Texas Hunting Forum

Doe wearing an orange vest

Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/12/16 06:59 PM

I'm sitting in my stand yesterday afternoon and out walks a doe in an orange vest! I think I've gone crazy and shake my head. She's still there! I can't quiet grasp what I'm actually seeing and I know my husband and friends will not believe me so I've got to get pictures for proof! My camera is an old cheap one so sorry for the bad pictures. It was the wildest thing I've ever seen and one of the most exciting hunting experiences I've ever had!!!!
She walks out about 150 yards away and slowly moves around. She keeps looking over her shoulder in the woods. Soon a really nice shooter buck steps out and is following her. I think I want to take him but I don't want to disturb this once in a life time event I'm watching. So I sit and watch and try to take pictures as they begin their chase across the field, turn around, run back, turn again and run full speed across the field again and out of sight. It was awesome to watch!!! I assume she is someone's pet and I hope she finds her way home!

You can see her on the right and the buck on the left behind mesquites, sorry its hard to find them

He steps out from the mesquite and stops and looks at me. Sorry it's blurry

The chase begins

They turn around and head back

That's the last picture I took. I think I wanted to focus on the show and not my camera
I hope y'all can see enough to enjoy it too !
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/12/16 07:03 PM

Thats funny. Got to not shoot her for creativity
Posted By: JH117

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/12/16 07:31 PM

Hunter orange huh? Dang those deer are getting smarter!
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/12/16 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: JH117

Or was it attempted suicide by hunter?
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/12/16 07:50 PM

Great, I'm wearing camouflage and most likely will get shot, while she gets a free pass.
Posted By: hawlinbass

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/13/16 07:25 AM

That is awesome! Great job on resisting to shoot. I may have had to shoot the "shooter buck" but Sometimes you get more satisfaction out of just observing. up
Posted By: Western

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/13/16 09:23 AM

roflmao Cool photos Pink, I'm guilty of putting orange collars on a couple of tame does on our old farm grin Don't know if I could have coaxed a full vest on though rofl
Posted By: redhaze

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/13/16 11:27 AM

Nice pictures
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/13/16 12:19 PM

The rut must be really on in your area - the deer have taken to wearing lingerie! I picture some little old lady going to a lot of trouble getting that thing on her "pet" right outside her back door.
Posted By: cva34

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/13/16 01:13 PM

Cute pic and comments..we had a pet for 3 years that came into camp..We kept a wide orange collar on her..All you had to do is rattle a FRITO bag and she would come a running and stick her nose in and eat them..
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/13/16 02:05 PM

Originally Posted By: hawlinbass
That is awesome! Great job on resisting to shoot. I may have had to shoot the "shooter buck" but Sometimes you get more satisfaction out of just observing. up

roflmao
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/13/16 02:19 PM

Awesome experience. Thanks for sharing it and taking pictures!!!!! Not sure if I would have believed it without the pics to prove it.
Posted By: chicklitter

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/13/16 04:20 PM

Last Sunday while sitting in the blind my husband and I were going back and forth on the weirdest thing we could possibly see while sitting in the blind. I tossed out Harambe. He suggested a unicorn. But not even with my imagination could I have thought of a doe wearing an orange vest. roflmao That is such an awesome story and experience.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/13/16 05:18 PM

Very cool story, Pink and glad you got pics. I hope no one shoots her.
Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/13/16 05:43 PM

Thanks everyone! Glad you all liked it! It was a very neat and rare sight! That's all we've been talking about and now everyone here wants to see her up Funny thing is she is not on any game cam pics. If she shows up I will let y'all know.
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/13/16 07:23 PM

I know you can buy vests for livestock down to dog size.

Thanks for sharing this, good to know someone cares about their yard deer!
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/13/16 07:41 PM

Hey Ranch Dog, is that an Albino deer? A HF or LF?
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/13/16 09:36 PM

Cool story Pink. Thanks for sharing pics. Hope whom ever's pet it is survives the season.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/13/16 11:33 PM

We have some friends that have a pet doe that wears an orange vest during hunting season. Always has her fawn or fawns at their house raises them and the fawns go off. Daisy the doe never leaves except during the rut and she may be gone for days at a time.
Cool that you got that pic, I would imagine that it was a surprise!
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/13/16 11:45 PM

That's a story that'll go in for years. Too funny!
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/13/16 11:47 PM

I had one wearing an orange bandana around its neck on a place near Aledo I hunted year before last. I was afraid it was MORE likely to get shot.
Posted By: Buzzard Breath

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/14/16 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Or was it attempted suicide by hunter?

if it is a hunter attempting suicide he's gonna get more than he bargained for when that buck catches him!!!
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/14/16 07:24 PM

I've seen it all now.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/14/16 08:05 PM

I've ran across a couple of deer in the woods wearing collars, but never a vest. That must be one tame deer to get that vest on it.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/14/16 08:08 PM

That is too cool. Got to be a neighbor's pet.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/14/16 09:08 PM

You just never know what your gonna see in the great outdoors. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: DHS274

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/15/16 11:53 PM

Grew up in upstate NY, farm I hunted on had rescued a button buck in 1978, he became part of the farm family, wore a big orange collar during hunting season because he would go into rut and there was no containing him. Not friendly at all during the rut, so I will not call him a pet. He grew to be an 8 point, he died naturally a few years after I joined the service. Wish we had trial cameras in use back then to get photos. He ran around looking like one of Santa's Reindeer, a very fond memory.
Posted By: Mossback

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/16/16 05:28 AM

In the late 80s, we had a yearling 4-point buck whose antlers had been painted fluorescent orange. One of the strangest things that I ever saw while hunting. We figured it was a neighbor's pet deer. I have never seen a deer with a vest before. Definitely a first.
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/16/16 05:49 PM

Kind of odd, don't know what I'd do. Something I'm surprised no one else has brought up... It's illegal to have a 'pet' deer in Texas.
Posted By: Jasb

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/17/16 12:46 PM

We had one we put a collar on, she came around for 4 years! I moved down the road and told the new owner, he said she still comes to the feeder. Very cool pics.
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/17/16 05:10 PM

We had a collared doe that hung around our place a lot. She has this favorite feeder that she hung out at and we got into a habit of spinning some corn out every time she was there. She got so used to that, that if you walked right on by and got into the stand she'd walk up to the base of the ladder and just stare at you as if she was saying "hey a$$hole, push the test button"

Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/17/16 05:17 PM

Being a pet, she'd probably be fork tender food
Posted By: Buzzard Breath

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/17/16 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

not many cats roaming your neighborhood I bet!
Posted By: Hogflyer

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/18/16 12:16 AM

Neat pics, im sure she is someones so called pet! TPWD doesn't like it! keep deer in captivity
they frown on, im sure some buck will find love some day there!

I have 3 that come up to the barn just about every night now, old tortillas, bread, pancakes are
the favorites......
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/19/16 04:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Buzzard Breath
Originally Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

not many cats roaming your neighborhood I bet!
Cats are safe.......but I do love some poodles & noodles. hammer
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/19/16 12:31 PM

That's pretty cool, thanks for posting!!
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Doe wearing an orange vest - 11/19/16 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
The rut must be really on in your area - the deer have taken to wearing lingerie

WINNER!

Originally Posted By: hawlinbass
.......but Sometimes you get more satisfaction out of just observing. up

This is what happens when you wake up one morning and you're not mad at the deer anymore!

cheers Good story & neat photos...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum