Texas Hunting Forum

Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease.

Posted By: mike1780

Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/07/16 12:24 AM

We have issues with dogs at our lease. They don't seem to be strays as they all have collars on them. They have been chasin deer. We have no clue who the owners are. We talked to game warden and he doesn't have an answe. Jus curios on yalls input.
Posted By: swmays

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/07/16 12:34 AM

you're kidding, right?
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/07/16 12:41 AM

You've actually witnessed them 'chasing deer' (as in a dog right behind a deer, or deer running past you, followed shortly by dogs, or dogs running in on feeding deer, etc)? Or you just think/assume they are?

I'm not challenging you...I hope you understand. But in my 45 yrs. of deer hunting, I've seen a LOT of people claim dogs were 'chasing' their deer, when all they have really seen (verified) is that some dogs were ON their property.
Posted By: KennyLee

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/07/16 12:54 AM

I've seen dogs chase deer exactly once. Were wild dogs and ruined a hunt. That was roughly 35 years ago.
Posted By: shea.mcphail

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/07/16 01:11 AM

I can tell you on our family farm I've watched our three dogs pursue deer in the open pasture. Safe to say they get put up when we go to our blinds otherwise they follow. They have also been known to go after hogs and coyotes.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/07/16 01:16 AM

Contact the local Sheriff's Office and inquire. They may have an Animal Control Officer that can assist.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/07/16 01:26 AM

Dogs appearing on my property are considered "feral," regardless of whether or not they are sporting a collar. If their owners can't/won't keep their dogs under control, I'll do it for them.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/07/16 01:43 AM

I've seen dogs chase deer. I also saw the same dog eat my corn .
Is it ongoing issue? Or they making the best of opening weekend
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/07/16 01:43 AM

I was in a blind in Oklahoma and saw 2 white dogs walking along trail. Not chasing deer, but t not helping either. They were pets and I'm a dog lover, so let them pass. A week later the ranch manager informed me that he caught the neighbors white dogs eating his chickens. In his words, "he rolled 'em." Problem solved I guess.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/07/16 02:07 AM

I had a picture of 3 dogs on my camera last week. I wouldn't shoot a dog, but i pay good money to hunt.
Posted By: Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/07/16 02:44 AM

Shoot , Shovel
I have seen lots of dogs chasing deer over the years.

I think there is nothing worst than stupid Azz people who bring animals out to the country and dump them thinking they will live. Must be Clinton supporters !
Posted By: Zach S

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/07/16 03:24 AM

My dad and I saw three dogs from the turkey farm chase a small buck and 3 does this afternoon. Two beagles and some kind of mix were baying and chasing them into the field and then Down the creek bed.

Dogs won't get a second chance at the land if we see them again
Posted By: mike1780

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/07/16 11:57 AM

Yes a few of us have witnessed the deer being chased by these dogs. Warden said even though they are on our property. We could face felony charges for shooting someone's pet if they can prove it was intentional. I was thinking maybe he would actually go talk to a few neighbors but nope no help.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/07/16 12:32 PM

SSS.

If you shoot it and a neighbor reports it, it was accidental because the dog ran out in front of the deer you were aiming at.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/07/16 01:26 PM

had a place some years back near Ft Hood - guys get transferred so they would dump their dogs off in the country. They would pack up and chase cattle, deer, etc. Once shot at they got real smart and elusive - bad deal
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/07/16 01:37 PM

That's an easy problem to fix
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/07/16 01:41 PM

popcorn
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/07/16 01:48 PM

SSS

You have already screwed up and said too much.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/07/16 02:08 PM

A friend of a friend of a friend's cousin had a sheep farmer as a neighbor once and his sheep dogs would break from the goats and chase deer around the feeders. The friend of a friend of a friends cousin told the neighbor about this and supposedly he just laughed it off. From what I understand, the sheep dogs came back a couple of more times and then suddenly where never heard or seen again. Strange.
Posted By: bp3

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/07/16 02:09 PM

Buzzards have to eat
Posted By: Chunky Monkey

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/07/16 02:35 PM

Shoot the dogs and throw their bodies off in the woods somewhere.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/07/16 02:53 PM

Bottom line this is not a dog problem. This is a people problem. Any responsible dog owner knows dogs will get in trouble if left to roam any woodlot, much less ranch land. Most people that do not keep up with their dogs have no qualms about getting another dog shortly after their Rover failed to come home, so SSS will only be a short time resolution. Scout out any houses in the area during the middle of the day and ask some questions, especially if you have pics of the dogs. Inform game wardens, police, and animal control and I bet you run across someone that knows who owns the dogs. In all likelihood, the dogs belong to someone with a couple of miles of your lease.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/07/16 02:59 PM

Had my neighbors dogs come over to my property very close to my feeder while I was bow hunting. Was annoying to say the least. Made the mistake of telling them to get! They started barking at me and most likely ruined my hunt. He's a good neighbor I texted him about it and he apologized. Take the High Road when dealing with your neighbors.
Posted By: swmays

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/07/16 03:45 PM

A neighbor was keeping his son's large dog. The dog liked to visit my feeder. I mentioned this to my neighbor. He said "I'll try and keep him in. Aim high if you can".
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/07/16 03:53 PM

The solution to this problem is to shoot the deer. confused2
Posted By: DPirates80

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/07/16 04:12 PM

Lemme have them dogs and bring em to Louisiana to chase some deer. That is fun over there!
Posted By: aerangis

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/07/16 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.
Shoot , Shovel
I have seen lots of dogs chasing deer over the years.

I think there is nothing worst than stupid Azz people who bring animals out to the country and dump them thinking they will live. Must be Clinton supporters !

My folks live near a state park and get strays or dumped pets at their back door or on their pastures quite a bit.
Posted By: Erich

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/08/16 06:06 PM

If the owner's were going to take care of them then you wouldn't be having the problem you are. I assume you are out in the county somewhere if you're hunting so I would think there are no form of city services out there. Sheriff is not going to chase them around. that just leaves you.

its not always nice. but its not real different than shooting snakes or skunks or anything else that you want to be rid of.
Posted By: Jasb

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/08/16 06:54 PM

SSS
Posted By: don k

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/08/16 08:31 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
SSS

You have already screwed up and said too much.
Redchevy got it right. If you had to ask what to do you probably will not do what needs to be done.
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/08/16 08:34 PM

rifle aim
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/08/16 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: mike1780
Yes a few of us have witnessed the deer being chased by these dogs. Warden said even though they are on our property. We could face felony charges for shooting someone's pet if they can prove it was intentional. I was thinking maybe he would actually go talk to a few neighbors but nope no help.

They tried to bite you? Or they chased cattle? Well now game over! peep
Posted By: HuntinAg02

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/09/16 04:25 PM

We've had dogs on our lease and we've caught them running the deer multiple times. Land owner told us if we see them to shoot them. He talked with the game warden before opening weekend and the game warden told him absolutely do NOT shoot the dogs. If they belong to someone, they can press charges and you can get heavily fined or go to jail for killing their dog.

The landowner was able to locate owner of 4 of the dogs and the owner got them off... but there are still two.
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/09/16 05:01 PM

Not entirely true about pressing charges. We ran into a situation a few years ago, we had a pasture with about 50 yearlings in it, one day neighbors dog hemmed them up in a corner and they were about to leave the country. One of the guys shot the dog, to avoid a huge issue. Neighbors called the sheriff office, GW showed up in a few minutes. Came over asked what happened, turned to the neighbor and said by Texas law we had every right to kill the dog. Now that is more to do with livestock I believe, but if a dog will run deer probably will run cattle too.
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/09/16 07:18 PM

rifle then bury, then shut up
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/09/16 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
SSS.

Too late.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/09/16 07:33 PM

Hmmm...... What dog? Didn't see no dog? peep
Posted By: don k

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/09/16 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: HuntinAg02
We've had dogs on our lease and we've caught them running the deer multiple times. Land owner told us if we see them to shoot them. He talked with the game warden before opening weekend and the game warden told him absolutely do NOT shoot the dogs. If they belong to someone, they can press charges and you can get heavily fined or go to jail for killing their dog.

The landowner was able to locate owner of 4 of the dogs and the owner got them off... but there are still two.
I have talked to the local LEO's a few times about dogs. They have always told me to shoot them. There is a leash law here and if a dog is loose it either goes to the pound or the dump.
Posted By: Someone

Re: Having issues with dogs chasing deer at lease. - 11/16/16 11:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Jkd106
Not entirely true about pressing charges. We ran into a situation a few years ago, we had a pasture with about 50 yearlings in it, one day neighbors dog hemmed them up in a corner and they were about to leave the country. One of the guys shot the dog, to avoid a huge issue. Neighbors called the sheriff office, GW showed up in a few minutes. Came over asked what happened, turned to the neighbor and said by Texas law we had every right to kill the dog. Now that is more to do with livestock I believe, but if a dog will run deer probably will run cattle too.

I love dogs like everyone, but...

if they are pets and you live in a less rural area with law enforcement that does not have enough to do you will probably get in trouble for shooting them for just running deer

on the other hand if they are harming live stock it is game over

so if you are concerned with the issue and have to take the dogs out get some old used up chickens or a goat carcass or some dairy steer that did not make it and chunk it out there on the back 40 and put the dogs next to it
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum