Texas Hunting Forum

Need Help on Bee Removal From Deer Blinds

Posted By: BenBob

Need Help on Bee Removal From Deer Blinds - 10/17/16 04:08 PM

Does anyone any have experience with ridding a blind of bees? We ran into this problem this last weekend and although I hate to admit it, the bees won by a wide margin. Professional help is probably out of the question because of the location.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Need Help on Bee Removal From Deer Blinds - 10/17/16 04:13 PM

Bees or wasps?

Have put a bug bomb in blinds for wasps in the past and that worked. A No Pest Strip in the blinds prevents the problem from happening, put one in in the Spring or when filling feeders late Summer

Most of the complaints I hear are Wasps using blinds for getting through the winter. Most of the time they are annoying but not aggressive as they are not protecting nests at this time of the year.

Bees on the other hand are a different problem
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Need Help on Bee Removal From Deer Blinds - 10/17/16 04:17 PM

Bees are what we need help with.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Need Help on Bee Removal From Deer Blinds - 10/17/16 04:18 PM

Roach bomb should do the trick.

During the cold I never worry about them and its never been an issue.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Need Help on Bee Removal From Deer Blinds - 10/17/16 05:20 PM

WD 40 with a lighter or hair spray. Just don't set blind on fire.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Need Help on Bee Removal From Deer Blinds - 10/17/16 05:24 PM

We have an old tower stand on our place with a huge hive between the floor of the stand and the base. You can't even get to them with a flame thrower. And they will mob you on your way up the stairs. I'm hoping for a lightning strike. roflmao
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Need Help on Bee Removal From Deer Blinds - 10/17/16 05:36 PM

make a smudge pot out of a coffee can, put it in and close the door.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Need Help on Bee Removal From Deer Blinds - 10/17/16 09:49 PM

If you cannot get a beekeeper out there to remove them you are best off hoping they will move on their own.

Once they get their scent all over it they will continue to come back.
Posted By: KG68

Re: Need Help on Bee Removal From Deer Blinds - 10/17/16 10:26 PM

I waited until after dark and used a hand sprayer with a malathion mix. I put on a heavy jacket, full face toboggan, gloves went in closed the door and gave'em he!!. What I didn't kill were gone the next day. bolt
Posted By: nocknload

Re: Need Help on Bee Removal From Deer Blinds - 10/18/16 01:34 AM

drop a bomb in the blind
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Need Help on Bee Removal From Deer Blinds - 10/18/16 02:28 AM

Derek on the TFF is our resident Bee keeper and all around expert. Highly recommend you PM him for advice. Good guy even if he spends more time fishing than hunting.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Need Help on Bee Removal From Deer Blinds - 10/20/16 02:56 PM

Hmmmm........ nidea

Put up another blind and go into business selling Honey! peep
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Need Help on Bee Removal From Deer Blinds - 10/20/16 03:36 PM

No Pest Strips will work on wasps and bees..........
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Need Help on Bee Removal From Deer Blinds - 10/20/16 05:47 PM

I watched a professional remove some bees once. He dug into the pile and scooped about a soft ball sized swarm of bees into a box and then set the box on the ground. Within 10 minutes most of the bees were in the box. He relocated them to his property. He said its all about finding the queen and the others will follow. Be gentle and don't hurt her or they'll attack. He said the ones that didn't make it into the box would die without the queen.

Well there's how you do it. Let us know how it turns out. popcorn
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: Need Help on Bee Removal From Deer Blinds - 10/20/16 08:42 PM

I would definitely call a professional....if you choose to go at them yourself, do us a favor and record a video...please... grin
Posted By: HWY72

Re: Need Help on Bee Removal From Deer Blinds - 10/21/16 12:15 PM

You didn't say if the hive was inside, under, or in the walls of the blind, but soapy water in a pump up sprayer will kill them. Just make sure you have good protection..... You can get a hood with shirt pretty cheap from amazon...<$25 Get one large enough to fit over an insulated jump suit, wear leather gloves, tape around the bottom of pant legs so the bees can't get in your suit. Most of the bees will be back in the hive around dusk.. Good luck! One other thing - if they're inside the blind you'll have a heck of a mess to clean up!
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Need Help on Bee Removal From Deer Blinds - 10/21/16 01:33 PM

Had a problem with a blind a few years ago. The one thing no one has mentioned, but is the number one thing you should know is to go in after dark. The bees cannot see and will not attack you. You can even use a small flashlight and they will remain dormant, plus all the bees will be back at the hive.

I used a puffer bottle with borax and it took care of them. Removed as much of the hive as possible and re-treated he remaining residue with more borax. They have not returned.
Posted By: HWY72

Re: Need Help on Bee Removal From Deer Blinds - 10/21/16 02:19 PM

BigAg is right that the bees return to the hive and are calm at night, as I said previously most will be on the hive at dusk.......but the bees will protect thier hive day or night if it's disturbed.....please protect yourself!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Need Help on Bee Removal From Deer Blinds - 10/21/16 02:55 PM

I would tape up all windows doors and openings and throw a few roach bombs in there and let it simmer a while.
Posted By: Booner1

Re: Need Help on Bee Removal From Deer Blinds - 10/21/16 03:35 PM

Please "DO NOT" kill those bees. They are so vital to our eco system and we need them to survive.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Need Help on Bee Removal From Deer Blinds - 10/22/16 03:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Booner1
Please "DO NOT" kill those bees. They are so vital to our eco system and we need them to survive.

Then they should know better than to mess with a deer hunters stand!
Posted By: WesTexHunter75

Re: Need Help on Bee Removal From Deer Blinds - 11/02/16 01:52 AM

7 dust scattered around where they enter or exit will kill them.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Need Help on Bee Removal From Deer Blinds - 11/02/16 01:54 AM

Burn it. To the ground.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Need Help on Bee Removal From Deer Blinds - 11/02/16 01:55 AM

Really? We'll all die if he kills those bees?
Posted By: postoak

Re: Need Help on Bee Removal From Deer Blinds - 11/02/16 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

Really? We'll all die if he kills those bees?

I read that as "we need for the bees to survive", but maybe not.

Anyway, how much does a beekeeper charge to move a hive? It seems regardless of remoteness you could get one out.
Posted By: postoak

Re: Need Help on Bee Removal From Deer Blinds - 11/02/16 02:23 AM

Here's a list of bee removal companies you can call for a quote:

http://beeremovalsource.com/bee-removal-list/texas/
Posted By: DPirates80

Re: Need Help on Bee Removal From Deer Blinds - 11/02/16 12:34 PM

Man I'd hate to be in that situation. Never had that problem, only with wasps. I do know that bees are becoming less and less, even closer to disappearing than ever before. Its like that in the back of your mind conscious of do I want to good for myself or good for the insects kind of deal....
Posted By: DPirates80

Re: Need Help on Bee Removal From Deer Blinds - 11/02/16 12:38 PM

I would honestly call someone to come remove them or transfer them to another location.
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Need Help on Bee Removal From Deer Blinds - 11/02/16 10:00 PM

Get a large coffee can and fill it half full of gasoline and put the lid on it.

Catch them on a cold morning or evening and carefully place coffee can in blind and then remove the lid. Or used a hoe or stick to place it inside blind. The heat of the day fumes will run them off and they have not return on us yet. They did make a big basket ball of bees hanging from a near by mesquite tree and left the next day. We also did the same thing with a coke can of gas in a large barbeque pit that got bees in it. It did not kill them and they left us some good honey also
Posted By: Kevon600

Re: Need Help on Bee Removal From Deer Blinds - 11/03/16 01:22 AM

Have you gotten the bees out? Where are you located?
Posted By: TxAggie10

Re: Need Help on Bee Removal From Deer Blinds - 11/03/16 01:38 AM

You'd be surprised how many local bee keepers there are. In my neck of the woods, people will almost line up to remove bees. This is in the Hamilton/Comanche area. See if you can find a local, community Facebook group in your hunting area. Post a topic and See if you have any volunteers to remove the bees.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum