Texas Hunting Forum

A recap of everyone's weekend hunting?

Posted By: spoon33

A recap of everyone's weekend hunting? - 10/02/16 11:57 PM

i didn't get a chance to hunt this weekend, but would love to hear from everyone on how your hunt went. See anything? Shoot anything? Any neighbors ruin your hunt?
Posted By: CleerCreekDC

Re: A recap of everyone's weekend hunting? - 10/03/16 12:48 AM

opening morning was a bust due to a predator. Opening evening I stuck my target buck. Now im trying to figure out what to do for the next several months... roflmao
Posted By: rifleman

Re: A recap of everyone's weekend hunting? - 10/03/16 12:51 AM

Sums it up....and no animals harmed.

Posted By: ChrisB

Re: A recap of everyone's weekend hunting? - 10/03/16 01:05 AM

Pigs, pigs and more pigs.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: A recap of everyone's weekend hunting? - 10/03/16 01:47 AM

Axis doe down.
Posted By: roughneck266

Re: A recap of everyone's weekend hunting? - 10/03/16 01:55 AM

One.stinkin.Fox.Squirrel.
Posted By: JMalin

Re: A recap of everyone's weekend hunting? - 10/03/16 01:58 AM

Bagged a doe.
Posted By: sbushee

Re: A recap of everyone's weekend hunting? - 10/03/16 02:01 AM

One small 8 pt seen. Trying again in the morning
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: A recap of everyone's weekend hunting? - 10/03/16 02:11 AM

I hunted Wed-Fri and got 3 hogs, had to head home before legal hours on Saturday.
Posted By: etx reaper

Re: A recap of everyone's weekend hunting? - 10/03/16 02:23 AM

Nothing but squirrels in the mornings. Lol. Saw 4 young bucks Saturday evening 3 which are legal but there getting pass this year. Saw my target buck walking back to house. Herd of hogs came in at prime time this evening but couldn't get a shot. Walked right past corn eating acorns. Not to bad of weekend considering I'm 200 yards from my back porch.
Posted By: cblackall

Re: A recap of everyone's weekend hunting? - 10/03/16 02:24 AM

Shot a nice eleven point yesterday evening. Had a ten point in there with him, and another eight point come in after I had shot. Also had a coyote pass through. Pretty eventful evening. What was really cool is I hadn't checked any trail cameras before season, so I had no clue what was coming in. Pretty exciting not knowing what I'm supposed to be looking for, and having that buck walk out.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: A recap of everyone's weekend hunting? - 10/03/16 02:26 AM

Only hunted Saturday morning.

New property that was hunted previously. I saw 7 bucks and two does, one with a fawn.

Deer knew something was up and wouldn't hang around very long, as usual the one buck that looked to be mature stayed back at the tree line and wouldn't come in.

I let the stand cool off that evening and all of today and I plan on being there in the morning.

Hopefully I'll get a look at a good buck
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: A recap of everyone's weekend hunting? - 10/03/16 12:42 PM

We went to Gonzales for the "Come and Take It" festival. The campground was loaded with deer. bang There was a little 8pt that was chasing does until a big 8pt ran him off. It looks like the rut was getting started there. That little buck had his nose on the ground.
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: A recap of everyone's weekend hunting? - 10/03/16 01:32 PM

Slow mornings in coryell.. evenings picked up but no big boys moving around.. saw doe and young bucks along with good groups of turkey and pigs..
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: A recap of everyone's weekend hunting? - 10/03/16 01:41 PM

I saw 9 different bucks but none them very old or not on the list. Still a great start and I can't wait to get back. My target bow showed up on camera the evening before the opener (Go figure grin)

My view Sunday morning
Posted By: cameron00

Re: A recap of everyone's weekend hunting? - 10/03/16 01:47 PM

I drank beer and watched football.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: A recap of everyone's weekend hunting? - 10/03/16 03:23 PM

Not much happening at Lease #1. Totally blanked Saturday morning. I have no idea why? Saturday afternoon saw a half dozen does and fawns and one medium sized 8 point. Nothing worth shooting. Sunday morning had a coyote at 30 yards and shot just under him. Of course I hit a rock and wrecked a $30 broadhead. Went to the rifle range Sunday afternoon and tested a new load for my 260 Rem. Getting 0.5 inch groups at 100 and chrono said I was getting 2825 fps. Stretched it out to 600 yards with no dope except for what my phone calculated and never had a miss on the gong with 30 rounds. This load looks really promising. All in all a good weekend.
Posted By: tworod

Re: A recap of everyone's weekend hunting? - 10/03/16 05:28 PM

saw a cow , wasnt a shooter though.
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: A recap of everyone's weekend hunting? - 10/03/16 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: tworod
saw a cow , wasnt a shooter though.
roflmao
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: A recap of everyone's weekend hunting? - 10/03/16 07:00 PM

My rains county season lasted 15 min.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: A recap of everyone's weekend hunting? - 10/03/16 07:20 PM

Friday PM and Saturday AM were dove shoots that I had daily limits number 9 and 10 for the year.

Saturday PM I watched a mature 10 pt get mounted by a bigger 8. It was disturbing.

Sunday AM I slept in. Went to the store mid-day and came back to a wildfire about a half mile west of our west property line. Had to guide a brush truck through our place to let him get at the fire. Finished jacking around with all that by 6:00 and decided to hunt. Got in the stand in rubber boots, t-shirt and athletic shorts by 6:30. Dropped this wide old warrior at 7:32:

I HATE bloody back of truck pictures, but I was hunting solo and none of my other pics show his width very well. I touched this up to try and keep it presentable.

Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: A recap of everyone's weekend hunting? - 10/03/16 07:24 PM

Great story and great deer!
Posted By: rifleman

Re: A recap of everyone's weekend hunting? - 10/03/16 08:03 PM

Good job on that one. up
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: A recap of everyone's weekend hunting? - 10/03/16 08:09 PM

cheers
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: A recap of everyone's weekend hunting? - 10/03/16 08:13 PM

Some people just fall into luck. Very nice wide deer.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: A recap of everyone's weekend hunting? - 10/03/16 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: tdecker22
My rains county season lasted 15 min.

Beautiful - Does his face look as dark in person as it does in the pic?
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: A recap of everyone's weekend hunting? - 10/03/16 08:29 PM

Beautiful bucks guys! cheers
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: A recap of everyone's weekend hunting? - 10/03/16 08:34 PM

I use the season opener of squirrel season as an excuse to scout for deer sign and good spots to setup stands and blinds. I should have followed my instincts and took the 30-30 instead of the .22 so I would have been prepared to remove the wild pig that I happened across Saturday morning.

I did locate several new spots for deer blinds.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum