to move for sure.

Re: Val Verde County - 12/12/16 05:15 AM

Good to hear, thanks for the report. I hope you do well this weekend. I took 90 all the way to Del Rio, and back. I saw quite a few doe dead on the side of the road. Things are starting to move for sure.

All we saw this weekend were fawns and yearlings. Good luck when you head down this week.
Posted By: marko

Re: Val Verde County - 12/12/16 05:58 PM

We hunt just across the county line on the east side of 163. We saw a lot of chasing on Friday and Saturday but it has slowed down since the weather change. We have seen some good bucks but no real mature wall hanger.

Re: Val Verde County - 12/13/16 09:23 AM

Thanks for the report guys, we'll be down there tomorrow around noon. This will be my first time this season. Wish us luck.

Re: Val Verde County - 12/14/16 05:08 AM

Cold front blowing in this weekend. Going to be pretty chilly for a few days. There will be some good bucks killed down there between now and Christmas.

Re: Val Verde County - 12/15/16 11:04 PM

We'll we just got back, my son connected with a broke up 8 pointer. Saw some young bucks, and an old doe. I was gonna take the old doe but she was on to us. She didn't give me a shot, and quickly left. Guess she was old for a reason. On the way back my son and I took the long way home out of Del Rio. On our way up 377 we saw a lot of doe on the road both dead and alive. I was surprised since it was only 1:30pm. Seems like they are moving a bit more now.

Re: Val Verde County - 12/16/16 05:11 AM

We saw a ton last week but just not the one. Past on a lot of 3-4 year old 10's but showed good judgment to let them live. Took 10 doe and hope to make it out next week.

Re: Val Verde County - 12/16/16 07:38 PM

I forgot to mention I don't think the rut has kicked off yet. I saw no signs of it.
Posted By: don k

Re: Val Verde County - 12/16/16 11:40 PM

I forgot to mention I don't think the rut has kicked off yet. I saw no signs of it.
Maybe it is already over. It is here unless it starts again.

Re: Val Verde County - 12/17/16 03:33 AM

We are north of Loma Alta about 10 miles and it was on for us last week for sure.

Re: Val Verde County - 12/17/16 05:56 AM

I'm on the border, and usually mid December it starts but non of the bucks I saw showed signs.

Re: Val Verde County - 12/18/16 05:46 PM

Comstock got into the mid-20s last night I'm guessing this is going to kill off anything and everything green. Last two weeks of the season hopefully the deer will start coming to the feeders.

Re: Val Verde County - 12/22/16 10:50 PM

Anyone been out lately? Or heading out this weekend? Need a report, gonna head out late Monday. Just wondering what y'all are seeing?
Posted By: msj7x57

Re: Val Verde County - 12/25/16 04:43 PM

I got back from there Thursday. The bucks were still chasing does when we left. A lot of the better bucks we had were busted up from fighting. They are coming to the feeders for a quick bite, then they go back on the chase . My son got a nice 8 pt Tuesday evening. Lots of fox around, bring a call for some fun.

Re: Val Verde County - 12/26/16 12:17 AM

Good to here, thanks for tho info. Gonna head out tomorrow night. I'm hoping my dad can get on something good.
Posted By: Trackman

Re: Val Verde County - 12/29/16 09:23 PM

Heading down on the 2nd just wondering how the rut is going we are hunting near lake amistad?

Re: Val Verde County - 12/30/16 01:41 AM

Got back yesterday. Didn't see any bucks, but my dad shot himself a doe, and we got out of there. The rut should be coming to an end soon.
Posted By: 505ed

Re: Val Verde County - 12/30/16 01:52 AM

They were still a bit interested 2 weeks ago...took a nice buck on the 19th...

Re: Val Verde County - 12/30/16 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: 505ed

505ed, where abouts do you hunt?

Trackman I just realized the 2nd is too late for a buck. The season ends Sunday. Doe and spike season goes till the 14th or so.

Re: Val Verde County - 12/30/16 07:28 PM

I'm hunting on the other side of the lake! Season is a little longer to the south!

Re: Val Verde County - 12/30/16 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Trackman
I'm hunting on the other side of the lake! Season is a little longer to the south!

I thought that dividing line was on the east side of Del Rio. I tried to find that map but I couldn't. If you find that map can you please post it or a link to it please. We hunt south of 90 but West of Lake Amistad.

Re: Val Verde County - 12/30/16 09:03 PM

I meant south of the lake and del rio in old MX.

Re: Val Verde County - 12/30/16 09:15 PM

Oh yeah that's way different. Report back to us and let us know how it goes I've always wanted to hunt Old Mexico. Might need to get some info from you.

Re: Val Verde County - 01/01/17 08:07 PM

How many of y'all ended up with some feeder pets. I have a few that could care less if they see you walk up and get in the deer stand. One of them looked like he was going to guard the feeder when I drove up.

Re: Val Verde County - 01/01/17 10:35 PM

One more question, About mid November our cell phone service all but disappeared. We hunt west of the intersection of 189 and 163. Did any of you in that area have the same problem or any idea what might have caused this?
Posted By: 505ed

Re: Val Verde County - 01/02/17 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: 505ed

505ed, where abouts do you hunt?

Trackman I just realized the 2nd is too late for a buck. The season ends Sunday. Doe and spike season goes till the 14th or so.

Going toward Dryden...

Re: Val Verde County - 01/03/17 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: sotol buster
One more question, About mid November our cell phone service all but disappeared. We hunt west of the intersection of 189 and 163. Did any of you in that area have the same problem or any idea what might have caused this?

I hunt pretty close to you. Do you lease from Wilson-Hodges? Our cell service became very limited as well.. very strange. I've hunted out there for 5 years, and this was the first time it got bad.

Re: Val Verde County - 01/03/17 05:12 PM

Overall a slow year for us. We took 6 bucks total. A couple decent bucks, a couple culls, and a really nice middle aged 8 point that I wish wouldn't have been shot, but we have at least one mistake every year. Two of the bucks that were killed had never showed up on game cameras.

I had at least 20 shooter bucks on camera between August and Christmas that we were targeting That never hit the ground. My hunters are being more selective, which I like, but I am still somewhat disappointed. I am looking forward to a year where we can get several good bucks off of our place. We had a lot of good middle aged bucks on the place this year, and I think we will have a lot more shooters going forward. I think that next year we will be fully recovered from the drought and we will see several good years in a row. Gets me excited to keep on keeping on in the Juno Country.

Here's the middle aged 8 (I think he was 3.5, and a mature cull that were taken in December.

Re: Val Verde County - 01/03/17 06:47 PM

Nice, it was slow for us. They just didn't come to the feeders this year. No doubt there are more deer out there then has been in many years. Next couple of years should be good.

Re: Val Verde County - 01/04/17 07:30 PM

I had all these on camera and they are all still alive as far as I know. Several of them disappeared once season started. A little frustrating really. I had 21 bucks on the hit list from game cam pics and we did not take out a single one of them. Maybe a good thing that they are still there?

Re: Val Verde County - 01/04/17 07:32 PM

Re: Val Verde County - 01/04/17 07:34 PM

Y'all got any to look forward to next year?

Re: Val Verde County - 01/04/17 09:07 PM

Damn! Not a one taken this year?

Re: Val Verde County - 01/04/17 09:47 PM

Overall a few good ones to see next year

I badly want to get rid of this buck. He's super skittish

Re: Val Verde County - 01/04/17 09:59 PM

Damn! Not a one taken this year?

Not a single one of them was taken. A few deer were killed but not a single one from the "hit list".

I think a few of them were passed on, but I'm not 100% sure.

I think a lot of it had to do with the weather.

Re: Val Verde County - 01/05/17 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By: JHeflinland
Originally Posted By: sotol buster

I hunt pretty close to you. Do you lease from Wilson-Hodges? Our cell service became very limited as well.. very strange. I've hunted out there for 5 years, and this was the first time it got bad.

Yes, I hunt on a Wilson Hodge ranch. We all had our fill of hunting in the rain this year. It's weird how some deer are addicted to corn and some just walk right by it. We did alright overall. Whereabouts are you hunting?

Re: Val Verde County - 01/05/17 03:49 PM

We are about 7 miles Southeast from the Wilson Hodge headquarters. We hunt on part of their ranch as well. This was our 4th season there. Had a couple of guys down there during all that rain. The weather this year made it a weird year for sure.

Re: Val Verde County - 01/05/17 04:32 PM

The deer definitely weren't interested in the corn this year. The ground looked like a green carpet. It was totally covered by 1-2 inch forbes. Even after the freezes we had. I was certain that the Temps would kill all the forbes, but boy was I wrong. We ended up taking a broken up 8 pointer and a doe. Not the best for us.
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Val Verde County - 01/05/17 04:58 PM

Count your blessings about the forbs. Almost total protein for them. That type of forage will get your bucks back on their feet after the rut and give a good/great head start to the embryos. The longer they last the better off you will be next season and in the coming years because fawn survival rates should go up.

Re: Val Verde County - 01/05/17 11:46 PM

I certainly agree with you guys. It was a good year for the deer, not so good for those of us that were hunting them.

I'm starting to notice some patterns on our place. We have a good mix of canyons and flat high ground. I always get a lot of good bucks on camera during the warmer months in the canyons and they vacate the area during the winter. It's like a complete switch to high ground and we see more deer overall on our grassy flats up top during deer season.

I'm guessing it's because of the temperature difference. I have noticed it can be considerably cooler in the canyons.

Any of y'all have any thoughts on this?

Re: Val Verde County - 01/06/17 12:45 AM

I don't notice the same pattern on our place. They seem to stay around the same place all year. Of course the exceptions are the top end bucks that just disappear entirely.

I see feeder pens in your pictures. How tall are they? do they keep the goats out?

One thing my brother and I do is put game cameras at the water troughs in August and September. They might not come to a feeder but they will go to water if it does not rain for a while.

Re: Val Verde County - 01/06/17 02:44 AM

Most of the pens are 36". I have some that were 48" and we cut them down to 40". I like the 40" ones better. 4 inches actually makes a difference. They do a decent job of keeping goats out if you have them braced pretty good. They push them over and get in if they have flex in them. We doubled up on t-posts with all of our pens this summer because goats were pushing them over.

Re: Val Verde County - 01/06/17 05:20 PM

I certainly agree with you guys. It was a good year for the deer, not so good for those of us that were hunting them.

I'm starting to notice some patterns on our place. We have a good mix of canyons and flat high ground. I always get a lot of good bucks on camera during the warmer months in the canyons and they vacate the area during the winter. It's like a complete switch to high ground and we see more deer overall on our grassy flats up top during deer season.

I'm guessing it's because of the temperature difference. I have noticed it can be considerably cooler in the canyons.

My take on this was always that the canyons on places I guided always held more water, in wet years, for longer periods of time, than surrounding elevated "flat" areas. Deer are like humans, they do not want to expend any more energy than is absolutely necessary for food or drink. If everything they need is right there in the bedroom they really have no reason to leave. The only time that goes out the window, especially for bucks, is during the rut when food and drink are not the number one priority.

Re: Val Verde County - 01/08/17 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: deerfeeder
Count your blessings about the forbs. Almost total protein for them. That type of forage will get your bucks back on their feet after the rut and give a good/great head start to the embryos. The longer they last the better off you will be next season and in the coming years because fawn survival rates should go up.

Yep, stacking a good year on good years,weather wise will pay dividends eventually.

Re: Val Verde County - 01/13/17 07:12 AM

Headed down tomorrow, and I just realized that a few of us hunt of blue hills road. Blindcowboy we share a fenceline

Re: Val Verde County - 03/26/17 11:23 AM

Headed down tomorrow, and I just realized that a few of us hunt of blue hills road. Blindcowboy we share a fenceline
Hadn't been on the forum in a while and just saw this. We're down here now filling feeders and things are looking good.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Val Verde County - 03/27/17 01:19 PM

Originally Posted By: deerfeeder

My take on this was always that the canyons on places I guided always held more water, in wet years, for longer periods of time, than surrounding elevated "flat" areas. Deer are like humans, they do not want to expend any more energy than is absolutely necessary for food or drink. If everything they need is right there in the bedroom they really have no reason to leave. The only time that goes out the window, especially for bucks, is during the rut when food and drink are not the number one priority.
this

Re: Val Verde County - 03/27/17 02:54 PM

Which fence line (out of curiosity—I'm blindcowboy's wife, btw)?

It was incredibly green out there this weekend, which isn't a bad thing. smile
Posted By: olinecoach

Re: Val Verde County - 04/07/17 05:29 PM

We just had from 4-5" of rain in the area around Lake Amistad last weekend. it will take us into June now.
Posted By: Txhuntr2

Re: Val Verde County - 04/07/17 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: olinecoach
We just had from 4-5" of rain in the area around Lake Amistad last weekend. it will take us into June now.

Excellent, and the weatherman is predicting more. Keep it coming!

Re: Val Verde County - 04/20/17 07:50 PM

Just got back last night. Green stuff everywhere, must of had one hell of a rain event because it cleared all the rocks out of our ravines. We should be set going into summer.

Re: Val Verde County - 05/29/17 02:24 PM

Here you go.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Val Verde County - 05/31/17 04:18 PM

For you Val Verde County hunters; I just made a trip down to Del Rio yesterday via 277. Not much sign of rain from Sonora down to the Edwards/Val Verde county line but south of there, the Dry Devils River was flowing and every canyon had water running in it. There was still some light rain when I came back last night up until the southern cut-off to Rock Springs. More rain was expected today.

Re: Val Verde County - 06/03/17 02:00 AM

I am headed out in 2 weeks and will report back then

Re: Val Verde County - 06/03/17 03:15 PM

Valhunter, cb09 has some monsters!

Re: Val Verde County - 06/09/17 02:31 AM

Anyone get that bad hail storm that came through northern VV around the beginning of May? Some guys on our place had a camper totaled and there were reports of baseball sized hail.

Re: Val Verde County - 06/09/17 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Txhuntr2
Anyone get that bad hail storm that came through northern VV around the beginning of May? Some guys on our place had a camper totaled and there were reports of baseball sized hail.

I have not heard anything about that. I do know, however, that it rained about 6 inches at our place over the course of May 27-31.

Deer are going to be super healthy and I bet we have another hellacious acorn crop this year.

Let's hope it doesn't stay warm through December again. I like healthy deer, but I sure would like to see them!

Re: Val Verde County - 06/18/17 06:56 PM

I live in Del Rio and rain was hit and miss as usual. We hunt just below the lake east of the loop off Hamilton Lane and we had a total approaching 5", it is dry dry dry now.

Re: Val Verde County - 06/19/17 12:02 PM

Yep, this is a good time NOT to be at the land! 100 degrees but feels like 110.....

Re: Val Verde County - 06/22/17 03:02 PM

Well some of my hunters will be at our camp this week, and we will most likely set a few trail cameras. A little earlier than normal, but I figured it wouldn't hurt anything. I'm really anxious to see how these guys are going to look this year:

Hard to see, but the last one is a super young 12 point that several of us saw on the hoof last year.

Any of you guys have any you're looking forward to seeing this year? I always like seeing progression pictures from one year to the next.

Re: Val Verde County - 06/23/17 08:57 PM

We did have a hail storm and it knocked a bunch of leafs off our Oak trees and left some nice size marks on our stands.

Was out last weekend and man was it green and looking great. It was so green we did not even bother putting out hay in our feeder pins. Really looking forward to this season and can't wait to get back out to set everything up in October.

Re: Val Verde County - 06/24/17 03:16 AM

I don't have cameras going yet. Should be going pretty soon if I can get out there. I'm really looking forward to this year and am anxious to see what's hanging around.

Storms moving into VV from the north right now should give some needed rain.

Re: Val Verde County - 06/24/17 03:20 PM

I don't have cameras going yet. Should be going pretty soon if I can get out there. I'm really looking forward to this year and am anxious to see what's hanging around.

Storms moving into VV from the north right now should give some needed rain.

Depending on where in VV, it looks like the rain was hit and miss. One of our neighbors at Verde West said they got nothing but strong winds last night and was about to head out to check for any wind damage (which makes me nervous about our solar panels…*sigh*). We were out there last weekend and it was freaking hot, but green. Deer are looking really healthy on the game cams.

Re: Val Verde County - 06/24/17 03:21 PM

We had a good rain last night in the Del Rio area. 1"to 2". We hunt between lake Amistad and Laughlin. Rain has been very spotty in southern Val Verde County in June. Deer are in good shape.
Posted By: R8RInvasion

Re: Val Verde County - 07/05/17 02:50 PM

My cousin and I went to our place in Pumpville over the weekend and it's still looking pretty green for this time of year. Deer are looking healthy...and darn coons aren't doing bad either. We were very fortunate that most of Saturday was cloudy and not too hot.
Posted By: DelRioGunr

Re: Val Verde County - 07/05/17 08:21 PM

I did some repair work on my cabin yesterday. Amistad is way down and old highway bridge is visible from 277/377. 101 F yesterday. Plenty of green brush still doing great. So are the deer, exotics, turkeys, couple of foxes, coons, doves, quail, and a porcupine

Re: Val Verde County - 07/15/17 03:46 PM

What part of the county do you hunt? We came in from New Mexico yesterday on 90 and northern part of the county had water standing in bar ditches but none in Del Rio area. Going out to the ranch this week and fill feeders.

Re: Val Verde County - 07/16/17 05:38 AM

I am on the other side of Amistad from 90 (277/377). About 24 miles N of the Del Rio City Limits.

Re: Val Verde County - 07/16/17 05:40 AM

Anyone go across the bridge to 'Acuna ?? Feel safe??
Posted By: Armando Victor

Re: Val Verde County - 07/17/17 03:58 AM

I have a couples of friends in Acuña and is safe...
anything you need im from mexico, falcon lake area...

Re: Val Verde County - 07/18/17 02:16 PM

We've had spotty showers in the area for the last two days. Tuesday afternoon should be our last shot. 1/2" plus generally.

Re: Val Verde County - 07/21/17 01:40 PM

Update from Val Verde:

We have some good looking deer so far. Some appear to be further along with growth than others.

Re: Val Verde County - 08/02/17 03:20 PM

Nice looking deer. I believe Juno has had more rain than Del Rio.

Re: Val Verde County - 08/03/17 07:49 PM

We had good rains until the first part of July. It has really dried up since. With that being said, I got rained on the last 2 times I checked cameras. The showers were real spotty. Some areas had standing water and some didn't even get a drop. Here is photo off my front porch from mid July. That area on the right got dumped on, the stuff on the left never saw a cloud.

Everything is burnt up as of Tuesday morning. I don't know if we got any rain since then.

Posted By: DHarden

Re: Val Verde County - 08/05/17 03:38 AM

First post here, so thought I would request some help from the knowledge here. As we are aware of it's some rough country here (Pinon Ranch area) but was wondering if anybody had a consistent method that would assist in gathering water for the wildlife outside of a well or running heavy equipment (in all of the rocks). Cant afford that at this time. Looked at a guzzler system but hate the thought of taking up that much area to accumulate enough water. got 160 acres and would like some consistent water for deer, but all of the water runs down the canyon then off the property. The porous rock is difficult to hold the water in this area. Put a system in place on the cabin and have an accumulation ~1200 gallons but away from the cabin I am struggling with the best/most effective method. big questions are how much water should be accumulated and how to accumulate it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Val Verde County - 08/07/17 03:51 PM

Outback wildlife feeders makes some nice looking guzzlers on skids. They are not cheap but they look like an easy set up and pretty low maintenance.

One of my hunters set up one of those 275 gallon tanks with an automatic valve and water trough that we used to haul water to but it never seemed to work right and we wound up de-commissioning it.
The 275 gallon tanks are pretty cheap. If you set them up right with a good automatic shut off valve and trough it may be your best option. You will need 2. One to haul water, one to leave there permanently, connected to a trough. I would imagine you can locate a good source to haul water from somewhere relatively close by. (neighboring ranch?)

Re: Val Verde County - 08/07/17 03:57 PM

Anybody on here know anything about how rainfall affects acorn crops? We have a ton of those little oaks on our place, and I have noticed a ton of acorns under some of them over the last few years.

In regard to rainfall, what months are most important to acorn production?

We have had a relatively good year and since everything dried up over the last month, I'm already wondering what the acorn crop will look like. If it stays dry, will it be poor?

If it greens up again between now and October, what could we expect?

I would think August-September rains probably play a big factor, but I'm guessing.

Re: Val Verde County - 08/24/17 08:48 PM

Hopefully we get some rain out of the hurricane but not looking good right now. Good luck to everyone on the coast. God Bless

Re: Val Verde County - 08/28/17 07:55 AM

How much rain did Val Verde get?

Re: Val Verde County - 09/01/17 03:47 PM

Looks like Val Verde got little to no rain from the hurricane. Pretty dry, and crunchy out there.
Posted By: Val Verde Hunter

Re: Val Verde County - 09/12/17 04:02 PM

Southern and western part of the county is burning. Northeastern was very green from Loma Alta to Sonora.

Re: Val Verde County - 09/12/17 05:35 PM

Coming up real quick on those bucks shedding their velvet.

Re: Val Verde County - 09/12/17 06:21 PM

Ignore the date on this photo. I'm bad about forgetting to set them to correct date.

This buck had shed before the end of August.

Posted By: Val Verde Hunter

Re: Val Verde County - 09/15/17 06:45 PM

None at all

Re: Val Verde County - 09/23/17 02:58 AM

I am so far behind this year i don't even have my cameras out yet. Thinking of mailing them to the ranch owner so he can get them out for me. For the first time in forever we have not put hay out(during the summer) and just started with corn 2 weeks ago. I have a feeling the bigger bucks will not be coming to the feeders and are going to make it hard on us to find them with all the food around.
Posted By: DH3

Re: Val Verde County - 09/24/17 05:08 PM

Someone asked about the safety of crossing the river into Acuna. FWIW, I walked over yesterday..no problem. The line of cars crossing the bridge was probably 2 miles long. Acuna is a ghost town, the only active businesses seem to be dentists, doctors and pharmacias (The reason for my visit). Crosby's and the Corona club are shuttered. Usual beggars asking for "loans". Some new, small restaraunts have opened..I did not sample their food.
Posted By: Oline Coach

Re: Val Verde County - 09/29/17 04:18 PM

People from DRT are going over now but generally head home before dark. DRT had 6 plus inches of rain this week.
Posted By: ccrock

Re: Val Verde County - 09/29/17 07:25 PM

TX Dot has closed 1024 and 163 anybody drive either road today?

Re: Val Verde County - 09/29/17 07:36 PM

One of our guys is headed to the lease now. He's gonna try to take the Juno cutoff to 1024. I plan to head that way after work. Hopefully someone here knows something soon. I'll post as soon as I find out something.

Re: Val Verde County - 09/29/17 10:37 PM

One of our guys is headed to the lease now. He's gonna try to take the Juno cutoff to 1024. I plan to head that way after work. Hopefully someone here knows something soon. I'll post as soon as I find out something.

That is the way we go then South on 1024. I home that 1973 gravel road isn’t too bad.

Re: Val Verde County - 09/29/17 10:52 PM

Originally Posted By: ccrock

That is the way we go then South on 1024. I home that 1973 gravel road isn’t too bad.

You headed there?

Re: Val Verde County - 09/29/17 11:30 PM

Going down tomorrow afternoon have to work till 1

Re: Val Verde County - 09/30/17 05:37 AM

I just got to the lease. The Juno pass from ozona to 1024 is muddy but easily passable.
Posted By: 120sportmod

Re: Val Verde County - 10/01/17 07:45 PM

I'm planning on heading out to our lease tomorrow, our camp is on 163 about a mile north of juno rd west. Anyone been thru that area just curious on the road conditions and how much water is still running down the river right there. We have to cross the riverbed to get into our camp from the hwy. Any info would be appreciated, and good luck to everyone already out there hunting.

Re: Val Verde County - 10/22/17 05:34 AM

It is super green out there. Deer are as healthy as can be.
Posted By: bp3

Re: Val Verde County - 10/22/17 04:01 PM

The rain has the country green, left Del Rio Monday at 6 am and didn't see a deer until just south of Eldorado.

Re: Val Verde County - 10/22/17 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: bp3
The rain has the country green, left Del Rio Monday at 6 am and didn't see a deer until just south of Eldorado.

Yep, Advantage deer for the third straight year. But that's a good thing.

Re: Val Verde County - 11/04/17 02:08 AM

Who all is going out this weekend? I am not going to make it until next weekend.

Re: Val Verde County - 11/04/17 01:07 PM

Who all is going out this weekend? I am not going to make it until next weekend.

Next Monday for me.

Re: Val Verde County - 11/06/17 01:47 PM

Don't worry. I'm pretty sure you didn't miss anything. grin

It was hot and muggy and the deer weren't really moving for us. Hopefully this weekend will be better.

Re: Val Verde County - 11/06/17 02:54 PM

Nobody had opening weekend success?

My buddy hunts in Zapata and it's in the 90s for the next couple of days.....
Posted By: Kgavin

Re: Val Verde County - 11/06/17 08:49 PM

YES my daughter and I made it down there Friday, hunted twice Saturday and Sunday morning. didn't fire a shot but anytime I get a kid in the stand it's a success! Full moon, water and acorns everywhere made it for slow going. This around the 377 /277 corner of the world. There was a doe at the stand Sunday with s large figure lurking just deep enough into the fog I couldn't get a good look at it. Must have been the biggest buck I've never seen.

Re: Val Verde County - 11/07/17 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Kgavin
YES my daughter and I made it down there Friday, hunted twice Saturday and Sunday morning. didn't fire a shot but anytime I get a kid in the stand it's a success! Full moon, water and acorns everywhere made it for slow going. This around the 377 /277 corner of the world. There was a doe at the stand Sunday with s large figure lurking just deep enough into the fog I couldn't get a good look at it. Must have been the biggest buck I've never seen.

Good deal, I might not get a chance to get out with my son this year. He went and grew up on me.....
Posted By: nosler28

Re: Val Verde County - 11/07/17 05:49 PM

Our crew (my father, grand father, brother, family friend my lady and I) managed to take out 5 cull bucks and 1 shooter on our place. I cant figure out how to attach and image. if someone wants i can send to them and they can upload it

Re: Val Verde County - 11/07/17 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By: nosler28
Our crew (my father, grand father, brother, family friend my lady and I) managed to take out 5 cull bucks and 1 shooter on our place. I cant figure out how to attach and image. if someone wants i can send to them and they can upload it

Check your messages.

Re: Val Verde County - 11/07/17 08:16 PM

Posting these pics for NOSLER28. I'll let him describe them.

Re: Val Verde County - 11/07/17 08:32 PM

we have been letting all our better genetics deer walk for the past two years and just shooting the "junk" deer. our place has a very strong no brow tine blood line going on it and that is what we are trying to get rid of. The top deer was a shooter from bow season that my brother never could get a shot on and he walked out Saturday afternoon for my girlfriends first ever deer, she couldn't hardly talk after that. now the deer on the bottom are some of the culls from this weekend trip except the deer on the far right, foggy conditions and an itchy finger got the best of my grand father roflmao

Re: Val Verde County - 11/07/17 09:13 PM

Re: Val Verde County - 11/07/17 09:13 PM

Re: Val Verde County - 11/07/17 09:14 PM

Did you do that with your phone?

Re: Val Verde County - 11/07/17 09:22 PM

yes, it wouldn't work with my computer.

Re: Val Verde County - 11/07/17 09:29 PM

Really nice deer, congrats. What part of the county are you in?

Re: Val Verde County - 11/07/17 09:43 PM

house canyon, butts up to the river
Posted By: Kpaycheck

Re: Val Verde County - 11/08/17 12:40 PM

It was hot and muggy, and foggy Sunday. Full moon too, which leaves me baffled how i took my 2nd best ever. Saturday evening hunt, saw one young buck all hunt. About 20 or so minutes till dark got a pretty 10, 16.5 in spread and 179lbs on the hoof. I must have spent 10 minutes ensuring it was a 10 and not an 8. Scored 130.

I will try to add the pic but have had lots of issues.

Re: Val Verde County - 11/08/17 02:03 PM

The moon didn't seem to have our animals to nocturnal either. between the 6 hunters i would estimate we saw between 55-60 different bucks in 3 hunts and our doe population seems to be doing really well. Saturday morning was my girlfriends first ever deer hunt and she was amazed. at one point there was 12 does, four 8 points, two 9 points, two 7 points and two 10 points at the feeder. She was bouncing all over the place because I wouldn't let her shoot the big 9 (only a 2.5 year old with about a 12" inside spread and 10" G2's, 9" G3's and a short 3" G4 on his left side)

Re: Val Verde County - 11/08/17 02:06 PM

nice deer cheers

Re: Val Verde County - 11/08/17 03:08 PM

Glad to see y'all had success. I can't wait to get out there. Come on Monday.

Re: Val Verde County - 11/12/17 06:08 PM

Any success this week? Y'all seen any movement? I'm heading out tomorrow going to try to get 5 days of blind time.

Re: Val Verde County - 11/13/17 01:36 AM

Just got back today and saw a ton of deer. We have been seeing a lot of mature deer this early which is not normal. I think we shot 15 deer over the weekend but getting the culls and does out of the way before the rut starts. Looks like it is going to warm up next week which might not be good for hunting.

Re: Val Verde County - 11/13/17 07:44 PM

Good info thanks. Just now getting into the county. It's pretty sloppy out here. I'm hoping for that sun to come out. I've noticed after a couple of days of this weather the first time the sun peeks out everything comes out. Let's hope

Re: Val Verde County - 11/15/17 01:33 PM

Took a shot at one of the two freaks, but he ran off the back of the feeder pen and down a hill......gonna be a long 2 1/2 hrs. We are gonna sit tight and see if my dad can get something. Hope it was a good shot.

Re: Val Verde County - 11/15/17 06:57 PM

I got 2 opening weekend. Old managemt 8 Sunday morning and my trophy 8 Monday morning. It was hot and the afternoons were slow but the deer were moving for us during the mornings. I saw mature bucks everyday.

Re: Val Verde County - 11/15/17 08:26 PM

That's an old hoss, congrats.

I found mine 30 yards away. He's a 3x5 8 pointer. We have another ugly one out there. I swear it's a axis, Whitetail hybrid. All we saw past 3 days Were Young bucks.

Re: Val Verde County - 11/27/17 08:46 PM

Anybody hunt in Val Verde / Southwest Edwards Count over Thanksgiving? My buddy made it with his kids and got a doe and a few spikes but said not much moving. they took out a monster porcupine!

Re: Val Verde County - 11/27/17 10:47 PM

this is the big tree stripping rodent!

Re: Val Verde County - 11/27/17 11:03 PM

I was out there and saw a ton of deer and the younger ones were starting to chase. Really need a cold front to get the mature deer moving for us.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Val Verde County - 11/28/17 12:14 AM

I killed a pretty good 11 point on Thanksgiving. The bucks were starting to chase.

Re: Val Verde County - 02/02/18 03:38 PM

What happen to this thread? I know the hunter had the advantage late in the season. How did y'all do? I got lucky and pulled a nice 9 pointer. I'll Post it up later. Lets see them.

Re: Val Verde County - 02/02/18 11:07 PM

Here's a few from this year...

Re: Val Verde County - 02/03/18 01:47 AM

Looks like y'all had a good year. Got this guy second to the last day of the season. 21 1/2 inch spread 9 pointer.

Posted By: J W M

Re: Val Verde County - 02/03/18 11:29 PM

This probably isn't the place to ask, but I'm "technology challenged". How do I enable 3rd party hosting, so that I can view photos?

Re: Val Verde County - 02/03/18 11:34 PM

You can't see any photos?
Posted By: Dude Lebowski

Re: Val Verde County - 02/11/18 06:48 PM

I killed this one in early December.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Val Verde County - 02/11/18 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: J W M
This probably isn't the place to ask, but I'm "technology challenged". How do I enable 3rd party hosting, so that I can view photos?

That's actually a top secret but if you find out tell me.......
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Val Verde County - 02/11/18 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: snake oil
Originally Posted By: J W M

That's actually a top secret but if you find out tell me.......

Made google my browser and that enabled me to see the pictures.

Re: Val Verde County - 02/12/18 07:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Dude Lebowski
I killed this one in early December.

Damn dude that's one he'll of a deer.

Re: Val Verde County - 04/13/18 05:59 AM

What happen to this thread? I know the hunter had the advantage late in the season. How did y'all do? I got lucky and pulled a nice 9 pointer. I'll Post it up later. Lets see them.

Sorry for the late response.

It was a slow year for us. We saw a bunch of young stuff, took a couple of does, and had a mountain lion roaming around keeping the deer away. We never got a look at it bud while filling feeders we drove up on a kill so fresh that a fly hadn't landed on it yet.
Posted By: 120sportmod

Re: Val Verde County - 04/16/18 10:39 PM

Same with us, lots of young bucks but only a few older class deer. Also had trail cams of the lion came thru our lease had pics of him on each end of the lease only about 4 hours apart.

Re: Val Verde County - 04/27/18 04:08 PM

I hope those cougars help get rid of some of the damn goats, and sheep that roam the area.

Re: Val Verde County - 10/08/18 02:02 AM

Anyone been out recently? Heading out Friday to top off feeders and get ready for the season.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Val Verde County - 10/08/18 02:14 AM

Anyone been out recently? Heading out Friday to top off feeders and get ready for the season.

I haven’t been down that way in awhile. I didn’t get on the lease this year, but my buddy that still hunts there said it’s green. The deer weren’t really even hitting the feeders, yet.

Re: Val Verde County - 10/08/18 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky

I haven’t been down that way in awhile. I didn’t get on the lease this year, but my buddy that still hunts there said it’s green. The deer weren’t really even hitting the feeders, yet.

Was up that way for bow opener and it was super green and really the slowest deer movement seen in 4 years.

Re: Val Verde County - 10/10/18 02:44 PM

Getting some reports that we got a ton of rain yesterday and might have to cancel my trip. Can anyone shed some more light on how much we got?

Re: Val Verde County - 10/10/18 05:48 PM

Getting some reports that we got a ton of rain yesterday and might have to cancel my trip. Can anyone shed some more light on how much we got?

I've heard reports of up to 11 inches in a 4 hour span

Re: Val Verde County - 10/10/18 05:53 PM

I think amounts varied across the county. I believe the east side got more than the west.
Posted By: Dude Lebowski

Re: Val Verde County - 10/10/18 08:37 PM

Heading out Saturday. Got to feed my babies. cheers

Re: Val Verde County - 10/18/18 03:03 PM

Anyone driving on 163 / 1973 South of Ozona or 1024 North of Comstock? I see on drive Texas they have “closed” the roads but this has been done before and it was driveable. Looking at heading out tonight.

Thanks

Re: Val Verde County - 10/18/18 03:32 PM

Anyone driving on 163 / 1973 South of Ozona or 1024 North of Comstock? I see on drive Texas they have “closed” the roads but this has been done before and it was driveable. Looking at heading out tonight.

Thanks

I have not, but have noticed in the past road closure signs still in place on roads that we completely dry. I don't think road crews remove the signs for several days afterwards in some cases. Be safe out there

Re: Val Verde County - 10/19/18 02:20 PM

We were out there last week, it was green as all get-out. Not much action at the feeders. It's going to be a Advantage deer till we get a couple of good hard freezes. On the other hand the deer should be very healthy this year.

Re: Val Verde County - 10/19/18 02:32 PM

We were out there last weekend, Picked up a couple of Hogs and nice little Aoudad Ram for the Daughter. Saw quite a few deer, nothing going to the feeder (Hogs are the exception) All of the deer looked full and happy, Lots of water standing everywhere.

Re: Val Verde County - 10/20/18 11:03 PM

Thanks

Made it through on Friday morning to 1973 with no issues. 1973 was still officially closed and we pushed on. One water crossing had several inches maybe 10 in it still but all good. Then the dirt road was bad and had to use 4x4 to get down it. Activity has been a bit more as seeing it start to brown a bit.

Re: Val Verde County - 11/06/18 01:27 PM

Who made it out last weekend? We had a few guys go out and movement was slow and not much coming to the feeders which is expected. They did shoot an old 10pt that was on his way back down but that was it.

Re: Val Verde County - 11/06/18 02:52 PM

My dad made it out. He didn't see a thing. My vacation starts monday, but i think I'm gonna go fishing. I have another week of vacation in Dec, I think I'll go hunting then.

Re: Val Verde County - 11/06/18 07:30 PM

My son and grandson had deer coming to their respective feeders. Big 8 was elusive so no shots. Son had a sparring match between two young bucks, early Saturday morning.
I had does showing up but no antlers.
Roads were muddy.

Re: Val Verde County - 11/14/18 11:00 PM

Spent the weekend out, not a lot of movement but saw a couple of bucks a nice size sow that didn't make it home and an abundance of pigs that were a touch too elusive to drop. Didn't hear a lot of shots in the neighborhood, everything looked fat and happy. lots of water still standing, still a lot of green with tall grass, the weather got a little on the "it should be perfect for hunting (Cold and wet)" and felt good to have a fire and enjoy the evening. Game Warden that checked us indicated that not a lot of deer had been taken over the weekend but quite a few hogs. Just a quick status.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum