Texas Hunting Forum

RUT in S-TX Live Oak county

Posted By: spg

RUT in S-TX Live Oak county - 11/03/16 02:47 AM

I know the main rut is around the last two weeks of Dec. which I'll be working....When is the second rut kick in? I'll be hunting Nov. 15-23......then Jan6-to the last day.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: RUT in S-TX Live Oak county - 11/03/16 05:43 PM

Typically 28 days after their first cycle, does that were not initially bred will cycle again. So mid Jan. would be the 2nd cycle.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: RUT in S-TX Live Oak county - 11/03/16 05:49 PM

For us usually around the first of the year has them up and running.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: RUT in S-TX Live Oak county - 11/03/16 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
For us usually around the first of the year has them up and running.

It was the same at my old lease in Hebbronville. It started around the week of Christmas and was rolling pretty good by the following week.

I've hunted Live Oak Co in the past and it seems to have kicked out around 12/14. I'm told that our current place is roughly the same...mid Dec.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: RUT in S-TX Live Oak county - 11/03/16 06:09 PM

On my place in Northern Live Oak the rut has always been around the 10th of Dec give or take for the last 40+ years. So from around the 7th till 20th was our best hunting. Just never been good buck to doe ratio till the last 2-3 yrs now so you see more evidence of a rut. There was no evidence of a second rut at all this past Jan. The bucks seemed to be more in the post rut feeding mode than anything.
Posted By: spg

Re: RUT in S-TX Live Oak county - 11/03/16 06:16 PM

[ There was no evidence of a second rut at all this past Jan. The bucks seemed to be more in the post rut feeding mode than anything. [/quote]

Naturally
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: RUT in S-TX Live Oak county - 11/03/16 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: spg
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
There was no evidence of a second rut at all this past Jan. The bucks seemed to be more in the post rut feeding mode than anything.
Naturally

That was this past season, so this year may be much different. IME Bucks will come to rattling around or after Jan 1st much better in many areas down south after the main rut period is winding down. Seems to be in Live Oak the drier the year the better the late season feeder hunting is also. Last couple of years have been a bit wetter during the season and winter weeds/forbs are going strong. IMO I think it keeps the deer away from feeders more in those years, making it seem like there is no secondary rutting. It is really dry there again now even though I did get a couple of showers .60" and .93" in early to mid October after a really wet late August.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum