Texas Hunting Forum

What are you hopeful for opening weekend?

Posted By: Grosvenor

What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/03/16 08:08 PM

For many of us, Saturday morning will be our first whitetail hunt of the season. I'm not in a big hurry to put meat in the freezer or antlers on the ground, but that wasn't always the case. Curious what the ideal opening weekend looks like for other THF hunters. I think most of us look forward to time away from work, camaraderie with friends and family, good food and drinks by the fire, but what are you hopeful for purely from a hunting perspective?

For me, I'm hopeful to see evidence that the good rains produced some big jumps among our up-and-coming bucks.I'm not likely to pull the trigger this weekend, but would love to see at least one fully mature shooter.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/03/16 08:11 PM

I will enjoy the time with my family, hunting with my wife, and getting away from the daily grind. However, I hunt for a reason and I want to be successful I hope the bull of the woods comes out to get shot, its not like hunting season is over if I bust one opening morning.
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/03/16 08:19 PM

Like said, being with family, and a break from reality. Mostly my daughters first hunt being behind the gun. She has been with me several times over the last few years, but now it's on!
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/03/16 08:22 PM

Being in the woods, the quiet while watching all wildlife, maybe cooler temps and no wasps ! Most importantly enjoying nature.
Posted By: 357MAX

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/03/16 08:54 PM

I'm looking forward to being disconnected from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Things move slower and seem more simple when it's just you, your gun and the woods.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/03/16 08:56 PM

I would love to again wake up to 6 inches of snow on the ground. I know, I know, it ain't gonna happen this year. But for those old enough to remember opening day 1976, it was glorious.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/03/16 09:05 PM

I hope I am not going to have a repeat of the 2014 season cry
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/03/16 09:08 PM

I won't be out....but I hope everyone success and most important of all....to come home safe....good luck guys and gals....
Posted By: DPirates80

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/03/16 09:33 PM

Thought I was going to be alone at the camp but my brother is coming to hunt. We haven't really done much together in months due to our work schedules, but I'm hoping to enjoy spending little bro, big bro time together as well as shooting us both some deer.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/03/16 09:42 PM

any day that I can wake up knowing I am going hunting, is a good day. everything else is just a bonus.
Posted By: rickym

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/03/16 09:55 PM

I hope to see a legal deer to shoot, im thankful that I get to spend time with family away from the city.
Posted By: don k

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/03/16 10:08 PM

I am hopeful that the people I have hunting will not wound a Deer.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/03/16 10:12 PM

I am like redchevy, would love to see the bull of the woods. Hope I see some other bucks just to watch...nothing like opening week-end. Cooler temps and a bit of moisture in the air, just great.
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/03/16 10:35 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

your cousin disagrees I bet
Posted By: Emmett

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/03/16 10:48 PM

Since last season was a complete bust, I am hoping to put some meat in the freezer. And enjoy the weekend with my nephew.
Posted By: cjconley

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/03/16 10:50 PM

cheers
Posted By: cjconley

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/03/16 10:52 PM

I'd like to see a shooter Buck that you know is a shooter from first glance and not have to second guess. Then on second day a little piggy for some bacon to add to freezer.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/03/16 11:05 PM

For something brown on the ground.
Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/03/16 11:12 PM

I hope everyone has fun and comes home safe.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/04/16 12:19 AM

I'm most hopeful that my loved ones & friends have a next season, preferably many.

Outside of that I hope my wife gets a chance at the 7 on one side buck we've seen a couple times.
Haven't got a good enough look to know what is on the other side.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/04/16 12:25 AM

Hunting Ft Hood opening weekend hope to see some deer and maybe gets some bucks to respond to rattling and grunting. Icing on the cake would be shooting a nice buck.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/04/16 12:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Grosvenor
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

your cousin disagrees I bet
stop shooting bucks early roflmao
Posted By: texashunter900

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/04/16 12:32 AM

I am hoping to gain enough health and strength to be able to climb into the tree stand and not have to sit on the ground.

But the best part will be being back in nature and not in a hospital bed or doctor's office.
Posted By: knyteryder

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/04/16 01:04 AM

New to the board, but I'm hopeful my wife gets a chance at her first deer. She's been sitting with me for a couple of years now and nothing but young bucks have walked out during our hunts. We have a stag running around this place so here's to hoping he makes a mistake!
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/04/16 01:22 AM

I know it will be another great day in the woods with my son. I love watching the world come to life as the sun comes up and having hushed conversations with my boy as he asks questions about everything. I hope that we see a steady stream of game to keep it exciting and that my son gets the opportunity to get his first non-spike buck.

I hope everyone gets an opportunity for their trophy and that we all get home safe and sound. cheers
Posted By: sbushee

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/04/16 02:20 AM

Just to be in the woods. So relaxing. Harvesting a deer is a bonus. No cell service at my lease is a bigger bonus
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/04/16 02:21 AM

I'm just hoping it doesn't rain on me all weekend. Like what happened last year - don't think I hunted a day that it didn't rain at least a little bit, sometime a deluge.
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/04/16 10:45 AM

peep I'm there from dawn till dusk and will enjoy every second in the woods. I'm low on sausage so I'll hammer a doe or a hog, but won't pass a nice buck as I don't have a good recipe for antlers!
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/04/16 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Hunting Ft Hood opening weekend hope to see some deer and maybe gets some bucks to respond to rattling and grunting. Icing on the cake would be shooting a nice buck.
I know you don't have much control, but if you can get onto Tweedle Mountain do it. I've been seeing an absolute monster of a 10 point there while fishing Belton. I think he'll make 150 easily, maybe more. There's also a 20+ inch wide 8 that was running with him earlier. I'm sure they've split up by now.
Posted By: Triplesnake

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/04/16 03:26 PM

Looking forward to some relaxing time in the stand and maybe hunting with my wife. Would love to shoot a doe or a pig, and of course be on the lookout for Bullwinkle to step out. Is it time to go yet???
Posted By: redchevy

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/04/16 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
For something brown on the ground.

That wont be hard at all to find... we have an outhouse at the ranch roflmao
Posted By: olenarey87

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/04/16 05:16 PM

There is a spike running around the property that I would like to get on the ground.
Other than that, I am looking forward to hanging out with the old man and making some more memories around a campfire.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/04/16 05:49 PM

Nothing. I won't start hunting till the week of the 14th.
Posted By: southtexascracker

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/04/16 05:55 PM

I hope the OP doesn't F&*% up my hunting. mad
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/04/16 06:06 PM

A Texas Tech win will be nice. Unless it is a personal best, I am not shooting a deer. A yote would be a bonus if one saunters by. Hopefully no pigs are seen.
Posted By: majekman

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/04/16 09:44 PM

Me and grandson bummed. I had a heart attack lil over two weeks ago and for first time since grandson was 4 (now 13) we won't be hunting opening weekend. But I'm getting better and hopefully it won't be long even though I'm wearing a Life Vest (difibulator) 24/7.....
Good luck to all!!
Posted By: Cueman

Re: What are you hopeful for opening weekend? - 11/04/16 10:24 PM

Being with my son and close friends.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum