Texas Hunting Forum

What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season

Posted By: Roll-Tide

What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/15/16 10:51 PM

Setting in stand, hogs come eat corn.
Shoot hog or wait to see if deer come by later....
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/15/16 11:06 PM

For me, it depends on a great many factors. Such as, is it in the rut? Are the big boys up and moving? If so, I probably won't shoot, unless they've run all the deer away. In which case, yes. Simply because as long as the hogs are there, the deer aren't.
Posted By: allterrain

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/15/16 11:12 PM

If the hogs are random maybe you can give them a pass, if they are on the feeder every day you need to start firing at them and get rid of them, my deer are afraid of the pigs and will not come to the feeder even if pigs are in the area.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/15/16 11:19 PM

Chootem
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/15/16 11:19 PM

Tough call.

The deer where I hunt scatter as soon as the pigs come out. I generally shot the pigs, but in fairness I hunt with a suppressor. I've found that deer will still come out after I shoot a pig or two. With that said, if I'm hubting the rut and have big deer on cameras I'll usually refrain.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/15/16 11:22 PM

Had a hog at the feeder this am and I could have shot, single hog no trophy size, feeder had not gone off so I waited. Once feeder went off, the hog spooked out. Deer came on cue to the dinner bell, or I guess it was breakfast bell. If the hog had not moved on after feeder went off, he would have been shot.

In the afternoon hunts, if hogs show up they are likely going to be shot as they will keep the deer away. However, depends which feeder I am hunting as two adjoin a large wheat field and deer will still show to that, so probably would wait until last minute to make a shot on the hog. As mentioned above, lots to consider.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/15/16 11:24 PM

Having said all that, if I see a hog patterning my feeder, for me that means they show regularly either day or night, those hogs are going to be shot on sight. No time for hogs to become complacent with my feeders. Gotta keep em on their hooves!
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/16/16 12:43 AM

Shoot every single pig I see while hunting
Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/16/16 12:57 AM

Shoot the pigs every time. Ive shot a pig, and had deer come out to the feeder 5 minutes afterwards and sniff the dead pig. We have way too many pigs here to let them walk.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/16/16 01:07 AM

I put a bullet in as many as I can. I hate hogs and they will have already ruined the hunt when they show up, so I empty my rifle.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/16/16 01:29 AM

Shoot em. Eat em. They taste better than venison.
Posted By: savoyspecial1

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/16/16 01:34 AM

I always take my 357 cal Airgun. It's whisper quiet and drops them in their tracks. I have shot several and 2 min later deer still walk out. Never go to the blind without it. It's good out to about 175 yards.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/16/16 04:16 AM

Originally Posted By: savoyspecial1
I always take my 357 cal Airgun. It's whisper quiet and drops them in their tracks. I have shot several and 2 min later deer still walk out. Never go to the blind without it. It's good out to about 175 yards.

Woah, never even heard of these. That is a hell of a pellet gun.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/16/16 05:27 AM

I put a 208 A-max in their earhole
Posted By: kry226

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/16/16 06:30 AM

Fire away. I've had deer come in to the feeder not five minutes after shooting a hog DRT at the feeder. He looked at the hog for a couple minutes, then figured that he zigged when he should have zagged, and went on eating.

With a suppressor, I'm going to worry about it even less.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/16/16 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: 603Country
roflmao
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/16/16 01:19 PM

I shoot every hog I see at anytime. I live on my place so my goal is to stress them throughout the year wiht heavy pressure. Typically, by hunting season we see very few. All my hunters are guests and I better not hear that they saw a hog and did not shoot. That is someone that will not be back.
Posted By: old fat guy

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/16/16 01:26 PM

I try to shoot at hogs every time I see them. The deer may not come out on that hunt, but at a later date when hogs are not coming to feeders during daylight hours, the deer will come to feeder.
Posted By: texashunter900

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/16/16 01:43 PM

if you don't want to shoot them, put some rocks in your stand a hit the feeder with one to scare them off.
Posted By: erok11

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/16/16 03:39 PM

rifle
Posted By: snake oil

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/16/16 04:09 PM

I take a .17 with me to the stand besides a deer rifle. So I gut shoot them just like I do coyotes and let them run off.And hell no I don't eat those nasty things when pork is so cheap.....
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/16/16 04:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Roll-Tide
Setting in stand, hogs come eat corn.
Shoot hog or wait to see if deer come by later....

Build a feeder pen and there won't be a decision.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/16/16 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: 603Country

Every day of the week and twice on Sunday....luv me some smoked wild pig.... food
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/16/16 06:38 PM

Just shoot the pig and sit tight. I've shot coyotes and pigs and had deer walk up and sniff them.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/16/16 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I put a bullet in as many as I can. I hate hogs and they will have already ruined the hunt when they show up, so I empty my rifle.
Originally Posted By: Ranch Dog
I shoot every hog I see at anytime. I live on my place so my goal is to stress them throughout the year wiht heavy pressure. Typically, by hunting season we see very few. All my hunters are guests and I better not hear that they saw a hog and did not shoot. That is someone that will not be back.

This!

We would not be welcome back to the ranch if they know we gave any hogs a pass. You can't if you care about the land. Piglets up to the big nasties none are safe around me. I help out by using the right tools for the job: Wilson Combat 308 or 6.8 are always with me when hunting. I've killed many hogs and had bucks and does celebrate their demise by eating the corn the hog would of eaten next to the dead hog minutes after shooting it.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/16/16 11:03 PM

I used to keep a wrist rocket in my pack for these occasions. Especially early bow season and during the rut. Zing a couple of rocks into them and they tend to head off after a few bounce off their noggin's. During colder times or when I need some meat to make sausage out of, I shoot 'em.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/17/16 11:53 PM

I certainly don't intend to question you, you've got lots of experience, but I've seen bucks after pigs leave on more than one occasion
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/18/16 12:47 AM

I kill a hog anytime I see one. I prefer pork to venison. I like the 80 to 100 pounders.
Posted By: Cueman

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/18/16 01:17 AM

I'll shoot a hog anytime. They screw up land and hunting.
Posted By: Gwood88

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/18/16 02:25 AM

rifle
Posted By: kry226

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/18/16 04:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

I certainly don't intend to question you, you've got lots of experience, but I've seen bucks after pigs leave on more than one occasion

I wish I could find it, but I've got a picture of a buck at a feeder standing over a pig I killed DRT not five minutes prior. I've also seen with my own eyes hogs running deer off the feeder and have TC pics of hogs staying at the feeder for hours, even bedding down under the feeder. SHOOT THE PIGS.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/18/16 05:39 AM

The only place I hunt where hogs won't scare certain deer is south Texas. Them mature deer know whose boss of the corn. Everywhere else they scatter. I shoot them at the lease and by Thanksgiving they are gone for a month normally. Then they come back until shot again. And so on.
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/18/16 12:55 PM

cheerleader I shoot pigs every time I see them. While in the past shooting might have kept the deer from showing up, I've never noticed it much. clap Like posted earlier, I've had deer feed over next to a dead hog or another deer many times. But I do like my sausage so I hammer a pig for the meat and I love the sound when the lead hits their skull! bolt
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/18/16 01:17 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan

^^^THIS^^^
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/18/16 01:38 PM

rifle
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/19/16 03:00 AM

Originally Posted By: kry226

I wish I could find it, but I've got a picture of a buck at a feeder standing over a pig I killed DRT not five minutes prior. I've also seen with my own eyes hogs running deer off the feeder and have TC pics of hogs staying at the feeder for hours, even bedding down under the feeder. SHOOT THE PIGS.

I watched a small buck do a stare down on three hogs I had in front of my blind eating the corn I threw out.
He came out and saw the hogs and kept staring at them from about 30 yards away, and then one of them noticed the deer and stared back which seemed like a minute or so.
Finally the hog took off in the opposite direction like something lit him up and the other two followed.
Gave me a good laugh....No I won't shoot a hog if I think there are deer around.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/19/16 03:14 AM

Every place is different. The deer here will run at the sight of a hog, coyote, dog or bobcat. The difference is in how quick the deer run and if they blow/snort before and/or after leaving. I have killed the hogs down to where they are rare sight here and only move in when it is really dry or really wet. If hogs stay to long they don't leave but become food for vultures and cara cara. So anytime the hogs move back and it is late in the day or at daylight in the morning the deer run and won't be back that hunt. So if they ruin my hunt, I ruin their life. If the hogs were here all the time the deer would have to get used to them.
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/19/16 01:50 PM

rifle....immediately....none shall pass....
Posted By: Hoytman

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/19/16 02:07 PM

Shoot pigs on sight! If they show up before or after they still get shot and as many as i can kill before they get out of site. And i love to eat em if they are under 100lbs.
Posted By: Dave3575

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/19/16 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Hoytman
Shoot pigs on sight! If they show up before or after they still get shot and as many as i can kill before they get out of site. And i love to eat em if they are under 100lbs.

100 or 300 - they eat the same. not sure why you put a weight limit on what you will eat.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/19/16 02:15 PM

shoot... a buck aint worth letting a pig go
Posted By: Triplesnake

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/19/16 02:17 PM

Originally Posted By: savoyspecial1

What kind of effective range does that airgun have?

I shoot all pigs. I love eating them and our deer won't come around if they are there.
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/19/16 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Schpanky
rifle....immediately....none shall pass....

THIS!!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/19/16 02:24 PM

Penned feeder up

If I see a lone hog and I feel like deer hunting sometimes I will let them go. If its a group of hogs ill shoot em.
Posted By: don k

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/19/16 02:44 PM

I shoot any hog I see. No matter where or when.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/19/16 02:51 PM

It's true that all places are different and our place is one of those that can be overrun by hogs at times. They travel our creek bottom and hang out because of water and big oak trees.
If we shot every hog we saw we would never kill a deer. They move through and sometimes you don't see any for several days and then they return or it's a new bunch.
We've shot them, trapped them, as well as the neighbor who had six traps set on our fenceline and just when you think you've won the battle, here they come and it seems like the sounders get bigger and more frequent.
Same with the turkeys, and it's not unusual to see 80 to over a hundred on one sit.
I've actually had to get out of my blind several times just to run them off and have them come right back.
I call them feathered vacuum cleaners.
We do kill deer because they have no choice but to get used to them.
Posted By: Hoytman

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/19/16 06:04 PM

DAVE3575 they dont all eat the same. Some boars stink so bad i wouldnt touch em with a ten foot pole. Thats like saying a 10 yr old bull will eat like a yearling. And i have plenty of experiance with both scenerious.I raised plenty of cattle and ate a few and have eaten many a wild hog.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/19/16 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Hoytman
DAVE3575 they dont all eat the same. Some boars stink so bad i wouldnt touch em with a ten foot pole. Thats like saying a 10 yr old bull will eat like a yearling. And i have plenty of experiance with both scenerious.I raised plenty of cattle and ate a few and have eaten many a wild hog.

Last hog we shot smelled to high hell. I decided I wasn't that hungry to try and go after getting even the backstraps out of him.
Posted By: mikei

Re: What do yall do when Hogs are at feeder. Deer Season - 10/19/16 08:57 PM

I shoot every one of them, on sight, regardless of what else I may be hunting. They are no good for the land and no good for the other animals sharing the land with them. Take 'em out!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum