Texas Hunting Forum

So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor......

Posted By: Ratrod101

So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/16/16 09:18 PM

...deer is ready but I asked how many boxes, he said 1 (16x14x11). It's been a long time since I've taken a deer to the processor but dropping off quarters, straps and neck from a 212lbs deer, which was about 70lbs in the cooler....seemed a little light.

This is what I asked for:
(2) dz tamales
(2) lbs of beef sticks
(4) lbs of chili meat
Remaining in burger

PickKing the meat up tomorrow but am I just be overzealous on what I should have expected?

[url=[URL=http://s1352.photobucket.com/user/arupert2007/media/IMG_0350_zpseqpmoowi.png.html][/url]][/url]
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/16/16 09:25 PM

So 6 lbs of requested meat plus the 2 dz tamales (maybe a pound or two at most there), I would expect the hamburger to be mixed with something to give a little more fat, so I would think about 25-30 lb of meat.

My guess is the cooler weight was slightly over-estimated, and the processor wasn;t overly careful with the processing job on the quarters and neck, leaving a lot on the bone for ease and quickness. MIx a little pork or fat in with the meat and that'll leave about 25-30 lbs of burger. I may be way off.

What processor did you use?

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/16/16 09:29 PM

Cinnamon Creek.....I may get there and be totally pleased and surprised but I guess I just "assumed" everything would not fit in a single box.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/16/16 09:33 PM

I killed a 115 lb field dressed hill country buck last year and couldn't fit all the meat I got back in a 40 QT yeti

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/16/16 09:33 PM

They will fit about 35-40 lbs easily in a box there.

How long ago did you drop off?

Wondering if I should call about mine I left about 2-3 weeks ago...
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/16/16 09:34 PM

It should be more than that. Boxed meat I usually get 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 boxes that size depending on how much sausage/burger meat I want. Since they mix pork in with the sausage a lot of sausage will cause it to be over 2 boxes.
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/16/16 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Ratrod101
Cinnamon Creek.....I may get there and be totally pleased and surprised but I guess I just "assumed" everything would not fit in a single box.

I guess it depends on the size of the box now, doesn't it?

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/16/16 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: John Humbert

I guess it depends on the size of the box now, doesn't it?
16x14x11

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/16/16 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
I killed a 115 lb field dressed hill country buck last year and couldn't fit all the meat I got back in a 40 QT yeti

Inside dimensions on a 45 qt yeti are 9.5 x 18.5 x 10"

There's a lot of insulation around that cooler.

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/16/16 09:38 PM

If it 11 wide 14 long and 16 tall you could fit quite a bit of meat in it

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/16/16 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye

good thing it was free roflmao

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/16/16 09:40 PM

good thing it was free roflmao

In my opinion (which ain't worth the paper its written on) that's the only way to get a yeti bang
Posted By: GLC

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/16/16 09:41 PM

Pretty small box for that size of deer. I would expect 2 boxes at least. I normally butterfly back straps, keep tenderloins, cut the balance to be made in tenderized cutlets and balance in bacon burger. That is just for a big doe. So 1.5 to 2 boxes easy. Especially that sized box.

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/16/16 09:47 PM

What processor?

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/16/16 09:48 PM

They will fit about 35-40 lbs easily in a box there.

How long ago did you drop off?

Wondering if I should call about mine I left about 2-3 weeks ago...

It took 2 1/2 weeks to get the call that it was ready.

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/16/16 09:49 PM

What processor?
Kenny Fred's in Bluff Dale
Posted By: Cleric

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/16/16 09:52 PM

So time for some math...

9.5x18x10 is 1757 cubic inches

11x14x16 is 2464 cubic inches

So the box is 30% bigger than the yeti...

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/16/16 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: GLC
Pretty small box for that size of deer. I would expect 2 boxes at least. I normally butterfly back straps, keep tenderloins, cut the balance to be made in tenderized cutlets and balance in bacon burger. That is just for a big doe. So 1.5 to 2 boxes easy. Especially that sized box.

All I know is that jokers straps were huge and it's neck was probably the thickest I've seen in a long time.

Not knocking CCR, just kinda caught me off guard.
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/16/16 09:53 PM

I carefully deboned a 110 lb. doe (all except for the neck) and got 32 lbs. of meat. So the boneless meat yield was 29% of total body weight.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/16/16 09:56 PM

I wouldn't panic. I picked up a buck one time, 63 lbs in a 1.5 cu ft box, and there was room left over.
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/16/16 10:03 PM

Wasn't there a thread on here awhile back about Cinnamon Creek shorting someone on their meat?

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/16/16 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By: kdkane1971
Wasn't there a thread on here awhile back about Cinnamon Creek shorting someone on their meat?

Not quite what I thought I had read but there were some positive and negative comments;
http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6495922/1

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/16/16 10:07 PM

Where was shot placement? Any chance some of the meat was no good and had to be discarded?

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/16/16 10:20 PM

Not quite what I thought I had read but there were some positive and negative comments;

Yeah but for every negative comment I've heard about them, I got a positive one...plus I've always have had awesome experience with their pro shop and the archery side of the business.

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/16/16 10:21 PM

Where was shot placement? Any chance some of the meat was no good and had to be discarded?

Didn't touch the shoulder, right behind where it should be.

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/16/16 10:23 PM

Yeah but for every negative comment I've heard about them, I got a positive one...plus I've always have had awesome experience with their pro shop and the archery side of the business.
maybe the guy with the positive comment got the guy with the negative comments extra meat roflmao
Posted By: jdd912

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/16/16 10:57 PM

I just got my sons back and from one mature buck that wasn't anywhere close to 212 lbs. we got 2 boxes back with 20 lbs breakfast sausage, 10 lbs summer, the rest in ground and chili and there were at at least 30 lbs of those plus about 8 packages of back strap and one package of whole tenders. I think u got shorted a bit. My dad just picked his up and had 8 packs of backstop and 60 lbs total of summer and smoked sausage.

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/16/16 11:14 PM

but don't forget that sausage is at least half pork and seasoning and not all venison. So those 50 lbs of sausage you got were all of about 20-25 lbs of venison. If he got it all in hamburger and didn't ask for it to be half and half (cinnamon creek gives the option how you want the burger meat at 50/50, 75/25 or custom) venison/additive, then he might be getting straight ground venison and that would amount to about one box from there.

OP, keep us posted and let us know how much you get up

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/16/16 11:38 PM

I did get it mixed with pork ...... ill post a pic when I pick it up Friday. Appreciate all the feedback
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/16/16 11:58 PM

My experience with Cinnamon Creek was about the same (similar size buck and completed product.)

Charlie
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/17/16 02:20 AM

popcorn juggle

I don't use CCR anymore, mixed reviews last couple of years. When they first moved to TX and opened as Syracuse and were in the back of the small strip center behind the gas station on 2499 when it was a black top in rural Flower Mound, they were good. Outgrew and moved to Keller and now at CCR near Cabella's. I like the pro shop and range but if I don't process myself (which is the norm), I take elsewhere.
Posted By: mdryg1970

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/17/16 03:21 PM

Note to self....
Don't use Cinnamon Creek, check.
Posted By: huntbrown

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/17/16 03:30 PM

I've had very bad luck there. Will never use again!!!!!
Posted By: huntbrown

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/17/16 03:32 PM

I did use fischers out of Muenster this year on a doe I shot in bow season and was very impressed

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/17/16 03:53 PM

maybe the guy with the positive comment got the guy with the negative comments extra meat roflmao

banana

Posted By: Txduckman

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/18/16 07:17 AM

Originally Posted By: huntbrown
I did use fischers out of Muenster this year on a doe I shot in bow season and was very impressed

I think they add a cow to each order there. I normally take it only gutted so they get all the meat off and get a ton of meat back. My buck is ready for pick up and it was a bit expensive per the phone call today though so I expect a lot back.
Posted By: foodieguy

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/19/16 05:00 AM

The processor I use will only take quartered deer; they weigh it all in front of you and take the temp of the meat going in so there isnt any question. Much easier to estimate what you will get back.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/19/16 10:41 AM

There are still people who think they get their own meat when they take it to a processor.
Maybe a very small operation, but you still take a chance.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/19/16 02:05 PM

I have yet to be pleased by any processor. Maybe I'm just too picky. I just roll my own now and nobody to complain about but myself.
Posted By: GLC

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/19/16 04:56 PM

Got an averaged size hog back from the processor yesterday and got 2 boxes of meat, 67 pounds. No fillers added to anything just pork.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/19/16 05:16 PM

All the more reason to do your own.

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/22/16 01:24 AM

Just picked up my son's deer-they jammed 52lbs in a single
box...everything looks very well packaged, labeled and overall I'm happy. Not the cheapest and he'll who knows if I got my deer back but you REALLY don't know that about most processors I would assume. No reason at this point I'm unhappy or would go back-unless it doesn't pass the taste test or ruins prematually
Posted By: chrswr

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/22/16 01:45 AM

I do my own. I always weigh my meat after im done deboning, and before I add beef fat or pork to it...and just in deer meat alone I get about at least 45 lbs, and up to 55lbs. Every once in a while with a large buck i can get a bit more. Now if I add beef fat or pork obviously the weight goes up.

Hope that helps

cw
Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/22/16 03:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Cleric
So time for some math...

9.5x18x10 is 1757 cubic inches

11x14x16 is 2464 cubic inches

So the box is 30% bigger than the yeti...

So time for a math refresher. A percentage increase is calculated by finding the diference of the 2 sizes and dividing it by the original size.

In this case, 2,464-1,757= 707
707/1,757= 40.24%.

Sorry about being the math nazi. I'm not proud of myself.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: So dropped my son's deer off and got a call from the processor...... - 11/22/16 04:11 AM

Guess we are lucky our processor here in Normangee does great work and you will get your meat back.. I do my own but if was in a hurry or recommending a friend I don't have to worry bout mess like this. bad reviews are usually what they are anyway
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum