Texas Hunting Forum

Kick to the marbles...

Posted By: cameron00

Kick to the marbles... - 09/26/16 02:43 PM

So we've had a bunch of weird flooding this year, and the deer herd is very erratic. Sometimes I see a bunch of deer at my place, sometimes zero. I checked my camera last week and had only 1 deer for the past month - a young, tall but narrow 8 pt. Disappointing with bow season approaching, but at least there's 1 out there to watch, right?

Anyhow, I spoke with a guy that traps hogs on my property Friday morning and he mentioned a buck had broken its neck trying to jump out of my hog trap. Sent me a picture and, yep, it was the 1 buck I had pics of. So now I'm goosed.

Hopefully they come back soon. Our rut is early so they should start moving around.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Kick to the marbles... - 09/26/16 03:59 PM

Dang man, hope comes back around for you. Its a double edged sward river bottom land is some of the best hunting, but not when its under water.

Re: Kick to the marbles... - 09/26/16 10:20 PM

Yeah, I Imagine the rut will push them through again.

Hogs haven't gone anywhere. So there's always that.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Kick to the marbles... - 09/27/16 02:16 AM

That's tough. I hope you have the bucks come back!
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Kick to the marbles... - 09/27/16 02:32 AM

Bummer
Posted By: fracdaddy

Re: Kick to the marbles... - 09/28/16 03:38 PM

i wouldn't let him trap during the season..
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Kick to the marbles... - 09/28/16 03:47 PM

Kick the trapper off...lots of activity and probably actively luring in trap shy hogs at this point.
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: Kick to the marbles... - 09/28/16 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
Kick the trapper off...lots of activity and probably actively luring in trap shy hogs at this point.

x2 or monitor him and his practices a little closer
Posted By: Western

Re: Kick to the marbles... - 09/28/16 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman

X's 3, you will deal with the hogs in a couple weeks

Re: Kick to the marbles... - 09/28/16 06:02 PM

Trap has already been shut down until after the season. I actually stopped it a few weeks before this buck was killed and the trapper set it back up because a really big boar had been tearing up the hay patch and the rancher asked him to try to get it.

I wasn't necessarily mad, but he knows not to run it again until I give him the green light.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum