Stephens county what are you seeing?

Posted By: StephensCnty308

Stephens county what are you seeing? - 10/26/16 06:14 PM

Stephens county what are you seeing?

My cellular trail cameras have gone more quiet than normal. Temps dip and climb
That's for sure!
Posted By: Waylay85

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 10/28/16 02:31 AM

Not much deer activity at the feeders as of last weekend. Lots of good browse and acorns on the ground. Only young bucks hitting the feeders. A few doe here and there. It should pick up as we get into November.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 10/28/16 02:40 AM

Yeah kind of what I thought! Im heading out tomorrow to pull cards and top off feeders for the last time before season!
Thanks for the response !

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 10/29/16 07:45 PM

Hope you get some good pics, and Good luck next weekend!
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 10/29/16 11:07 PM

Lots and lots of pigs.
Posted By: Dean11

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 10/31/16 11:06 PM

Here are a few on my watch list this year in Stephens County. Haven't had this good of horns on camera ever so looking forward to adding one to the wall.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/01/16 03:51 PM

Nice Bucks! We are seeing lots of pigs too. On just about every feeder

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/01/16 04:41 PM

Sweet !!!!!

Most I'm seeing on Camera is does!!!

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/05/16 10:50 PM

So far this weekend young bucks chasing does and some pigs. The big boys aren't getting after it quite yet. But it's right there. By next weekend they should be putting on a show
Posted By: MBS1669

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/06/16 04:26 AM

Where in Stephens are you located. That buck in the top pic could be the identical twin of the one I shot last year. I hunt just north of Ranger

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/06/16 01:08 PM

I'm seeing water everywhere and pigs everywhere. Some deer too but nothing to get excited over.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/06/16 08:27 PM

Pigs are hitting the feeders way more than the deer. However, we didn't see any pigs this weekend but the cameras are full of them. Could hear them back in the brush. Acorns on the ground and still in the trees, lots of them...
Posted By: MBS1669

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/06/16 08:32 PM

Yep. Seeing all pigs. Some doe and young bucks
Posted By: huntingbig8

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/06/16 11:14 PM

I'm close to PK and there is rutting action everywhere, not many deer on the feeders still with the acorns and a lack of freezing weather. The rain should help rot the acorns on the ground, bucks coming to horns good.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/07/16 02:09 AM

Bucks are chasing now, girls just not quite ready. Had a young hunter kill a very nice 8 yesterday chasing a doe. He was a 5 1\2 year old based on body, bases grown in and a almost total white/gray face. He was going to do a shoulder mount possible so we didn't mess with cutting into the jaw to look at teeth.
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/07/16 11:31 AM

My hunting partner shot a doe and a decent 9pt buck the first hour of our hunt Saturday morning. He shot the doe first then about 20 min. later the buck came in with 3 does in tow. He was headed towards the downed doe when my friend dropped him.
All I saw was a yearling doe.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/07/16 05:40 PM

Young bucks are moving and the big boys are still visiting feeders late after dark.
Pleanty of does moving around.
Soggy/Wet weekend!!!!!!!
The 2nd and possibly the 3rd weekends of the month may be good.

Time will tell

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/07/16 08:28 PM

I am also north of Ranger but pretty north near Breckenridge off of 576.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/07/16 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Dean11
I am also north of Ranger but pretty north near Breckenridge off of 576.

Are you east or west of 183?

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/07/16 08:50 PM

East Of 183.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/07/16 10:55 PM

Good area over there, I'm west of 183 off of 576, over in the pig capital of the world.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/07/16 11:48 PM

Pouring rain again.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/08/16 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Stompy
Pouring rain again.

Good grief it's going to get so muddy it will be hard to get in and out of our properties lol
Especially in my/your area

Sand doesn't like to much water.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/08/16 01:04 PM

Received another 1.6" last night. That's 41" for the year so far.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/08/16 05:54 PM

Received another 1.6" last night. That's 41" for the year so far.

Yeah one of my trail cameras sends me text and I decided to put a rain guage in front of it off to the side so I can see it and the trail. After last night we have gotten a total of 3 inches since Saturday.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/08/16 09:36 PM

The rain is nice but enough is enough. The mud is a real pain
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/08/16 09:44 PM

Just got back from place up by Murray. A freaking mess. Ruined roads with my Polaris and it took me 25 bucks in quarters to clean the thing up. And its a Sportman not a Ranger.

I am ready for dry and cold weather.

4W

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/08/16 09:45 PM

More light rain today. Sure was hoping to see a little sun today.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/09/16 02:02 AM

Took me 4 hours to get the mud off my UTV after the weekend hunt.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/11/16 03:17 AM

Heading out in the morning. Any updates on activity? Looks like we'll have sunshine most of the weekend. Need to dry up the mud!
Posted By: TxRedhawk

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/11/16 03:36 PM

Had two of our guys go out to the lease south of Breckinridge this week. Both saw a lot of chasing going on. Most where younger bucks trailing doe. One of the guys laid down a 142" 9 pt on a rattle. None of the deer where interested in corn in any case. Necks are getting bigger and brains are getting smaller. ''Tis the season.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/11/16 09:11 PM

I saw a140 class 10 point chasing a doe off FM717 this morning at 10:45.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/11/16 11:12 PM

Awesome! Thanks for the info! Got in the stand at 2 but have been watching cows. Sure yall know how that goes. Tomorrow's conditions looks good. Going to sit all day. Ready to see some action. Good luck to y'all this weekend! Will keep ya updated
Posted By: royd2500

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/12/16 04:05 AM

Thanks for the updates. Headed out for Sunday hunt ,then back Tuesday thru Thursday. Hoping for it to dry out and the big boys to be fired up. Biggest horns to date on our lease east of lake Daniels.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/12/16 04:52 PM

Still have plenty of deer hitting the feeder and the 11 I posted on the first page is still running around. This was taken on 11/11 around midnight but have him on other feeders at all times. Hoping to catch him chasing tomorrow morning or just cruisng through. Never had much luck with rattling but going to give it a shot. Anybody have some techniques that work or dos and dont's for rattling?

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/12/16 08:01 PM

Didn't see anything but cows this morning. Moving to a different stand for the afternoon. Buddy saw 7 deer. 5 doe, a small 4 point, and a real nice buck that would not come out of the trees. He was not chasing just passing through.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/15/16 07:57 PM

Well i I have not hunted in two days. Impossible to focus at work. Any new updates from anyone out there. Looks warm for the next few days then a good cold front for the weekend. Friday needs to hurry up! The deer were very active last weekend. The rut is nigh upon us.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/15/16 10:14 PM

Just out of Stephens County to the north in Young. Mile off the line. No rutting that I saw and really only saw immature and yearling bucks and young does. Mature deer missing from my place right now or only at night.
Posted By: greygooser

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/15/16 10:44 PM

Deer were really active just north of Ranger this weekend past. We had bucks chasing, prowling around feeders with their noses down.

I'd say its well and truly on.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/16/16 03:16 AM

I've got some good deer at feeders. But no rhyme or reason to their times. Just gotta be their at the right time. Watched a young 8 for an hour at feeder tonight chancing every doe that came along but then back to the corn. Need the wind to get turned around from the north to hunt my best set up. At least seeing lots of activity. Good luck to you.
Posted By: TXPride

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/16/16 03:40 AM

Deer are hitting the feeders moderately, but have been hitting the wheat hard.

Friday, I saw a lot of deer in the evening out in the wheat. After they ate and it was getting dark, the young bucks started annoying the does. The bigger bucks were then bothering the little bucks, and portraying dominant tendencies.

Nothing serious, but imagine rutting will be picking up.

We killed a decent buck and a couple does. It was a fun weekend to be out. But still muddy...

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/16/16 04:03 AM

Appreciate the updates! Ready to get to the woods. Hopefully this week of warm temps and sunshine will dry up most of the mud. Good luck!

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/18/16 08:23 PM

Friday afternoon 2:30 checking in! Just got to my stand and I figured I would check in and see if anyone has any updates since the other day?

56 very windy here.

Hoping it calms down in a bit. Deer still coming just after dark and maybe first thing on the mornings.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/18/16 09:33 PM

Sitting in my blind as well. Very windy mid 50s. No activity yet. Very excited about this cold snap. I think it's happening at the perfect time. Wind is supposed to lay down tonight and weather looks good all weekend. Still seeing some acorns on the ground and in the trees. This wind should help knock them out. Good luck y'all!

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/19/16 02:30 PM

Bad fawn crop 4 years ago in this area, very few mature Bucks. Seeing lots of 1.5-2.5 year old bucks, a couple of 3.5 but an off year for us. Neighbor has 1500 acres and is saying it's the same at his place. Just mostly Hog killing this year.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/19/16 10:30 PM

Well been a slow two days at my spot. Other spots on the ranch are seeing deer just no shooters. Only takes two seconds for that to change though. I love deer hunting! No heavy rutting activity to speak of yet.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/20/16 02:44 AM

This guy was shot this morning on our lease
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/20/16 02:47 AM

Very nice!

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/20/16 02:15 PM

Man that's a nice buck! Very wide! I have not seen a deer all weekend. The cows seem to be following me...
Another guy on the lease got a doe this morning. Lots of little four points being seen.
Posted By: chesterc

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/20/16 05:46 PM

Hunted yesterday all day and saw a few does and couple of spikes; not much else. I would have thought the cold and light wind would have had them moving more but that didn't seem to be the case.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/21/16 02:42 PM

I had 2 nice bucks come around 2am and 5am.
A young spike at 8:30am. Other than that nothing until
This morning which was all does.

My phone is going off like crazy and I'm getting text left and right however it's all does.
Posted By: ffread

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/22/16 12:29 AM

We are seeing tons of deer morning mid morning and during the evening hunts, big bucks are usually only showing up at daylight and just before dark! Have only seen one mature deer chasing a doe the others necks are swelled but seem to be eating at the feeders and just checking out a few doe nothing to serious yet! I'm.saying the rut will kick off full swing with this next cool front around
thanksgiving day

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/22/16 02:12 AM

Rut's already happening.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/22/16 02:38 AM

I need to get back out there ASAP
Posted By: Cws11

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/23/16 04:20 PM

seem to be moving more this week. caught this guy on cam earlier this month. we're just north of 576 on 207.
Moving up to Breckenridge after being down around Menard since the mid 80's.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/23/16 07:25 PM

Is this the best picture you have of that deer? Hard to tell but looks similar to the deer I have been seeing and I am in that area between 576 and 207 as well.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/23/16 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Cws11
seem to be moving more this week. caught this guy on cam earlier this month. we're just north of 576 on 207.
Moving up to Breckenridge after being down around Menard since the mid 80's.

Man This deer is looking more and more like the same deer to me. I would say his odds are limited at this point in the season. Last pictures I have of him on camera were on the Nov 11th early in the morning.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/23/16 09:43 PM

I'd say that's the same buck.
Posted By: Cws11

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/24/16 03:05 AM

Yeah unfortunately that's the only pic we have of him. I thought the same thing when I saw your earlier post. More so when you added your location. I want to say my brother sent me that pic first week of Nov. haven't seen sign of him since. He'll get a half chance from us as we are still hunting down south until Christmas.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/24/16 06:25 PM

That's a very nice buck. Having thanksgiving with the family then hitting the road. Weekend of thanksgiving has usually been the best. Good luck y'all!

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/24/16 08:02 PM

Good Luck to you as well! I'm in the car business and the Internet Manager at Moritz Chevrolet so I don't get many long holiday weekends to go out to the lease and hunt. But I can guarantee you as soon as I get free Saturday night I'm headed west to chase that buck. I've had him on camera consistently since Oct. 15th and at three different feeders but haven't seen him while sitting yet, if he is even still alive. Haven't been out in almost 2 weeks so hopefully the cameras caught him again to keep my hopes up. Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/26/16 08:39 PM

Been here since Friday, deer moving all day. Just haven't seen any mature bucks. One doe acted skittish but the others not so much. Lots of young bucks hitting corn. Ya never know though!

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/26/16 10:01 PM

Tail end of the rut here, things are winding down for 1st rut. Been out every hunt since Wednesday morning, probably take a couple days off and hit it again on Tuesday.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/27/16 01:10 PM

Very windy this morning but maybe I'll get lucky. Good luck to everyone out!

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/27/16 04:25 PM

Just left Breckenridge this morning. Lots of wind. Time to hunker down in that box blind for the day. Good luck guys.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/28/16 03:51 AM

Well we had some decent action Thursday-Sunday. The deer were moving each day. Seeing the same deer over and over. Young bucks and a couple doe. Really seems to be a dip in the number of overall deer we are seeing compared to years past. Have one mature 9 point that's shown up on cams.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/28/16 05:34 PM

Sat all day Saturday. In the morning the usual does and a juvenile buck came around. Very little movement in the afternoon/evening. Nothing showed up until sunset and then I had a 2-3 year old 8-pointer at the feeder (and some does). It was a pretty warm day.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/28/16 10:00 PM

Had a new buck come through Saturday morning. Unfortunately I was at work instead of in the blind and Sunday was a rough day of wind and not many deer. Hopefully one of my radar deer shows up when I am in the blind!

Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/28/16 10:14 PM

Things have slowed for us a lot in the last few days. But it's normal around beginning of Dec for things to begin to slow down. A large buck was shot on the North end of our property chasing a hot doe the week of Thanksgiving, but the buck was not recovered. So there is still some chasing going on.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/29/16 12:20 AM

Dean, That's a really nice buck you got there. A lot of crab claws around our place too. Hope you meet him face to face.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/29/16 03:48 AM

We have a strong crab claw genetic at our place as well

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/29/16 02:53 PM

Woke up this morning and looked out the front window, have a 20 acre field before my tree line starts. Over to the west side of the field is 2 Coyotes playing about 100 yards out. On the east side is a 2-3yr old 8pt with a hot Doe, he's got a smaller 8pt trying to steal her away. Coyotes are gone but the Deer have been out there for an hour. Doe is just feeding along and the bigger 8 is spending all his time trying to run off the smaller one.
Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 11/29/16 02:56 PM

Woke up this morning and looked out the front window, have a 20 acre field before my tree line starts. Over to the west side of the field is 2 Coyotes playing about 100 yards out. On the east side is a 2-3yr old 8pt with a hot Doe, he's got a smaller 8pt trying to steal her away. Coyotes are gone but the Deer have been out there for an hour. Doe is just feeding along and the bigger 8 is spending all his time trying to run off the smaller one.

That's a great way to start the day up

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 12/01/16 01:16 PM

Spent yesterday morning in my best tree stand. Wind was finally from the North, 32 degrees, new moon everything in line for a great hunt but I guess the deer didn't get the memo. Sat for four hours and didn't see anything moving. Had one deer blow back in the woods behind me at about 9:30, sure thought the elements would have had them moving. I've learned a lot this season and have enjoyed being out in nature. Can't think of anything I'd rather do with my time.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 12/01/16 02:09 PM

Slow morning for me, only 2 small bucks and 9 pigs so far.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 12/03/16 03:52 AM

Won't be making it out this weekend, have to work all day Saturday. By the looks of it though it's going to be very rainy so might not be a bad weekend to miss. Will be headed back out next Friday. Good luck to everyone!

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 12/03/16 05:16 PM

With Christmas and New Years coming not going to be many weekends left to make it out. So rain and all come 6 o'clock this evening I am heading west. Rain looks like it will clear up in time for the morning hunt tomorrow. Good luck to everyone that is out braving today I will post an update in the morning of any action.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 12/03/16 05:53 PM

I bet Stompy is looking at the top of his feet next to the fireplace. grin

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 12/03/16 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By: bobcat1

You bet your arse I am. grin I hunted all week and just seeing same ole same ole, I ain't messing up my roads.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 12/03/16 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By: bobcat1

You bet your arse I am. grin I hunted all week and just seeing same ole same ole, I ain't messing up my roads.
Attaboy! Made a pot of chili and an apple crumb pie for dessert. Of course Blue Bell will be on top.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 12/04/16 03:10 AM

I thought today would be exercise in counting raindrops hitting the roof of the blind. But to my surprise, one of the bucks I've been looking for presented himself at 7:30 a.m. during a moderate downpour. I have now taken my first Whitetail Buck. Field dressing and packing him out in the truck was a soggy mess though.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 12/04/16 03:46 AM

Congrats on your first!
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 12/04/16 02:12 PM

Very nice. Congratulations on your first WT buck. And being smart enough not to let a little rain stop you from hunting.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 12/04/16 04:35 PM

Congratulations!

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 12/05/16 05:08 AM

Thanks! Yeah, I really didn't know what to expect with the rain ... you hear so much conflicting information. But it sure didn't seem to be slowing them down. I suppose if it was more stormy the story would be different. A steady rain didn't seem to make a difference.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 12/05/16 09:36 PM

Busy weekend with a lot of deer moving but no mature bucks at all. This was off my camera Saturday evening and had my count up to 13 doe and 2 small bucks Sunday morning. Mature bucks were all over game cameras and have all disappeared in the last two weeks. Roads were beyond a mess this weekend with all the rain and a fresh worked road after the last storm. Will wait later to fill the freezer if a mature buck doesn't present himself soon.

Re: Stephens county what are you seeing? - 12/12/16 06:00 AM

Well the deer are hitting the feeders much harder now. Got a nice big doe Saturday. Hard freeze must have killed off a lot of the browse. Haven't seen near as many acorns on the ground either.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum