Texas Hunting Forum

First deer

Posted By: hook_n_line

First deer - 11/07/16 04:50 PM

So let me ask you, what would you allow a child to take for their first deer? My stepson (14yrs) had never been in the woods until I came along 8 years ago. He has become a great woodsman and sportsman. He has hunted with me numerous times and has taken dove, quail, rabbits raccoons and feral hogs. Last year was the year for his first deer but as luck would have it buck fever set in and he didn't take the shot at a doe. grin All good cause that shows that he has listened to my teaching. He practiced all year taking pigs and what not with his .17hmr and has been very successful. Yesterday morning I set him on stand and gave him instructions to take a doe, an old buck or one that was slick on one side. He texts me and said he had a young deer that was slick on one side, and 2 points on the other and asked if he should shoot. I told him before you over think it or talk yourself out of it, take him. (I know the deer and and his daddy was always a 7 point.)2 minutes later boooooom! I eased over to him and saw the most excited and happy kid ever. Now that he has his first deer out of his system it becomes a new ballgame teaching him about management. This will be the fun part.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: First deer - 11/07/16 04:56 PM

Congrats to him on his first deer. He sounds like he is interested so let him keep hunting but taking what is legal or fits the management goals on the place.
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: First deer - 11/07/16 05:03 PM

up
Posted By: redchevy

Re: First deer - 11/07/16 05:04 PM

I think what makes you happy as a hunter changes as time goes by.

When we started my dad let us shoot whatever we wanted(no antler restrictions) I shot a lot of young bucks probably because they were the first thing out there and a lot of does. After a few years I wasn't happy with just the same old little bucks and that is where management began. Now we feed protein do population surveys shoot for numbers and try to let the bucks we are looking for reach maturity. Its been an evolutionary process for us but every step has been a blast and I wouldn't change a thing, great time spent with my brother and dad.
Posted By: don k

Re: First deer - 11/07/16 05:27 PM

It is non of my business,just be very careful how you go about teaching him what you think hunting should be. it. Don't ruin hunting for him.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: First deer - 11/07/16 05:30 PM

I agree with don, managed ranches and new hunters probably don't always get along in what they want to shoot. If my dad would have tried to make me wait for a mature buck I don't know if I would still be hunting today, would have been little to no activity early on.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: First deer - 11/07/16 05:55 PM

Sounds like you've done a good job incorporating respect for the animal to him. The fact he asked, coupled with his excitement, tells me you're doing great. Keep it up! up

We had a kid at our place a couple of years ago that got skunked because no legal deer showed up, and he pouted and moped and talked about 'killing them all anyway'. When he did finally take a doe, he wasn't even excited, and his grandfather cleaned it for him while he went on and on about not getting to shoot a buck. Ungrateful little kid, it really put a bad taste in my mouth.
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: First deer - 11/07/16 07:03 PM

Why would you NOT let them shoot ANY deer that is legal to shoot??

I have never understood why people say a doe is good for a kid but not me. I need that trophy. Why not let the kid shoot the Trophy??
confused2
Posted By: Brent

Re: First deer - 11/07/16 07:54 PM

I agree. I got on a new lease last year in west TX, great lease, great guys, tons of deer, and it's managed. My 10yr old son had never shot a deer, because the lease we were on in AK wasn't any good. 1st day in the stand we watched 6's, 8's, and even a young 10 eat corn all morning long. He knew why he couldn't shoot them, but he was so bummed. He's a nice kid, not whiney, bratty, or entitled. That afternoon at a different location we were sitting there and a 4.5yr old 12 that had only been on camera for 2 weeks walks up. OMG he was the happiest kid ever, you couldn't wipe the smile off his face. This year he got a 4.5yr to 5.5, 11 point during youth season, same reaction.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: First deer - 11/07/16 08:01 PM

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus

I have never understood why people say a doe is good for a kid but not me. I need that trophy. Why not let the kid shoot the Trophy??
confused2

Gota earn it, work your way up etc
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: First deer - 11/07/16 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Congrats to him on his first deer. He sounds like he is interested so let him keep hunting but taking what is legal or fits the management goals on the place.
Originally Posted By: George - w/ Map My Ranch
up

Re: First deer - 11/07/16 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

confused2

Gota earn it, work your way up etc

What are they earning. The right to shoot a "more" legal deer or the right not to hurt some guys feelings because the kid had and opportunity to shoot a better deer than they did??

I just don't get that mentality. My first deer was a South Texas 6 pointer was bigger than my dads 8 pointer.
My sons first was a huge 9 pointer that we had never seen on camera.
Not a jealous bone in my body. I was sitting with him when he took the shot and I could not have been more proud.

Re: First deer - 11/07/16 08:53 PM

Its nothing about being jealous...its about teaching a kid to be thankful of what hes offered.. be a doe, a spike, a 6point or what have you... When my dad was on a lease he took me and told me what I could shoot... We passed up plenty big ones that were young or off limits to wait for a doe, or old buck etc... always went like that in the family either way not being on the lease... even at home property.. your first deer was a doe or a spike... then when you were ready you got your chance at a big one... always had to earn it... just different upbringings I guess

Re: First deer - 11/07/16 09:22 PM

I'm proud of this kid. He helps me fill feeders and mows on the tractor so he has earned his keep. His options were a doe, an old buck or the unbranched buck. When he had a deer in front of him he still asked for permission to shoot. 14, hunts alone and isn't trigger happy I love it. He asked if he could shoot, i say yes and hear a boom a few minutes later. My reaction was "Hell Yeah"! I look up and say "yes he gotem". The stand is only 50 yards from the house so I was trying not to make a sound between his text and that boom. I got 3 more text on my way "I got him" "OMG he's down"
"I can't stop shaking" I'm laughing all the way and peak around the corner and he starts yelling "he's down can you see him he's on the ground right there. I can't believe it"! He hands me the gun down takes a few minutes to get down on those wobbly knees and asks "do you see him? he's right there." Right there was 136 yards away. lol... Did i say i was proud? Well I am.
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: First deer - 11/07/16 10:33 PM

worthless

But I still have a good idea from your description. Congrats to you and your stepson!

Re: First deer - 11/08/16 01:03 PM

Its nothing about being jealous...its about teaching a kid to be thankful of what hes offered.. be a doe, a spike, a 6point or what have you... When my dad was on a lease he took me and told me what I could shoot... We passed up plenty big ones that were young or off limits to wait for a doe, or old buck etc... always went like that in the family either way not being on the lease... even at home property.. your first deer was a doe or a spike... then when you were ready you got your chance at a big one... always had to earn it... just different upbringings I guess

I hear what you are saying and I agree on the management aspects. I was not meaning a Brown and its down hunting.

What I don't get is this....
I have heard of guys being in the stand with their kid and basically push them aside when a "big one" stepped out because the kid had not "earned" the big one yet.
When my son was younger, I did not carry rifle when we hunted together. He did.
If a deer was going to be harvested, he was going to do it.
Of course I gave him guidance and we discussed the deer he was going to shoot but when he shot his first buck, it was a mature 9. I would not have him behind the rifle if I did not feel confident in his ability. He was 13 and had also spent many hours at the range. He had also shot 2 does when he was 10 on a TYHP management hunt.

Re: First deer - 11/08/16 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Big_Ag
worthless

But I still have a good idea from your description. Congrats to you and your stepson!

Would help huh? grin
Posted By: fbchunter

Re: First deer - 11/08/16 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: redchevy
I agree with don, managed ranches and new hunters probably don't always get along in what they want to shoot. If my dad would have tried to make me wait for a mature buck I don't know if I would still be hunting today, would have been little to no activity early on.

Spot on

Re: First deer - 11/08/16 06:47 PM

I hear what you are saying and I agree on the management aspects. I was not meaning a Brown and its down hunting.

What I don't get is this....
I have heard of guys being in the stand with their kid and basically push them aside when a "big one" stepped out because the kid had not "earned" the big one yet.
When my son was younger, I did not carry rifle when we hunted together. He did.
If a deer was going to be harvested, he was going to do it.
Of course I gave him guidance and we discussed the deer he was going to shoot but when he shot his first buck, it was a mature 9. I would not have him behind the rifle if I did not feel confident in his ability. He was 13 and had also spent many hours at the range. He had also shot 2 does when he was 10 on a TYHP management hunt.

I see what your saying to but im still saying im not going to let my kid shoot a giant for his first deer... mainly because I still feel he needs to earn that and 2 daddy pays the bills and im shooting the biggin roflmao
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum