Texas Hunting Forum

Opening Day Setup Poll

Posted By: Texas Dan

Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 04:45 PM

Which of the following most accurately describes your Opening Day setup?
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 04:49 PM

I will watch a feeder that no deer will come to, due to natural east texas food.

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Roll-Tide
I will watch a feeder that no deer will come to, due to natural east texas food.

That's why I plan to be watching the intersection of several travel routes between several acorn flats.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 04:53 PM

All the above
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 04:54 PM

I watch 2 feeders, wheat field and road corn.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 04:56 PM

Ill be watching an open field with some corn in different spots.

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 05:02 PM

With the lack of rain being so widespread, I suspect foot plot hunting will take a back seat this weekend.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 05:08 PM

I'll be watching my son watch a feed pen with a corn feeder and protein feeder. There are two distinct trails leading to the pen that will be watched closely.
Posted By: deerhunter1956

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 05:09 PM

Watching two feeders that had no corn under both just 2 weeks ago.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 05:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
With the lack of rain being so widespread, I suspect foot plot hunting will take a back seat this weekend.

We've had rain, food plots out here look great.
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 05:30 PM

Only one choice??
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 05:32 PM

I have a little hanging feeder but sitting on a big creek over the only creek crossing on the whole creek
Posted By: chicklitter

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 05:36 PM

Watching a feeder in an open area with very clear deer trails leading to said feeder/open area. ;-)
Posted By: outdoorsmen54

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 05:39 PM

I'm watching a feeder at the head of a trail heading into a big acorn patch. I'm also on a road that I see down either side of the stand 200 yards. With a mesquite forest, yes a mesquite forest, it's real thick, behind me.
Posted By: outdoorsmen54

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 05:40 PM

And will corn the roads as well hoping they will stop and take a bite before they carry on.
Posted By: Bobcat4119

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 05:51 PM

Would be watching my feeder at the pinch point of 2 crop fields but some JACKWAGON thought they needed my feeder and camera more than me over the winter. So my son and I will be enjoying our time together and hoping to see some deer.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 05:54 PM

At work wasn't an option..... confused2
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 05:57 PM

This was my view for our opener on Oct 1st. Sulpher block at the end of the lane to the left and feeder 150 yards out front. Only had this set up 2 weeks prior to opener so I didn't get a chance to plant anything.

Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 06:16 PM

I have a feeder in a oat patch but the deer have stopped coming to it because of all the acorns. However, in the evening, they are still coming out in the food plot.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 06:19 PM

What if you have a feeder in a major travel corridor?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 06:21 PM

Flawed poll since it needs multiple choices. I can cover several of them from one blind.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 06:52 PM

I'll be hunting a cleared pipeline sendero at a cross fence sendero, with two feeders and corned roads, deep in the heart of the brush country.

Red dot is where the stand will be set. Blue dots are feeders. The stand will be on a hill crest. There's a creek running south to north to the east. Then another hill crest to the east of that. That hill crest is 350 yards.

Posted By: Las Colinas Hunter

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 06:54 PM

X2 feeders and open field in the morning, then road and feeder in the evening, if the wind stays as forcasted.
Posted By: BigBucky2014

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 07:21 PM

I put watching a feeder, but really it's all of the above. I sit on the edge of a wheat field (food plot) that is at the intersection of fence lines (travel corridor), in an elevated blind (overlooking large area), staring at my feeder 80 yards away. smile Looks like I may have missed pinch point, oh well.
Posted By: Randallc

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 07:38 PM

Moving my stand and feeder to new ranch.
Posted By: 357MAX

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 07:39 PM

I'll be sitting just inside a tree line next to a water source. Its right at the edge of my property and the neighbor has a fairly large field on the other side of the trees. I've seen plenty of deer coming from bedding, snag a drink of water, then head toward my neighbors field. If I still have tags they don't make it.
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 07:42 PM

I'll be watching a feeder sitting in an open spot next to a food plot that has a pinch point at one end and a travel corridor at the other..... grin
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 07:51 PM

In a blind facing East with a feeder about 80 yards in front of me. There is another feeder about 125 yards to the North, will watch both. Have another stand 2 miles away looking down from a hilltop....it is new so not sure what to expect there. Am sure I will hunt both the first few days of the season.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 08:50 PM

My three best stands are all travel corridors with some open areas.
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 08:55 PM

peep I watch everything
Posted By: ETXFIREMAN 1

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
All the above

Same here
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 09:12 PM

I'll be watching a feeder/food plot combination with no damn growth on the plot because of no damn rain. The feeder is in that group of trees near the back of the plot.

Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 09:23 PM

I begin by watching the feeder until I have seen no activity for 1 hour then I spot and stalk. I'll hunt the water troughs at noon and afternoon on warm days.
Posted By: DPirates80

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 09:40 PM

I'm hunting on an Oak flat/travel corridor this opening weekend but will be on corn and food plot in a few weeks. Hunting in two areas of Texas this year.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 10:38 PM

Hell, I haven't put corn in my own feeder in 5 years. The pens still there, but no feeder. Everyone to my North feeds and I hunt a powerline ROW. The deer from the south have to cross in front of me to get to those feeders. I've had that place for 20 years and, yeah, it took me 15 to figure that out. I've never been accused of being the sharpest doorknob in the box.
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 10:43 PM

I'll be sitting on about a 70 acre hay field that just got cut with a feeder at my 12 o'clock at about 180 yards. And a little road corning at the tips of each side of the field.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/02/16 11:16 PM

I'll be sitting at whatever feeder the other guys don't pick. Usually works out just fine.
Posted By: bp3

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/03/16 12:02 AM

Watching college football, will go in a week or so
Posted By: Woodrow1

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/03/16 01:00 AM

In east Texas

I have a feeder

But the deer usually don't even go to it.... but the pigs love it..

So mostly the tree line in an open field.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/03/16 01:06 AM

Siting on my highline waiting for them to cross. They usually ignore corn this time of year.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Opening Day Setup Poll - 11/03/16 01:12 AM

I'll be at work watching THF.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum