Texas Hunting Forum

Game Ranch (long read)

Posted By: MWTX270

Game Ranch (long read) - 10/12/16 12:16 AM

My son treated me to a hunt on a high fenced game ranch this past weekend, and I thought I would share with the forum. To start with, I was not looking forward to it, after all the negative things and remarks I have read in the past, but I didn't know a polite way to decline. I own a small farm, and can kill deer most anytime on my land, and also have a deer lease in jack county. So we start by getting lost Saturday morning, and was late arriving, but the host was very pleasant and helped us get things together and took us to the stand. I was on a management hunt, and he had picked out a buck, and had given us pictures from the game cams, and knew the feeder he frequenting. We saw him briefly the first morning, but no shot, as a doe smelled us, and alerted everything within 2 miles. That evening, we saw 8 bucks that would score over 200, a few smaller bucks, and about 20 does and fawns but not our buck. The sit that evening, was amazing! What a treat. I was excited as we took the video recorder back to the lodge and viewed the evening in the stand. What a treat. I got my buck Sunday morning, and he was a beautiful 10 point with 3 little cheaters, but they were only .875" long. scored 147 2/8 and weighed 201 lbs on the hoof and 167 field dressed. The staff at Lucky 13 game ranch, treated us like kings and did everything they could, to make us comfortable and have a good hunt. First class all the way. If you have a chance to hunt a place like this, jump on it. I have hunted elk, mule deer, pronghorn in 4 different western states, and whitetails here in Texas, for almost 50 years, but this hunt ranks in the top 3 of all time. It is no different than hunting your own lease or land, except someone else does all the hard work, and you just enjoy yourself. Nothing negative at all. I will post some pictures later.
Posted By: Tye

Re: Game Ranch (long read) - 10/12/16 01:36 AM

Good to hear that you didn't let your previous judgment of HF affect you from giving it a chance. Congrats on the buck and want to see pics!
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Game Ranch (long read) - 10/12/16 01:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Tye
Good to hear that you didn't let your previous judgment of HF affect you from giving it a chance. Congrats on the buck and want to see pics!
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Game Ranch (long read) - 10/12/16 01:45 PM

Congratulations. Nice to hear about the fun factor involved in going on a guided hunt that makes it all worthwhile.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Game Ranch (long read) - 10/12/16 01:53 PM

cheers
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Game Ranch (long read) - 10/12/16 02:38 PM

If you saw 8 bucks over 200" in one evenings set then it's far different than hunting your own lease. Sounds like you had a good time though so that's really all that matters.
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: Game Ranch (long read) - 10/12/16 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
cheers
Posted By: Fltmedic

Re: Game Ranch (long read) - 10/12/16 03:38 PM

Glad you had a great experience!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Game Ranch (long read) - 10/12/16 04:09 PM

Have hunted on a few HF places, mind you they were native stock not a 200" deer on the place 1,000-1,300 acres. I felt they were little to no different than any place I had ever hunted out of a blind/feeder combo. To me the only difference is you have a better chance of seeing a big buck because due to feed and management they probably actually exist in decent numbers.

Re: Game Ranch (long read) - 10/12/16 05:26 PM

You are correct, in that the big difference is the quality of bucks you will see. The ranch I hunted is passionate about their deer, and spend a lot of money taking care of them. I shot the biggest buck I have ever harvested, and it was a management buck.
Posted By: Tye

Re: Game Ranch (long read) - 10/12/16 06:59 PM

Originally Posted By: MWTX270
You are correct, in that the big difference is the quality of bucks you will see. The ranch I hunted is passionate about their deer, and spend a lot of money taking care of them. I shot the biggest buck I have ever harvested, and it was a management buck.

That would be a trophy on our HF ranch
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Game Ranch (long read) - 10/12/16 07:10 PM

up
Can't wait to see pics, glad you let yourself experience the "dark side." lol
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Game Ranch (long read) - 10/12/16 07:13 PM

worthless
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Game Ranch (long read) - 10/12/16 07:42 PM

Congrats cheers

Looking forward to the pictures up

Re: Game Ranch (long read) - 10/13/16 12:08 AM

here is a pic
Posted By: erniejs

Re: Game Ranch (long read) - 10/13/16 12:14 AM

Congrats on a nice buck
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Game Ranch (long read) - 10/13/16 01:07 AM

Originally Posted By: erniejs
Congrats on a nice buck

Yup.
Posted By: Lazy W Whitetail

Re: Game Ranch (long read) - 10/13/16 01:22 AM

Nice buck. Glad you see that all high fence ranches are not easy hunts.
Posted By: 68A

Re: Game Ranch (long read) - 10/13/16 01:29 AM

Nice buck OP
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Game Ranch (long read) - 10/13/16 02:09 AM

Good looking buck up
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Game Ranch (long read) - 10/13/16 06:02 AM

Look at that cat claw behind you! Hope our tannerite Sunday morning didn't bother you. We were just a few miles away from there. Congrats!
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Game Ranch (long read) - 10/14/16 02:17 AM

Great buck cheers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum