Texas Hunting Forum

Moved from South Georgia to Texas

Posted By: Jsheffield

Moved from South Georgia to Texas - 10/15/16 12:11 AM

I just moved to San Antonio from Georgia to work for the Spurs. I have hunted south Georgia bucks since I was 3 years old I am looking for some tips on finding a place to hunt or some guys to take me under there wing to show me how to kill Texas bucks. I will gladly put in manual labor and do whatever it takes to makes this happen. I'm not trying to beg for somewhere to hunt I just do not know where to start. If you have any pointers I am all ears. Thanks in advance!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Moved from South Georgia to Texas - 10/15/16 12:22 AM

welcome Texas is 97%+ private land so leasing is the main stay of Texas hunting. There is some public land and Texas Parks and Wildlife has a lot of WMA that they do annual draws to allow hunting for those get drawn. Check their website and might still have a bit of time to apply for a few. Like some other states you will need a hunters education certificate if you are born after a certain date for Texas.
Posted By: BowsnRods

Re: Moved from South Georgia to Texas - 10/15/16 12:30 AM

Welcome to the Forum, You will have to make a choice either look into the public land hunts or find a lease to get on. I don't remember the length of time you have to be a resident of the state before you can purchase a residential hunting license. You might be stuck with buying an out of state license if you plan on hunting this season and they are pretty expensive.
Posted By: MikeOH

Re: Moved from South Georgia to Texas - 10/15/16 03:17 AM

I'm pretty new to Texas also and I've learned that while there is a lot of public land, leasing is the best option if you can afford it. I used the last year to figure things out and ended up finding a small lease for ducks and deer. I found my lease on the land/lease section of this forum. Might be a place to start.

Good luck
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Moved from South Georgia to Texas - 10/15/16 03:20 AM

Another option for you is to pay for a guided hunt you can choose meat hunt, cull hunt, management hunt or trophy hunt prices vary widely depending on what you are wanting. That may be your best option this season but once deer season ends it would be a good time to explore leases
Posted By: TenTenWhitetails

Re: Moved from South Georgia to Texas - 10/15/16 03:25 AM

Be happy to get you set up for this season on some hunts. Welcome to Texas!!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Moved from South Georgia to Texas - 10/15/16 12:55 PM

welcome

Re: Moved from South Georgia to Texas - 10/20/16 06:48 PM

Thanks for the help. If anyone comes across anyone looking for a last minute member or anything relatively close to San Antonio please reach out to me. I will gladly try to get you guys to a Spurs game!
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Moved from South Georgia to Texas - 10/20/16 07:02 PM

texas
Welcome
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Moved from South Georgia to Texas - 10/20/16 07:33 PM

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth...uth_Texa#UNREAD

Welcome to Texas! Dunno if this fits your budget but I will vouch for this ranch and the guys on it. Great group of guys who are all very helpful. Big deer, big culls and lots of other game. Just outside Laredo. This is a great place!
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: Moved from South Georgia to Texas - 10/20/16 07:34 PM

Welcome to deer paradise. texas welcome deer2 aim cheers

Re: Moved from South Georgia to Texas - 10/21/16 11:35 PM

I sure wish I was well off enough to afford that!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum