Texas Hunting Forum

Doe and fawn?

Posted By: JB1316

Doe and fawn? - 10/24/16 06:08 PM

Went to check the camera on a new spot i found in early Summer this weekend and have a doe there pretty regular. While going through the 1000 pics, the ones towards the end started seeing the Doe was a momma. When i got out there, my camera had spun around and was looking at the sky so the last pics i have are from late August. So, assuming the doe is still around come November 5th, do you guys think these kids are old enough to fend for themselves? Im not opposed to taking a doe as I'm just about out of venison from last years Buck taken - but I'd likely give her a pass if her kids arent old enough to survive on their own. What do you guys think?

Posted By: John Humbert

Re: Doe and fawn? - 10/24/16 06:10 PM

Absolutely. But a doe that can raise twins is maybe not one you want to shoot. Depends.
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: Doe and fawn? - 10/24/16 06:15 PM

I'd give them all a year based on cuteness alone.

Re: Doe and fawn? - 10/24/16 06:25 PM

Yea, that kissing pic is one I need to hide from the wife. She sees that, I'm gonna have some explaining to do!
Posted By: rickym

Re: Doe and fawn? - 10/24/16 06:53 PM

Personally I wouldnt shoot a doe that I know throws twins, and I also wouldnt shoot a doe that has fawns still covered in spots. They were likely born a little late

Re: Doe and fawn? - 10/24/16 07:34 PM

Why wouldnt you shoot a doe that had twins? Just curious how that plays into the equation as i'm newer to deer hunting & two have mentioned that as part of their response. Im hoping by the time the season starts here (2 months after these pics were shot) those fawns dont have spots. Or of course, that a big ol' Buck has found that doe and steps into the equation...
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Doe and fawn? - 10/24/16 08:06 PM

Doe get a pass on our place. She's a mature deer, depending on your density you may NEED to shoot a doe. I'd pick one that's by herself without youngsters.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Doe and fawn? - 10/24/16 08:14 PM

In good years lots of deer will have and raise twins. Is that a good thing? only if you have low density. We have more deer than we want most of the time, if I know its a doe that throws twins and raises em every year i'd probably shoot her on purpose. Have read if you like what your bucks look like and you have a doe with buck fawns to shoot her so she wont run them off etc. who knows, I think the biggest truth is if you need to shoot does any doe is a good one to shoot. rifle
Posted By: 357MAX

Re: Doe and fawn? - 10/24/16 08:17 PM

I wouldn't shoot a doe that had fawns with spots trailing her. Babies are too young in my opinion
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Doe and fawn? - 10/24/16 08:27 PM

Those two are pretty good sized, and it's now almost 2 months later. If you need meat and want to take her, take her, unless you need the brood-stock. They won't have spots when you see them in November.

At our place we try to shoot, in order:

1. Dry does (no baby)
2. Single mothers with large fawns
3. Twin mothers with large fawns
4. Single mothers with small fawns (as late in the year as possible)
5. Twin mothers with small fawns (as late in the year as possible)
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum