Texas Hunting Forum

Opening day advice needed

Posted By: Mal R Drake

Opening day advice needed - 10/01/16 01:34 PM

I was hesitant about hunting this morning, fearing that I might bump some deer getting into the pop up blind especially since the blind is only 40 yards from the feeder. But I figured it's opening day and there is no way I'm sleeping in. So at 5:15 I'm sneaking out there and sure enough I hear a wheeze and I look up and there's a big shadow not that far away. I go ahead and get into the blind as quiet as possible but I knew I just spooked a buck. Sun comes up and I watch so does come and go and about 20 mins ago I decide to swap my sd card and head back to the house. Trail camera shows the buck I spooked, my number 1 hit list buck at the exact time I'm trying to get to the blind. He's a big mature 14 point. My question is how do you get in the blind without getting caught in the mornings during bow season? Also what are the chances of him coming back this evening? Needless to say I'm very frustrated with myself right now any help is appreciated.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Opening day advice needed - 10/01/16 02:03 PM

It happens. Hes in the area, thats good. Hes probably keeping an eye on those does.

All i can say us if you have 14 point, spend as much time in the blind as you can.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Opening day advice needed - 10/01/16 02:05 PM

Last year I was hunting a big sika buck (they are very nocturnal) and bumped a big group of them one morning on my way to the stand

They all came back in an hour later including the big boy

I would wait it out, you probably will get a shot at him sooner or later
Posted By: Apretz

Re: Opening day advice needed - 10/01/16 02:36 PM

Figure out what time he is coming in and either get there earlier or hunt there in the evening when you can get in without bumping him.
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: Opening day advice needed - 10/01/16 08:01 PM

I've been known to be in blind at 3:30am.
Posted By: maximum

Re: Opening day advice needed - 10/01/16 08:59 PM

this computer is showing you posted
at 8:34 am

did you only stay on the stand 'till 8:34 ?
Posted By: Red Cloud

Re: Opening day advice needed - 10/01/16 09:29 PM

Sleep in there if you have to, that buck will be worth a little shivering discomfort.
Posted By: Mal R Drake

Re: Opening day advice needed - 10/01/16 09:31 PM

Yes, neighbor came out in the field next door on his tractor and started loading round bails. Spooked off the last doe that was around. I'm in my tree stand now though, wind is perfect. Hopefully he'll show.
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Opening day advice needed - 10/02/16 04:55 PM

Sit all day and get in your pop up at like 4 am
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum