Texas Hunting Forum

Heading to Kansas Baby!!!

Posted By: sqiggy

Heading to Kansas Baby!!! - 11/11/16 02:53 PM

I leave out in the morning. Should be on stand Sun morning. Plan on a week there. Weather don't look to good, (hot) but rut should be kicking in. Suppose to hunt a new piece of ground this year. Got to hunt it the last couple of days of my hunt last year and saw one shooter bedded up with a doe out in the wide open. Would and could have made a stalk on him, but with over an inch of ice on the ground, wasn't any way. The guy that hunted it told me before he left, he'd seen 4 shooters off one stand. I'm hoping to end my drought. It's been over 5 years since I let the air out of a big ole Ks buck!!!
Posted By: Birdog62

Re: Heading to Kansas Baby!!! - 11/11/16 02:56 PM

Good luck! up
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Heading to Kansas Baby!!! - 11/11/16 02:57 PM

Lucky you!!!!
Posted By: deerhunter1956

Re: Heading to Kansas Baby!!! - 11/11/16 02:59 PM

Have a great time cant wait to see pics!
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Heading to Kansas Baby!!! - 11/11/16 03:05 PM

Good luck. They have been chasing where I hunt since last week. New bucks are moving through on camera and they are responding to grunt calls. Still warm though and still an awful lot of green stuff
Posted By: Triplesnake

Re: Heading to Kansas Baby!!! - 11/11/16 03:23 PM

Good luck! deer2

Re: Heading to Kansas Baby!!! - 11/11/16 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Good luck. They have been chasing where I hunt since last week. New bucks are moving through on camera and they are responding to grunt calls. Still warm though and still an awful lot of green stuff
What part of the state??
Seen where they have had a few mornings of frost. That should knock most of the green back. Just don't like the forecast for this coming week. Seems that these good cold fronts are running behind schedule. Usually, this 3rd week in November up there, the highs are around the 50's, not the 70's!!!
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Heading to Kansas Baby!!! - 11/11/16 05:01 PM

Good luck!
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Heading to Kansas Baby!!! - 11/11/16 05:24 PM

Good Luck!! Take lots of pics.
Posted By: Eric Reeves

Re: Heading to Kansas Baby!!! - 11/11/16 05:55 PM

I'll be heading up there next week for a couple of days. Hopefully it will be in full swing.

Re: Heading to Kansas Baby!!! - 11/11/16 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: sqiggy
What part of the state??
Seen where they have had a few mornings of frost. That should knock most of the green back. Just don't like the forecast for this coming week. Seems that these good cold fronts are running behind schedule. Usually, this 3rd week in November up there, the highs are around the 50's, not the 70's!!!

It's still coming down from Muzzle loader season when I hunted and it was 102*. I didn't see crap.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Heading to Kansas Baby!!! - 11/11/16 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: sqiggy
What part of the state??

I'm on the south side almost straight East of Wichita

Re: Heading to Kansas Baby!!! - 11/11/16 10:54 PM

I'm gonna be about half way between Hutch and Stafford.
Posted By: mbavo

Re: Heading to Kansas Baby!!! - 11/12/16 03:07 AM

Good luck !
Hope you get a good one !

We have reports where we hunt that the young bucks are beginning to chase does.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Heading to Kansas Baby!!! - 11/12/16 02:06 PM

Good luck

Re: Heading to Kansas Baby!!! - 11/21/16 02:44 AM

I just got back. It was a very tough week. Temps got all the way to 81 on Wed. But Thursday night, a front moved in and brought in a cold north west wind, which was what I was waiting all week for to hunt this one stand. At 8am, I got it done. The biggest 8 point I've ever seen. My guy in Ks said he would go 155-160. All I know is he is HEAVY. To tired right now to get some pics up but will try tomorrow along with the story.

Re: Heading to Kansas Baby!!! - 11/21/16 05:16 PM

Here he is!!! Shot him at 8am Fri. morning, fell behind some cedars about 50 yds to my left, was still alive at 9am when I went looking, backed out for a couple more hours, then went back and he was belly up then. Made a 35yd shot, my longest kill shot ever. He didn't follow the script. Supposed to have been a 10yd shot. This was the toughest hunt I have ever had in Kansas, but it paid off at the end.

Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Heading to Kansas Baby!!! - 11/21/16 05:20 PM

jaw. dropper. wow.
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Heading to Kansas Baby!!! - 11/21/16 05:45 PM

His right G3 has more mass than the last buck I killed had altogether. Congrats!
Posted By: txcornhusker

Re: Heading to Kansas Baby!!! - 11/21/16 06:35 PM

Very nice! cheers
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: Heading to Kansas Baby!!! - 11/21/16 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: txcornhusker
Very nice! cheers

Re: Heading to Kansas Baby!!! - 11/21/16 06:49 PM

Quit BS'ing us. We all know there are no deer in KS. wink

Seriously...That's a hell of an eight point. The mass is insane
Posted By: rattler03

Re: Heading to Kansas Baby!!! - 11/21/16 06:51 PM

that's a heckuva a deer and an incredible 8 pointer. Exceptional mass and tine length are going to add up to quite a hefty score. clap

Re: Heading to Kansas Baby!!! - 11/21/16 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Grosvenor
His right G3 has more mass than the last buck I killed had altogether. Congrats!
Where that G3 and main beam intersect, it's 4 inches wide.
My guy in Ks said he would go 155-160. On my last deer, he guessed at 165 which I thought no way, maybe more like 150. It came out at 166+, so he got real close.
So, I put a tape on him this morning just to see and using the B&C score sheet on their web site, it came out to 148 1/8", with 8 2/8" of deductions. So, without the deductions, I'm looking at 156 and some change. Guess my guy doesn't calculate deductions!!! grin
Posted By: deerhunter1956

Re: Heading to Kansas Baby!!! - 11/21/16 09:05 PM

That is a great 8 point congrats!!
Posted By: 21xsElite

Re: Heading to Kansas Baby!!! - 11/21/16 09:24 PM

I wa up there last week as well and it was tough for the most part until this deer walked in.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Heading to Kansas Baby!!! - 11/21/16 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: deerhunter1956
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Heading to Kansas Baby!!! - 11/21/16 09:44 PM

Nice deer guys! Congrats
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Heading to Kansas Baby!!! - 11/21/16 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Originally Posted By: deerhunter1956