Texas Hunting Forum

Do You Cull Most Deer With Odd Antler Growth?

Posted By: BenBob

Do You Cull Most Deer With Odd Antler Growth? - 10/12/16 04:23 PM

Seems like some want to cull any buck with antler growth that is a little on the abnormal side. I get tired of seeing the slick 8s and 10s and consider some of the abnormal bucks to have a lot more character in their racks. I know there are some traits that need to be culled, but just because they do not follow the norm, are they labeled as culls on your lease? Sometimes I think people want to label a buck as a cull so they have another opportunity to kill something. I believe a lot of bucks with abnormal angle growth got this way because of an injury while the antlers were in the growing stage.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Do You Cull Most Deer With Odd Antler Growth? - 10/12/16 04:31 PM

Sometimes yes and sometimes no. We shot a buck last year that had a clean main beam on one side that went pretty straight up with a brow tine and the other was a normal 8 pt rack. He was the same configuration the year before so we shot him. If I thought it was an injury in velvet etc. I wouldn't shoot them.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Do You Cull Most Deer With Odd Antler Growth? - 10/12/16 05:50 PM

I personally like freaks....
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Do You Cull Most Deer With Odd Antler Growth? - 10/13/16 02:57 AM

Not unless I have history on them.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Do You Cull Most Deer With Odd Antler Growth? - 10/13/16 11:35 AM

I used to hunt on a large ranch that had a thirty acre piece of property on one side. We both shared the same road with adjoining gates at the road so I would bump into the guys hunting it now and then.
They did a lot of shooting and one morning I saw them at the gate as I was leaving and asked them how they did that morning.
They told me they shot a couple of culls and that they only shoot mature bucks and take out the culls......OKaaaaaay!
Those culls evidently were anything with a broken antler since one particular buck we had been seeing in the 140 class with the main beam broken just past the G2, seemed to not be there anymore especially when I saw it headed in that direction one morning and then heard a shot. aim
Yep, those culls need to be taken out of the gene pool alright! LOL
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Do You Cull Most Deer With Odd Antler Growth? - 10/13/16 01:32 PM

I generally do not cull anything until I'm sure I'm looking at a mature buck, 5.5 yr old +.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum