Texas Hunting Forum

Deer Feeders in East TX

Posted By: Brother Phil

Deer Feeders in East TX - 11/14/16 03:54 AM

I am on my first E TX deer lease. I have taken a 8 pt with a 15" spread, and my buddy has shot a doe. The ranch we are on is loaded with oak trees. There are acorns everywhere. The deer are ignoring the feeders. Do you guys think, that under these conditions, the feeders are a wasted effort? I had been on a Mills Co lease, where there were so many deer that a feeder was not needed, and I did not have one. I had a box blind set up near some trails, and never even considered putting a feeder out. On this lease, there is not a high deer population, and at first I thought a feeder would make a significant difference.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Deer Feeders in East TX - 11/14/16 03:56 AM

If you want hogs yes. Otherwise no. Hunted south of rusk 3 years and had maybe a dozen pics of deer st feeders.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Deer Feeders in East TX - 11/14/16 03:56 AM

And of those pics none once they started dropping.
Posted By: Bcap

Re: Deer Feeders in East TX - 11/14/16 07:29 PM

I hunt near Palestine and Pert and we have two feeders on about 100 acres. The deer have been hitting the feeders pretty regularly there. We had a nice 8 point with an 18 in spread in the camera till my dad killed it Friday morning. I seen a small 7 point and 6 does in the feeder on Thursday evening. Also saw a little spike chasing a doe across our open field. Here is the 8 point dad shot.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Deer Feeders in East TX - 11/14/16 07:51 PM

I think they will start hitting corn as it gets colder.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Deer Feeders in East TX - 11/14/16 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Bcap
I hunt near Palestine and Pert and we have two feeders on about 100 acres. The deer have been hitting the feeders pretty regularly there. We had a nice 8 point with an 18 in spread in the camera till my dad killed it Friday morning. I seen a small 7 point and 6 does in the feeder on Thursday evening. Also saw a little spike chasing a doe across our open field. Here is the 8 point dad shot.
nice 8
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Deer Feeders in East TX - 11/14/16 08:06 PM

It takes them awhile. Mostly doe and young deer. I watch deer just cruise by the feeder like its in their way.
I wull drop a 50 pound bag of salt from time to time.
Posted By: New Hunter

Re: Deer Feeders in East TX - 11/14/16 08:10 PM

Does near the feeder in Sabine County. The feeders definitely help. I have 2 feeders on our land and both have frequent visitors.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum