Texas Hunting Forum

Jumping deer on a new spot in the middle of the day? What do you do?

Posted By: spoon33

Jumping deer on a new spot in the middle of the day? What do you do? - 10/08/16 03:37 AM

Got access to 40 acres of land that my friends plan on building a house on next year. It appears pretty raw from my limited time on it today. Anyways, it's prob 30-40% scattered woods with both the SE and SW corner have a good amount of trees. The rest of the land is high grass and rolling hills.

My question is if I jump some deer in one of those two pocket of woods tomorrow midday should I assume it is a bedding area and back out? I'm not sure if I should hang a stand and hope for the best, hunt from the ground incase the tree I want to use is in a bad location, or just hang a camera and come back next week?
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Jumping deer on a new spot in the middle of the day? What do you do? - 10/08/16 03:46 AM

Where is the land?

Are you how or rifle?

I would start with a feeder and camera. Let them find it then you will see what you have.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Jumping deer on a new spot in the middle of the day? What do you do? - 10/08/16 03:46 AM

Bow
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Jumping deer on a new spot in the middle of the day? What do you do? - 10/08/16 11:33 AM

Hand corn and hang a couple TCs and see what you have.
Posted By: Indyoshi

Re: Jumping deer on a new spot in the middle of the day? What do you do? - 10/08/16 12:52 PM

Im curious about this too. I mainly hunt public land, sometimes stalk, and have spooked a handful of deer. If you spook one, how far do they usually go before bedding down again? Is there any way to catch back up? Will they come back to the area later?
Posted By: spoon33

Re: Jumping deer on a new spot in the middle of the day? What do you do? - 10/08/16 01:04 PM

It'll mainly be bow, although I do occasionally rifle hunt.
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Jumping deer on a new spot in the middle of the day? What do you do? - 10/08/16 09:47 PM

Look at it like this. If you jump deer, it's to late to back out. Might as well scope it out.
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: Jumping deer on a new spot in the middle of the day? What do you do? - 10/11/16 02:26 PM

You will be fine. If you get to hunt this place more than 1 time even better. If you can get in the night before and put some feed out for the next day. Either way you will be in the woods looking for SAUSAGE. clap
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: Jumping deer on a new spot in the middle of the day? What do you do? - 10/11/16 03:29 PM

Just make sure that you feed the crap out of the place.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum