Texas Hunting Forum

Fayette County

Posted By: CisternStoreHunter

Fayette County - 11/03/16 08:21 PM

Any hunters in the Fayette County area?What have y'all been seeing? I hunt in the Cistern area and just as of last weekend deer have started to come off acorns and to corn. Have not seen any rutting activity yet though
Posted By: J Mac

Re: Fayette County - 11/11/16 04:05 AM

Hunt around West Point, no rutt as of last weekend. Will be there tomorrow morning!

Been watching a 10 point on the cameras and saw it once during bow season, but not close enough for a shot.

Re: Fayette County - 11/11/16 04:47 AM

I hunt between West Point and Cistern and didn't see much at all for a rut. Everything we saw was moving, nothing was coming to corn. I did manage to see a couple of young (legal) bucks I let walk. On an interesting note, I did see a Javelina. Is it illegal to shoot a javelina in Fayette County?
Posted By: clu

Re: Fayette County - 11/11/16 06:31 PM

Just checked the hunting regs and javelina is not legal in Fayette. I hunt just north of Fayette in Lee County near Ledbetter. All 7 (6 doe and a small buck) that I saw on opening morning came to corn and ate til it was all gone. I was surprised with all the acorns still available.

Re: Fayette County - 11/12/16 05:17 PM

I hunted Friday morning near West Point and saw 9 does and no bucks. They were moving around and not coming to the feeder.

Saw one big hog walking up to the blind. Does not seem like the rut has started.
Posted By: Eastwood

Re: Fayette County - 11/12/16 05:40 PM

I hunt down the road in the Kovar area and I haven't seen a deer in the past two sits including this morning. The deer on my cams are coming mid day or midnight. Been hearing a few shots so the population may be thinning.

Re: Fayette County - 11/19/16 01:54 PM

Anyone hunting Fayette County this weekend?

Saw four does last night and nothing so far this morning. Heard 3 shots in the distance.

Re: Fayette County - 11/19/16 07:11 PM

Headed that way tonight. Should be a good morning. Hunting through Tuesday and another person on the lease said the bucks are moving.

Re: Fayette County - 11/19/16 07:37 PM

Bucks are moving. Saw an eight point running w 3 does this morning. A clean shot was not possible though. Hopefully it shows up tonight.
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: Fayette County - 11/20/16 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: CisternStoreHunter
I hunt between West Point and Cistern and didn't see much at all for a rut. Everything we saw was moving, nothing was coming to corn. I did manage to see a couple of young (legal) bucks I let walk. On an interesting note, I did see a Javelina. Is it illegal to shoot a javelina in Fayette County?

That's pretty cool. Here is a clip from the population map presented in the TPWD - The Javelina In Texas publication.

I live on a ranch in southwestern DeWitt County, just outside of their range. In January 2015, I had a boar & sow in my yard during the middle of the day. They poked around and wander off. Haven't seen them again. While working on a quail habitat project a couple of months later I mentioned it to the TPWD Biologist. He was quite interested in the info and passed it up to the javelina counters. I actually record stuff like this in a ranch diary, odd plants & animals and anything else which isn't the norm. My neighbor on the north side of me, now deceased, had been on his 1200 acres all his life (lived into his early 90s). He told me that javelina were plentiful here on our places through the flood of 1999 and there were few feral hogs. He felt that the incredibly high water had pushed to hogs out of the bottoms and into the rolling country south of the Guadalupe River in Dewitt County. He noted that when the hogs arrived in force, the javelina were gone in a year.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum