Texas Hunting Forum

Skunked x2

Posted By: pedrov23

Skunked x2 - 11/17/16 07:43 PM

Just got back from my second hunt north of Lampasas. Saw only three small bucks the first day, and absolutely nothing at all this morning. Feeders are working fine, plus I baited up with a bunch of other things that usually work. I've never seen it this slow out there before. On Sunday morning last, I heard lots of rifles going off all around me in the morning and during the evening hunt. Have to admit, that really gets to me, gets to my alpha maleness, makes me extremely competitive and pissed off. I try to remind myself just to enjoy the fact that I have a place to go to hunt out in the country, that the weather is fantastic, and all the other things that go along with hunting other than taking the deer. For the last four seasons I have not experienced this drought of deer. In fact, during the drought I had many more deer, and bigger ones coming in. Crazy thing is, on the way out to my property at about 2 AM, the sides of the roads are filled with big deer feeding, and as usual there was a big buck strutting his stuff walking across the street almost in downtown Lampasas. Guess I'll just have to keep going hunting. Oh well, things could be worse.
Posted By: rfamilyhunting

Re: Skunked x2 - 11/17/16 07:48 PM

Brightest supermoon since 1948, try again in two weeks.
Posted By: jrgocards

Re: Skunked x2 - 11/17/16 09:24 PM

Hunting isn't a competitive sport. Enjoy your time in the woods!!

JR
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Skunked x2 - 11/17/16 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: rfamilyhunting
Brightest supermoon since 1948, try again in two weeks.
Posted By: pedrov23

Re: Skunked x2 - 11/17/16 10:19 PM

JR, Believe me, I am appreciative and always enjoy my time in the woods. Still, can't help those competitive urges. Best I can do is manage it.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Skunked x2 - 11/17/16 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By: jrgocards
Hunting isn't a competitive sport. Enjoy your time in the woods!!

JR
Posted By: PMK

Re: Skunked x2 - 11/17/16 11:54 PM

sounds like you need to hunt at night in Lampasas clap bolt
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Skunked x2 - 11/18/16 12:10 AM

Super Moon has everything jacked up.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Skunked x2 - 11/18/16 02:25 AM

Moon, warm temps, plenty of rain that created great range conditions. The odds are against you, amigo. At least until this weather changes. Need a hard freeze to kill off some of the browse and ruin the acorns. As it is now, they don't have to search for food. There's an abundance.
Posted By: Mossback

Re: Skunked x2 - 11/18/16 02:42 AM

Yes, need freeze to spoil some of the groceries.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Skunked x2 - 11/18/16 07:04 AM

Been pretty slow many places. Deer like to eat other stuff when it finally rains.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum