Texas Hunting Forum

Food plot!!!

Posted By: sunsetroosters

Food plot!!! - 09/26/16 02:17 PM

What do you like in your food plot? I'm in ntx and am going to plant mine this week and was just wondering what you guys think works a the best. I'm going to make my own mixture.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Food plot!!! - 09/26/16 02:59 PM

I got mine planted last Friday, just in time for these rains clap up

went with a blend of oats, wheat, chicory, clover, peas, turnip, milo. I got a couple extra bags of feed oats and additional peas ...
Posted By: jjason

Re: Food plot!!! - 09/26/16 03:04 PM

Tritacale 2,250 lbs of it this year
Posted By: Western

Re: Food plot!!! - 09/26/16 03:10 PM

Planted mine last Saturday, 60/40, oats/ wheat. Already have some residual arrowleaf clover reseeding a bit. Added about 300# acre of fertilizer as usually, but will need another soil sample next summer. Already up in some places about 2" when I looked Friday, extra .60 of rain should get the rest on the move.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Food plot!!! - 09/26/16 03:13 PM

I plant 100lbs of oats & 50lbs of Austrian winter peas per acre with 150lbs of 13-13-13. All I can say is that it works for me and pulls the deer in when others are not seeing anything.
Here is last years 4 acre food plot.

Re: Food plot!!! - 09/26/16 03:23 PM

his is mine last Spring, got over 4', same mix and fertilizer

Clover I seeded 2 years ago peaking through on the shorter edges

This plot is not bottom land by any stretch, another angle of the trail I cut to walk Bella
Posted By: sunsetroosters

Re: Food plot!!! - 09/26/16 04:30 PM

Are you guys putting this in with a broadcast or a drill? Anyone use any alfalfa and also how do they like the clover? I'm planting about a half of an acre. Are you putting the fertilizer on right when you put down the seed?
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Food plot!!! - 09/26/16 04:43 PM

I broadcast mine and I put the fertilizer on at the same time, but I have been told that you can wait for them to come up for about two weeks and then lay the fertilizer down as a top dressing.

Re: Food plot!!! - 09/26/16 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
I broadcast mine and I put the fertilizer on at the same time, but I have been told that you can wait for them to come up for about two weeks and then lay the fertilizer down as a top dressing.

I do the same, Nitrogen moves fast through the soil, real fast, the other 2 main elements do not, that is why I like to get it in the ground. Actually, I fertilize just before the last discing pass, this gets the fertilizer a bit deeper, then I disc one more time, broadcast and drag. You can always come back when it is 6" up or so, and top dress with a str8 nitrogen to boost top growth, I have done that a few times when I felt the nitrogen had been already depleted.

I grew a patch of Alfalfa in in the 90s when we had our farm, it did spectacular in a low lying area I had. Used a cultivar A7M came out with, iirc it was Ladak, or dryland alfalfa, but anyway, bred for dryer conditions. Lasted pretty much for the 4-5 years we where still there, though it got thinner each year.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum