Texas Hunting Forum

How many of y'all taking a child or grandchild for the opener?

Posted By: Jkd106

How many of y'all taking a child or grandchild for the opener? - 10/31/16 03:22 AM

Been waiting for this years opener for a few years now. I will be taking my daughter for her first time as a hunter this year. I have never been so excited in my life!
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: How many of y'all taking a child or grandchild for the opener? - 10/31/16 03:47 AM

Our lease was filled with kiddos this weekend and there will be just as many of them out next weekend. That's what it's all about. That's half the reason I got off the last place I was on, they had way to many rules on when kids could and couldn't come, and I don't even have kids. Good luck to y'all!!
Posted By: sbushee

Re: How many of y'all taking a child or grandchild for the opener? - 10/31/16 12:13 PM

Taking one of my girls along. She's excited about getting out of school early on Friday
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: How many of y'all taking a child or grandchild for the opener? - 10/31/16 12:23 PM

Grandson didn't get to go with me until he was 4. That was 14 years ago and still going.
Posted By: mdryg1970

Re: How many of y'all taking a child or grandchild for the opener? - 10/31/16 01:45 PM

My son will hunt the mornings with me and my daughter will join us for the evening hunts. Good luck to all.
Posted By: Bobcat4119

Re: How many of y'all taking a child or grandchild for the opener? - 10/31/16 01:45 PM

Hopefully I can make it out to my lease this week and make sure my blind is up and running so me and my son "5" will be able to sneak right in.

Last year was an absolute disaster. We had to borrow my in-laws 4 wheeler "which they failed to inform me the 4*4 was out" to make it down the county road, due to mud, just to get to my land. He was bright eyed at 4:30 am and we were both fired up! We made the 1.5 hour drive while it continued to rain.... We got to the lease and the rain let up for a min so we unloaded the 4 wheeler and made a dash to the property..... We got that bugger stuck in a ditch about a 1/2 mile down the nastiest mud road in the state lol! I had to carry him, my gear, and everything else back up that dang road and get my neighbor to come help us. Long story short, we never made it to the blind and when
I ask my boy if he want's to go hunting, the 1st thing out of his mouth is, dad is it going to be raining? Oh the memories
Posted By: VMike

Re: How many of y'all taking a child or grandchild for the opener? - 10/31/16 02:24 PM

One Son is going with me opening weekend, and the other the next.....after that they have to fight it out to see who goes...j/k
Posted By: KG68

Re: How many of y'all taking a child or grandchild for the opener? - 10/31/16 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: CRAnderson52
Our lease was filled with kiddos this weekend and there will be just as many of them out next weekend. That's what it's all about. That's half the reason I got off the last place I was on, they had way to many rules on when kids could and couldn't come, and I don't even have kids. Good luck to y'all!!

cheers
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: How many of y'all taking a child or grandchild for the opener? - 10/31/16 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: KG68

cheers

X2
Posted By: redchevy

Re: How many of y'all taking a child or grandchild for the opener? - 10/31/16 02:47 PM

Not yet, mine is only 2 and not quiet yet. My brothers boys are 6 hope they get to the stand this year.
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: How many of y'all taking a child or grandchild for the opener? - 10/31/16 03:11 PM

My wife and three kids (8, 5 & 2) will be with me. Opening weekend is a big family affair at our ranch. Our 90 year old Granny still makes it to the stand for opening morning.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: How many of y'all taking a child or grandchild for the opener? - 10/31/16 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Grosvenor
Our 90 year old Granny still makes it to the stand for opening morning.

That's awesome memories right there, especially for your kids.
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: How many of y'all taking a child or grandchild for the opener? - 10/31/16 03:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner

Granny isn't afraid to to pull the trigger either. She killed her best buck at 80. Awesome memories indeed.

Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: How many of y'all taking a child or grandchild for the opener? - 10/31/16 04:01 PM

My 4 year old will likely be with me on Sunday night.
Posted By: alsaenz

Re: How many of y'all taking a child or grandchild for the opener? - 10/31/16 04:32 PM

My oldest daughter is a senior in high school. Last year, she saw one of her younger brothers bring home his first buck. The year before that, it was her other younger brother bringing home his first buck. Not to be outdone by either of her younger brothers, she asked me this past January if we could schedule her first hunt. I took her to the shooting range last weekend, and these were her first three shots at 100 yards with a 7 mm .08. She'll be after her first buck early Saturday morning. I'm thinking she may just outdo both of the boys...
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: How many of y'all taking a child or grandchild for the opener? - 10/31/16 05:05 PM

My son will be along with me the whole weekend.
Posted By: ChrisMorris

Re: How many of y'all taking a child or grandchild for the opener? - 10/31/16 07:33 PM

I get to take my son in two weeks! I have to work opening weekend for rifle season but we're going to get there as soon as we can. This will be his first deer hunt ever! I'm excited!!
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: How many of y'all taking a child or grandchild for the opener? - 10/31/16 07:56 PM

Granny isn't afraid to to pull the trigger either. She killed her best buck at 80. Awesome memories indeed.

That is freaking awesome!!
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: How many of y'all taking a child or grandchild for the opener? - 10/31/16 08:01 PM

Wonderful photo and I'm sure wonderful memories of such a special lady!

That is freaking awesome!!
Posted By: papa45

Re: How many of y'all taking a child or grandchild for the opener? - 10/31/16 08:01 PM

Took my grandson out this past weekend, Youth Season. He shot two turkeys and a doe.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: How many of y'all taking a child or grandchild for the opener? - 10/31/16 09:08 PM

My kiddo will get some stand time this year. Not old enough to pull the trigger yet, but he can learn to sit still and be quiet....hopefully.
Posted By: KG68

Re: How many of y'all taking a child or grandchild for the opener? - 11/01/16 12:14 AM

One of my Grandsons (Ellis) with his first deer last season. I feel sure number two will be forthcoming. grin

Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: How many of y'all taking a child or grandchild for the opener? - 11/08/16 02:35 PM

KG, that's what it is all about.
Posted By: Jasb

Re: How many of y'all taking a child or grandchild for the opener? - 11/08/16 02:41 PM

My kiddo goes with me as often as he can! I like to watch him as much as the deer.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: How many of y'all taking a child or grandchild for the opener? - 11/08/16 02:48 PM

If it wasn't for my grandsons, I wouldn't look forward to deer season like I used to. They make all of the work and expense worthwhile.
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: How many of y'all taking a child or grandchild for the opener? - 11/09/16 03:15 AM

Had a slow weekend, not much deer activity at the feeders. My daughter enjoyed it, but got tired of me saying that's deer hunting. Wasn't planning to go back west until the 18th. On the way home she said daddy can we go back next weekend? Quick arrangement at work, and we will be headed back Friday. Who can say no to a little blue eyed girl, that wants to go deer hunting?
Posted By: Bowtech1233

Re: How many of y'all taking a child or grandchild for the opener? - 11/09/16 08:54 PM

I took my 3 year old son with me for his first deer hunting trip. We killed a coyote on Saturday morning and a doe that evening. He was more excited about the coyote than the deer! Great memories made for both of us! I've been waiting a long time for that moment and it was awesome!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum