Texas Hunting Forum

Montague County rut

Posted By: Dave Davidson

Montague County rut - 10/24/16 01:41 PM

It's on. I saw 3 lone bucks this weekend. No does seen. All ignored and walked by feeders. Actually my 6 cams on the feeders showed nothing much. All of the bucks were also hunting the feeders. I have a big acorn crop and they're not through falling.
Posted By: Bowtech kid

Re: Montague County rut - 10/24/16 10:09 PM

I had 2 young bucks dogs a doe Sunday morning in sunset.

Re: Montague County rut - 10/24/16 11:10 PM

I'm close to there off Picket Run Road. haven't seen does except at night on cams.
Posted By: Glassangler

Re: Montague County rut - 10/24/16 11:17 PM

Early this year I guess

Re: Montague County rut - 10/24/16 11:46 PM

Dave my buddy hunts on Pickett run gots some good deer on his camera.
Posted By: Hoosier Texan

Re: Montague County rut - 10/24/16 11:49 PM

I would be shocked if it's on as the breeding dates on TPWD shows 3% for this date (well actually the 10/26). I am in St Jo this year and have seen no signs of the rut as of yet.
Posted By: Las Colinas Hunter

Re: Montague County rut - 10/25/16 12:11 AM

I was at the feed store in St Jo this weekend and a local rancher told me he saw a 'legal' buck following a doe through his backyard the previous evening. Wasn't in a chase but nose to the ground.

I was out bowhunting and saw a few bucks still hanging together but not as much as activity as previous years at this time. I'm still betting on the rut to be the second and third week in Nov. I think this is just early activity.

Will know on opening day as I check the cameras. Hopefully the rut is that weekend as I'll be down for the count after the 21st for a few weeks.

Re: Montague County rut - 10/25/16 02:34 AM

Been hunting Montague county for 15+ years and have never seen the rut this early.....but all my buddies are saying its on

I found a fresh scrape but thats the first one

Re: Montague County rut - 10/25/16 10:54 AM

I don't think it's fully on. Young bucks that just don't kmo any better. Figured firs week r two in November. Still got some bucks in batchlor groups.
Posted By: MontagueMonsters

Re: Montague County rut - 10/25/16 12:16 PM

My dad called my yesterday evening and said he had ten point dogging a doe in the backyard. Just a few miles west of Sunset. A buddy that hunts near me between forestburg and Saint Jo said it was on this weekend too.

Re: Montague County rut - 10/25/16 12:20 PM

I've owned the place for about 35 years and never seen it this early. Usually, at this time, I see monster bucks on the cams but not solo. Of course, those guys are always nocturnal. Only one daytime cam pic this year of a really big one. 90% of the buck pics are too small to shoot but they're never solo like this year. Interesting that the does are mostly avoiding feeders but we do have a lot of acorns. I'm going to add some more rice bran when I get there. The pigs will appreciate that.

Re: Montague County rut - 10/25/16 12:20 PM

Re: Montague County rut - 10/25/16 12:21 PM

Re: Montague County rut - 10/26/16 11:53 AM

Nice, really nice.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Montague County rut - 10/26/16 01:35 PM

A lot of people confuse the first signs of pre-rut activity with full rut activity. The rut happens year in and year out around the same time every year. For some places that is a range of weeks, for some it is a very narrow window. In Montague and west, there are a couple more weeks before it typically hits, but that doesn't mean we won't see bucks chasing the ladies or sniffing for them checking to see if they are hot. They also know what's coming and they are getting ready for it the same we are...

Re: Montague County rut - 10/26/16 07:49 PM

Hunted last nigh in sunset had a big 8 come in behind a doe. He grunted the whole time. Let one fly and he jumped my string.
Posted By: Alim

Re: Montague County rut - 10/27/16 02:55 AM

Got a trail cam pic of a buck at a feeder last week that sure looks like a rutting buck to me. His neck is swollen. He came out at 6 PM and stayed until 7. I hunt off of 1630.
Posted By: Las Colinas Hunter

Re: Montague County rut - 10/28/16 04:23 PM

This posts reminds me of rutting activity 3 years ago, which was a really odd season. Where I never saw the rut in full swing - vs last year when it hit 2-3 wk in Nov. But a few yrs ago everyone was saying they were seeing activity early. Hmmm...
Posted By: JH117

Re: Montague County rut - 10/28/16 05:54 PM

When I got home from work yesterday around 7 I looked out my window and saw a nice mature 8 point and doe hanging out. As a matter of fact it seemed like she was following him. At one point he turned to look at her and waited for her to get to him. This was only about 60 yards from my back porch. I went outside to get a closer look with my binos and when he saw me he didn't even seem to care. Seems like every morning this week I can count on seeing bucks chasing doe in the pasture before I go to work also. Sunday can't get here quick enough so I can put my bow to use! By the way, this is in Parker county.
Posted By: Yildiz

Re: Montague County rut - 10/28/16 10:36 PM

Haven't seen any chasing in West of Saint Jo but we have good bucks that have been relatively active all year. It's been a great October surprisingly even with the acorns falling. I didn't even fill my feeders...just been hand Tossing corn. Great herd on cam in light and night
Posted By: vanndchi

Re: Montague County rut - 10/31/16 05:37 PM

Rut peaks on November 15/16, seeking phase has begun. They will pick up on the chasing by weekend.

Re: Montague County rut - 11/08/16 01:14 PM

I guess I was wrong. On the Friday before the opener, I had 5 bucks together at one of my feeders. Of course, they weren't there Saturday.

Re: Montague County rut - 11/09/16 10:38 PM

I hunted yesterday and this morning. Young bucks were chasing like crazy and watched two little 4pts spar for 20 seconds. Doe's didn't did really seem receptive. I think the first good cold front we get it will break loose!
Posted By: Aggieman_2006

Re: Montague County rut - 11/10/16 08:51 PM

I'm heading back up there tomorrow. What are yall's thoughts about the weekend? Got a nice cold snap this week...pushing mid-November...should be a good weekend. Last weekend I saw the young bucks acting a fool, and I saw a few more mature bucks starting to show interest. Hopefully the trend has continued this week and will be another good showing.

Good Luck to all

Re: Montague County rut - 11/11/16 12:43 AM

Had 2 new bucks show in camera. They r crusing right now hope this weekend I can get one to walk in bow range.
Posted By: LM1

Re: Montague County rut - 11/11/16 03:27 AM

I have hunted near sunset for 25+ years and typically it peaks from the 7-15, heading up on Sat. I will give you all an update. Good luck Boys!
Posted By: vanndchi

Re: Montague County rut - 11/11/16 05:25 PM

It's on. Full Rut. Chasing and Breeding on the reg.....

Re: Montague County rut - 11/12/16 01:47 AM

Be in the stand in the am going to try and set tell 11. Good luck guys.

Re: Montague County rut - 11/13/16 12:57 AM

Every doe I seen had a buck on her heals. Was able to get a good 8 the rut is on in sunset.
Posted By: MudEngineer

Re: Montague County rut - 11/13/16 04:27 AM

Hunt north of Ringgold, bucks chasing does like crazy, it's definitely going on! Have fun and good luck!
Posted By: rattler03

Re: Montague County rut - 11/13/16 02:09 PM

I'm west of y'all in Archer County, about 20 miles south of Wichita Falls. They are full-on chasing here. Friday I saw 3 bucks chasing does. One was at 1:20 in the afternoon, they were covering some ground, the buck swam across a stock tank trying to catch up. That buck looked to be 3.5 years old. I shot a 5+ year old 8 pointer that followed a doe into my feeder at 5:45 Friday evening. I then saw a mature chasing a doe along the highway coming back to camp that evening. The processor in Archer City said hunters have been reporting a lot of chasing all week, and that he's seeing a lot of above average bucks being brought in. With the full moon within the next day or so, I think the next week will see peak rut activity. Get out and stay out in the stand all day long if you can. Good luck folks!!!
Posted By: Thenickel05

Re: Montague County rut - 11/16/16 05:43 PM

Hunted all day yesterday. Hunt off of 1749 Forestburg. Saw some a few young bucks and a few does. No chasing what so every. Actually the young bucks didn't want anything to do with the does. I'm confused because I thought the rut was happening. Maybe I missed it!
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Montague County rut - 11/16/16 06:15 PM

Our cameras show no sign and our hunting too except a few chasing. Should turn on this weekend. That is really when we see them searching. Year in and year out, the biggest bucks make it on camera cruising around Nov 17th until Dec. 10th. But don't recall supermoon. SW of Nocona.
Posted By: Thenickel05

Re: Montague County rut - 11/20/16 11:00 PM

Hunted all day Friday and Saturday. Saw a lot of does and few small bucks. No chasing going on at all. Looking at the previous posts in this thread, appears I missed the rut. Started early this year.
Posted By: LM1

Re: Montague County rut - 11/21/16 04:14 AM

Very slow this weekend. A couple small does passing by not eating corn. Seems to be what happens after the rut when they disappear for a while. I hunted hard three weekends in a row and just hasn't been my year.

Re: Montague County rut - 11/22/16 04:41 PM

I'm thinking this year is gonna be just like last year. A trickle rut, because the weather will not drop and stay cold to get the deer on there feet. I've had numerous reports from my neighbors as well. Just flat out slow. I'm thinking a massive snow storm might be the only thing to get the big boys up and cruising.

We shall see, I'll be at the ranch Thursday thru Sunday
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Montague County rut - 11/23/16 04:20 PM

Hunting dickens county and have hunted every day since opener. Minimal rut activity. Lots of does and fawns with half hearted chasing by young bucks. I think the extremely warm weather has slowed down the process. Been in the mid 70's for most of season. I dont think we missed it just off to a late start.
Posted By: six_anthonys

Re: Montague County rut - 11/25/16 04:30 PM

Hunting near Saint Jo at ranch...lets hope they are moving...

Re: Montague County rut - 11/26/16 05:31 AM

Been hunting Montague county for several years. I believe the rut is nearly over by Thanksgiving every year. This year was extremely warm with a huge moon and most of the rutting activity probably took place at night. But all is not lost, if you can find that one doe that cycles late or didn't get bred the 1st time she could have a group of bucks with her. Good Luck! Hang in there and start hunting the food sources.

Re: Montague County rut - 11/26/16 05:42 AM

Been killing quite a few hogs, actually 6 in the last 3 days. Had a group of about 50 rush into the feeder about prime time today. The old .300 Ultra Mag took 2 of them down!!

Re: Montague County rut - 11/26/16 06:10 AM

Finally saw deer tonight. Young six and some doe. Nothing at feeder. Big boys are roaming after dark according to cams. Does are staying put. Weird year.

Re: Montague County rut - 11/26/16 06:43 PM

I think the rut is just now starting, at least in St Jo
Posted By: huntbrown

Re: Montague County rut - 11/26/16 08:39 PM

I hope your right. I've been hunting hard since bow season and I saw 1 little 6 point with his nose to the ground a week ago. I'm in nocona I havnt see anything the past 2 days. I heard a shot last night pretty close

Re: Montague County rut - 11/26/16 10:50 PM

Slow as molasses at my place between saint jo and forestburg. Almost no movement and still no mature deer on camera. Pigs are gonna need to be put in check.

Re: Montague County rut - 11/28/16 12:05 AM

Saw a buck and squirrel all weekend. One guy saw a buck chase 2 doe. It was slower than molasses. Still haven't seen a doe at feeder while in stand. I even corned a road and it was still there the next day. Craziest year yet. Someone finally saw hogs driving to stand at 6 am. They don't even want corn.
Posted By: huntbrown

Re: Montague County rut - 11/28/16 12:59 AM

I saw 4 does and 3 yearlings together last night for about 30 minutes last night didn't touch the corn but we're eating acorns and the winter wheat thats coming in. No signs of rut going on at my place. I decided to put another tree stand up in the thick stuff away from my feeder by a bunch of big oaks hope I'll see a mature deer only seen young bucks I've been hunting the box blind with feeder. Maybe I'll see a shooter soon. I did see alot of deer on the side of the road on the way home maybe rut is just late

Re: Montague County rut - 11/28/16 03:07 AM

Shot a hog. Passed on some pretty nice younger bucks over the weekend.

Re: Montague County rut - 11/28/16 12:29 PM

So I saw one buck on Thanksgiving. SOB snuck up behind me and all I could do is watch it over my shoulder from less than 15 yards away. Saturday and Sunday, not one deer. after seeing a bunch the previous weekend. I hunt woods in St Jo, so I really think the rut might be late and the bucks are locked down by the does?

I live in Justin and looking to stay hunting in the Montague/St Jo area next year. I only hunt 20 acres of woods but have seen alot of deer this year for that size of property. The land owner is great, but think he's selling the property in the spring. So if anyone knows of any openings, I would welcome any information. Thanks!

Re: Montague County rut - 11/29/16 11:44 PM

Rut is over at my place. In between Saint Jo and Nocona. Killed a buck on the 12th and my buddie got one on the 10th. That week-weekend there were 5 dead bucks on 82 with there heads cut off. Another place I hunt west of Nocona, all hunters got a buck 19th-20th.
Sorry if y'all haven't got one but I believe its over. Hope for secondary rut the 1st-2nd week of December.

Re: Montague County rut - 11/30/16 04:09 AM

Please check with a wildlife biologist or maybe even a game warden. After numerous studies on deer fetesus's they back date them and the rut always peaks around the 15th of November. That would put the rut from say, November 7th to November the 22nd or so. With warm weather and a super bright moon most rutting activity will take place at night. Now with a dark moon and cold weather you should see more daytime activity, you'll actually see the rut taking place. The good news right now is fawns and does that didn't get bred may have one or more bucks chasing them since they're the only game in town. Find that doe and you'll find the bucks. My plan right now is to hunt the food sources and hope and pray for that one doe in heat. Good Luck!!

Re: Montague County rut - 11/30/16 04:13 AM

Stats on our place SW of Nocona going back years is many bucks are killed first weekend of Dec as well. Only one guy saw chasing twice so far. Seems doe went completely nocturnal this year. Got one after Christmas two years ago. Could be a long year though. Out of 6 of us on 1,100 acres, we have killed one buck and one hen turkey.

Re: Montague County rut - 11/30/16 12:54 PM

I agree the weather and acorn crop this year has made it very tuff. With most of the area being Oaks deer don't have to move to find food. I think the rut around me area is some what spread out through the season. As I'm still seeing many doe's with there fawns by there side. I think the middle of December will be good if we get some good cold weather

Re: Montague County rut - 11/30/16 12:58 PM

I did find the biggest rub I've ever seen at my ranch during Thanksgiving. Put a camera up on it to try and see who's making the rub.

Re: Montague County rut - 11/30/16 12:59 PM

Re: Montague County rut - 11/30/16 01:01 PM

Posted By: spro

Re: Montague County rut - 11/30/16 04:13 PM

My son finally got the one he's been after last week. He saw this deer three times before he was able to get a good shot. Broke off right G3 but we will get that fixed. Saw 2 bucks chasing does Sunday morning.

Re: Montague County rut - 11/30/16 05:18 PM

That's a giant for Montague, congrats to your son!

With all the bucks together I've seen at my place this year they wouldn't add up to one side of your buck! Haha

Re: Montague County rut - 11/30/16 05:29 PM

That looks like a Northern Montague county deer up along the river or lake Nocona
Posted By: Stub

Re: Montague County rut - 11/30/16 05:47 PM

Awesome buck for your son spro congrats cheers in Jack county and the love chasing appears to have stopped?
Posted By: River

Re: Montague County rut - 11/30/16 05:56 PM

I have a lease in Montague county and the deer are being weird right now only getting night pictures but the doe's are moving in more and so are the big bucks just not much day time action... iv had multiple big mature bucks coming all through October and they all stopped exsept for the biggest on I have. when I sit in my stand iv passed on a few bucks and doe but none of them have came to the feeder all jut asking around and down the tree lines. do any of y'all thing this has to do with the warmer weather and acorns and such are not really being rotted out yet?
Posted By: livetohunt76

Re: Montague County rut - 12/01/16 02:02 AM

Been hunting about 5 miles west of Forestburg on family members property.. Hunted about 7 out of 10 days( after the supermoon)here recently and didnt see a dear 1 from the stand. We've seen deer on the cams but only at night with the exception of a dear or 2 during daylight hours. Tons of corn on the ground as well. Hopefully the hunting picks up in the next couple of weeks. I was hoping to find others in the area reporting and it looks like ive found the place. Glad to be here and will report every chance I get! Thanks for having me guys!

Re: Montague County rut - 12/01/16 03:33 AM

That's a great deer! Congrats to the young hunter 😀 !!

Re: Montague County rut - 12/01/16 07:04 AM

Awesome deer! We only have one wall hanger left appearing on cams randomly at night it seems.

Tonight, on one of our cellular cams, the doe cam in at 7:10 pm and ate for over an hour. They are way out of whack. We have never seen doe this nocturnal. Come on cold and get them in the daylight.

Re: Montague County rut - 12/03/16 03:41 AM

I've been hunting nearly every day since season opened. Hunted Jack Co. this morning and saw 4 little bucks, small 8, medium 8 and the same big 8 I've been seeing all season, if only he was wider. Has great tine length and mass, good browtines but only about 13-14 inches wide. These bucks and about 12 does are in my food plot every day. The young bucks are chasing the does, mostly annoying them and the bigger bucks could care less. They all left the food plot around 9:00 and about 30 minutes later I saw the bigger 8 with a doe and he seemed to be tending her, who knows.
Hunted Montague Co. this evening, it was really windy and saw most of the deer down in the creek bottom. Saw small, medium and a big 8. The bigger buck was with a doe but he left her and came to a food plot about 300 yds away. I'm going in the morning come rain or shine, good luck to everyone!
Posted By: JimRitcholds481

Re: Montague County rut - 12/04/16 01:26 AM

Hard to hunt this year, took this guy early this year, November 10th. Been huntin probably another 15 times since then and haven't seen another shooter buck. The wife is starting to get impatient lol.

Re: Montague County rut - 12/04/16 04:52 AM

Hunted Jack Co. this evening, thought it was going to be really good but I guess the deer didn't get the memo. 4 tiny bucks and 2 does. Going in the morning.

Re: Montague County rut - 12/05/16 01:00 PM

Well yesterday should have been a great day too hunt anybody got any reports
Posted By: livetohunt76

Re: Montague County rut - 12/06/16 10:12 PM

Hunting this weekend off of Jim Harry loop.. Will report back on Monday!

Re: Montague County rut - 12/08/16 09:08 AM

Good luck! I am going west this weekend. I need to kill some pigs as they have left Montague.

Re: Montague County rut - 12/08/16 01:07 PM

Well Duckman they must have found my place, cause that's about all I see. The rest of the year is gonna be ducks and pig hunting. I've given up on the deer this year
Posted By: Hog Heaven Ranch

Re: Montague County rut - 12/08/16 07:29 PM

anyone near Nocona? I'm just south off Dixie school road and have seen nothing since opening morning. this goes for deer and hogs

Re: Montague County rut - 12/08/16 08:54 PM

Early November there was a ton of activity, slowly waned since then. The hogs have completely moved out of my neck of the woods. I'm up North of Nocona near the lake.
Posted By: burnit

Re: Montague County rut - 12/09/16 09:02 PM

Hog Heaven, where are you on Dixie School Rd? I'm off it to and have been for 8 years.

Re: Montague County rut - 12/09/16 11:26 PM

I'm just west of noble rd.
Posted By: burnit

Re: Montague County rut - 12/10/16 02:13 AM

I'm just north of you. We're the place east from where Fathery's mail box is.

Re: Montague County rut - 12/10/16 04:10 AM

I'm west of you at Ringgold, saw two little bucks and a nice eight point this evening. Not seeing any chasing right now. Deer are coming to our food plots and feeders. Also three does this evening. Had a lot of hogs, shot 5 of them last week and haven't seen any since. I don't know, well I think I do know, we have all of our stands (4) set up on the perimeter of 320 acres. We don't drive on the place in vehicles and especially 4 wheelers all during deer season. We implemented this rule 2 years ago and the number of deer on our place has risen noticeably. As low of an impact as we can, make it a safe place for the deer, cover , water and food and don't disturb them. We do take a Polaris once every week or two to fill up feeders and this is always in the middle of the day. Good Luck!

Re: Montague County rut - 12/12/16 08:15 PM

So are you near Smith's Triple Creek Ranch?
Posted By: kaisers0ze

Re: Montague County rut - 12/13/16 03:58 AM

we got a really nice old 11 pt east of nocona around 3301 and 1956...neck was still big but not coming out during day
if anyone around there bags a nice one, let me know...just trying to keep track of the big boys in the area

Re: Montague County rut - 12/13/16 12:53 PM

No big boys in my neck of the woods this year, except big pigs got plenty of those unfortunately

Re: Montague County rut - 12/14/16 01:32 AM

Finally got a mature deer on camera it only took until the middle of December

Re: Montague County rut - 12/14/16 01:33 AM

Re: Montague County rut - 12/14/16 01:33 AM

Re: Montague County rut - 12/14/16 04:03 AM

Nice one, still looking for a shooter myself. Good Luck!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Montague County rut - 12/14/16 12:42 PM

That's good news MM. Especially seeing that you have daytime pics!

Take some rattling horns with you if you need to bring him in. The way he's working that rub he will respond to them in this post rut phase. Good luck! up

Re: Montague County rut - 12/14/16 12:56 PM

Not sure why, but I've never had success rattling. Now a decoy and a grunt call are a different story! I've had pictures of this buck for 3 years since he was a 4yr old. If my dad doesn't get him this year, I'd love to see what he looks like at 7!

Re: Montague County rut - 12/14/16 05:25 PM

Considering all of the deer in our pics have no broken tines, they don't even know what a fight is. I only have pics of the little guys sparing and can't recall the last buck rattled in. But I am not getting out of the blind so probably is a factor.

Looking at the weather I am not sure anyone is going to go this weekend. I would if wife wasn't going out of town. Weather just brutal with the kids. With water line cracked from last freeze and going to be frozen this weekend daughter would not be happy.

Re: Montague County rut - 12/19/16 06:12 AM

My Son shot a nice 8 pt and I killed this Hog. 3 of us saw 18 does and 8 bucks this evening. They were moving and moving early. Good day to be hunting!

Re: Montague County rut - 12/19/16 09:08 AM

Very nice! Congrats! That pig looks huge.

Re: Montague County rut - 12/19/16 01:52 PM

Anybody out this week in the cold, or past weekend? I'm sitting now, curious about movement.

Re: Montague County rut - 12/19/16 02:40 PM

Ducked hunted Saturday morning and it was pretty slow, the pigs are wrecking my place so bad it ridiculous. Walked through the thickest parts of my property and didn't even spook one up. So I'm not sure where the staying.
Posted By: mustafa

Re: Montague County rut - 12/21/16 06:46 PM

I miss hunting in montague county. I really miss it when I'm driving from McKinney to Collingsworth county. I used to hunt around Illinois bend north of st. joe.

Re: Montague County rut - 12/23/16 07:01 PM

Went out this past Sun - Tues... boy it was cold! I pulled cards expecting a lot of doe pics, but there was finally a bunch of feeder activity. Also it appears that the late rut was pretty intense as well. I had a new comer to my property on camera, too bad he didn't poke his head out during daylight.

Re: Montague County rut - 12/24/16 12:29 AM

That's crazy mass, for a montague deer. Good luck getting that stud!

Re: Montague County rut - 12/24/16 05:26 AM

Good looking buck, hope you see him.

Re: Montague County rut - 01/05/17 11:29 AM

Grandson got a really nice 8 point a week ago. Took it to Dale Wade, local taxidermist who said it would score between 135 and 137. It was an old deer, about 6 1/2 yoa with not much teeth left. I'll try for a doe this weekend. After that, it's pig time and I have no shortage. Actually, I could say that I'm over run with them.

Re: Montague County rut - 01/05/17 12:43 PM

Yep time to go on hog patrol
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum