Texas Hunting Forum

Deer less interested in the acorns?

Posted By: Birdman7

Deer less interested in the acorns? - 11/02/16 06:44 PM

Are your deer still hitting the acorn pretty hard? For the past month we had been getting no pics on the feeder cams and then last week the does started showing back up on the feeders pretty consistently for some reason.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Deer less interested in the acorns? - 11/02/16 06:50 PM

This year there were a handful of Live Oak Trees that a few acorns but they are now long gone I would think. With it being so hot and dry now the deer are really eating protein and corn right now. I have so much activity in the feed pens and areas I road feed they have beaten the grass/weeds down and the ground is powder.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Deer less interested in the acorns? - 11/02/16 06:54 PM

My protein has slowed down but corn has interested them much more and the oats are still doing pretty good... not much longer without rain though
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Deer less interested in the acorns? - 11/02/16 06:55 PM

still plenty of trees dropping here but much less acorns than last
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Deer less interested in the acorns? - 11/02/16 07:07 PM

Deer in our area are picking at corn on the roads and unpenned feeders, but they've completely ignored feed in the pen.. I even left the gate open all last week hoping the pigs would clean up and it's still piling up.. we've had one heck of an acorn crop this year. Our sightings have improved every week though, just not a lot of interest in corn right now.

Posted By: Stompy

Re: Deer less interested in the acorns? - 11/02/16 07:16 PM

Hogs have eaten most of the acorns, deer hitting feeders, road corn and wheat.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Deer less interested in the acorns? - 11/02/16 07:17 PM

I turned my feeder to 1 second in morning and evening last weekend. Just a big pile of corn under it and millions of acorns on my place. They are still hitting the oat food plot late in the evenings. So, I'm hoping.
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Deer less interested in the acorns? - 11/02/16 07:48 PM

I have no oaks so no acorns. They are killing my feeders (especially the protein) and food plots.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Deer less interested in the acorns? - 11/02/16 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Stevarino
Deer in our area are picking at corn on the roads and unpenned feeders, but they've completely ignored feed in the pen.. I even left the gate open all last week hoping the pigs would clean up and it's still piling up.. we've had one heck of an acorn crop this year. Our sightings have improved every week though, just not a lot of interest in corn right now.

A picture is worth a thousand words......mine looks the same...
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Deer less interested in the acorns? - 11/02/16 08:23 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted By: Stevarino

A picture is worth a thousand words......mine looks the same...

I'm glad i'm not the only one in this boat. grin I mean dang it, I wish we didn't have this problem. My gate is open too!
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Deer less interested in the acorns? - 11/02/16 10:02 PM

You must not have hogs?
Posted By: spg

Re: Deer less interested in the acorns? - 11/02/16 10:14 PM

No oaks on our place but they are hammering the protein more than I've ever since we started feeding year round.....3x 1000lb feeders and 1x 2000lb feeder needing topping off every 2 weeks (LF).
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Deer less interested in the acorns? - 11/02/16 10:41 PM

No interest in corn. No interest in roasted soy. Not hitting protein. My turnips are untouched and leafy tops are 18" are tall. My oats look like they need to be mowed. bang
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Deer less interested in the acorns? - 11/02/16 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
You must not have hogs?

I wish we didn't.. they just have no interest.. I have one boar that will come in late but he's not helping much
Posted By: rickym

Re: Deer less interested in the acorns? - 11/03/16 12:40 PM

I sure hope they are gone
Posted By: Birdman7

Re: Deer less interested in the acorns? - 11/03/16 01:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
I turned my feeder to 1 second in morning and evening last weekend. Just a big pile of corn under it and millions of acorns on my place. They are still hitting the oat food plot late in the evenings. So, I'm hoping.

I ended up having to do the same thing about 3 weeks ago. Hoping they'll start hitting the corn hard enough that I need to turn it back up.
Posted By: Western

Re: Deer less interested in the acorns? - 11/03/16 01:38 PM

Live oaks (older ones) still dropping nice, fat, purdy acorns here, post oaks look done and many are not solid. Food plot is getting a lot of use, corn and protien getting hit a little buy dowes and yearlings here.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Deer less interested in the acorns? - 11/03/16 01:39 PM

Every stitch of corn on my place is always eaten. Course its not all from the deer or even the hogs. Squirrels,coons,birds and corn buzzards. bang
One thing I did notice weekend before last is that the acorn crop was just fair compared to year before last. Also noticed that the does and this years youngsters seemed to be the ones mainly hitting the feeders. This button buck came right in one morning to get his fill of corn. His mama stood off about 25 yards to my right stomping her feet at me and moving her head trying to make me out. Good sized six passed by and was hitting acorns didn't give my feeder even a second thought.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Deer less interested in the acorns? - 11/03/16 04:09 PM

Deer never stop eating corn at our place, but will eat all the protein first (timed protein feeder). Young bucks will jump in the pen to eat just minutes after you fill it and almost refuse to leave the pen even after shooting.

They hungry
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum