Texas Hunting Forum

Clean-up your mess!

Posted By: Slimpickin

Clean-up your mess! - 09/11/16 08:50 PM

Driving down to fill feeders, I noticed the road ditches full of Corn sacks. We always pickup every piece of paper and strings from our sacks and make sure they are secured in the truck. If you just throw the sack in the truckbed, it's almost a guarantee they will blow out going down the road.
Take a little extra time to secure your load so some local community member is not picking up your trash!
Posted By: MoTex

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/11/16 09:01 PM

I agree it irritates me to see corn sacks along the road!
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/11/16 09:32 PM

Hunters can be messy crowd, and the mass of laziness and lack of responsibility by some of my fellow hunters ticks me off.
Corn bags on the road is just part of it. A few times a year we see Hefty trash bags full of guts dumped on the side of the road in front of our place, you know that didn't "accidentally" fly out. Not to mention the increase in beer bottles during deer season, and full bags of lease trash that are too heavy to just fly out, they had to be thrown from a truck.
After 12 years of cleaning every piece of trash from 5000 acres, including the road frontage, I think it is safe to say that hunters are responsible for a large part of the mess.
We had a leaser that had a pile of beer bottles, cans, and misc trash from snacks outside of his deer blind. He was asked many times to clean it up. He finally left the lease and his trash.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/11/16 09:58 PM

Just another signal to the non-hunting majority who live in the country that deer season is almost here.
Posted By: maximum

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/11/16 10:06 PM

last time i dove hunted public land
i picked up way over a hundred shotshell
hulls that pinheads had left along with
water bottles, wrappers, etc.

lotsa pinheads around to ruin it for
the rest of the hunters
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/11/16 10:28 PM

It was everyone responsibility to clean up around camp before leaving, whether only one or the whole crew showed up.
Trash got dumped off at home. Deer cleanings left at camp in the woods.
Irresponsible hunters tick me off, we are all adults not kids. Just BS to do trash like that. 2cents

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/12/16 12:00 AM

IMO, another behavior that shows disrespect for landowners is unnecessary shooting. If you want to sling a lot of lead, do it at a practice range.
Posted By: tholloway

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/12/16 01:39 AM

2nd all the above, witness too much of the above, no wonder land owners who partake in leasing land to TPWD, want to sell our public land, IDIOTS trash their property. witness too much of the above on public land.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/12/16 02:01 AM

This stuff sickens me as well. Starts at home. My boys know they pick up their shells and never leave a single piece of trash anywhere. Its automatic with our family.
Most of this comes from 4 wheelers and ATVers but its the same sickening ridiculous crap.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/12/16 02:08 AM

Those who don't take care of trash don't stay on our lease.
Posted By: C.K.

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/12/16 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Wilhunt

up
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/12/16 03:43 AM

Originally Posted By: C.K.
Originally Posted By: Wilhunt

up
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/12/16 01:07 PM

Trash is trash

Some of it's left where it doesn't belong, the rest of it left it there! realmad

Trash has no limits....be it hunters, campers, or fisherman. Corn sacks in the road, cans in the fire pit, or old fishing line & bait boxes floating in the water or left on the bank. 2cents
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/12/16 02:07 PM

Recently looked at a property on the Guadalupe river in Kerrville. The lady who owned it says people always asked her if they could fish and she used to let them but she said the "fishermen" always left a bunch of trash laying around so she stopped.

I also see the corn sacks littering the road sides, and the rest areas we pass too/from the ranch are always stacked high with trash from hunters. I wish it were true that outdoorsmen were good clean living people, but its simply not true there are just as many slobs among us as anywhere else.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/12/16 02:16 PM

One time I was hunting Granger WMA and was running late to a date. I was pulled over doing nearly 100 mph. The officer questioned me about a game bag full of various beer cans. When I told him I picked them up as I was hunting he let me go and told me to slow it down..that was awesome. The woods are like a church. We would never litter our church. Especially when we know God is there.
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/12/16 02:21 PM

Trash in, trash out! Plus some.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/12/16 02:32 PM

All the rest stops along I-10 should definitely have larger trash cans since they are almost always overflowing with empty sacks. I get about 30 bags in to three bags and strap them down until I get home. I've had a few bags fly out over the years confused2
Posted By: 44carbine

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/12/16 06:58 PM

I can always tell when its getting close to deer season, corn sacks, fast food trash (from establishments not in our area) and beer cans or bottles thrown out all down the county road. And people wonder why I tell them no I am not interested in leasing my properties as I am out in the front fenceline cleaning up the trash.
Posted By: KnoxCityNate

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/12/16 08:00 PM

Very annoying, I make it a point to toss them in a tote until I get home
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/12/16 08:28 PM

We always just burn ours. Quick and easy.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/12/16 09:10 PM

yep, haul out what you hauled in ... corn sacks go back to the feed store to be refilled (Brown Feed in Lampasas allows 10 cents a bag if they can be used again).
Posted By: fritz423

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/12/16 11:58 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WamdVrtoenk

I'm glad people are getting the word out...

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/13/16 12:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Wacm
One time I was hunting Granger WMA and was running late to a date. I was pulled over doing nearly 100 mph. The officer questioned me about a game bag full of various beer cans. When I told him I picked them up as I was hunting he let me go and told me to slow it down..that was awesome. The woods are like a church. We would never litter our church. Especially when we know God is there.

I get the same feeling. God does NOT want us to throw our trash out in his back yard.

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/13/16 12:12 AM

Originally Posted By: titan2232
All the rest stops along I-10 should definitely have larger trash cans since they are almost always overflowing with empty sacks. I get about 30 bags in to three bags and strap them down until I get home. I've had a few bags fly out over the years confused2

You got it right, Rest Stops, and that is what those trash cans are for. Not for all of the leasers to dump off ranch trash on the way home. They are for travelers to use. I have seen bags stacked ten deep at rest stops with crap blowing everywhere from coons getting to it. It blows me away that people will leave trash there when there are already 100 bags falling out into the driveway. People need to take their trash home.
Posted By: crumrw

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/13/16 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
IMO, another behavior that shows disrespect for landowners is unnecessary shooting. If you want to sling a lot of lead, do it at a practice range.

I don't mind neighbors target practicing. It's their land, there business, though it can be aggrivating at times especially when I'm sitting in the stand. In my case, my neighbor has a few kids and I think it's great that they're getting outside and getting an education in firearms. Also, I know the deer are gonna hang out on my property if it's a war zone over there. banana

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/13/16 02:47 AM

Originally Posted By: crumrw
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

I don't mind neighbors target practicing. It's their land, there business, though it can be aggrivating at times especially when I'm sitting in the stand. In my case, my neighbor has a few kids and I think it's great that they're getting outside and getting an education in firearms. Also, I know the deer are gonna hang out on my property if it's a war zone over there. banana

I've found deer move more during the middle of the week when you hear far less shooting and no ATV traffic. I'll never forget the time two young bucks almost ran over me after getting spooked at the sound of an ATV on an adjacent property. They trotted by and stopped about 15 yards in front of me to look back in the direction of the ATV. I was amazed the sound of an ATV could impact deer at that distance.
Posted By: JYG71

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/14/16 08:25 PM

When i first started hunting I hunted a lot of Texas public land. The ongoing joke at camp was if you wanted a good un-interrupted hunt, keep walking until you no longer see cigarette butts and bottle caps on the ground, then find a good stand site.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/16/16 02:10 PM

Our lease has one side fronting a FM road and gets a lot of traffic since the oil boom.
I work hard to pick up any trash that ends up on our lease and even the roadway along the FM road but it continues to pile up.
Feed sacks are a problem along with illegal dumping.
A lot of people just have no respect of themselves or of others.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/16/16 04:12 PM

Hunted on Walter Buck Mgt area once for turkey. Walking through the assigned area I was dismayed at the amount of trash I found. Beer/soda cans, trash of all sorts. I found a couple of shopping bags out in the middle and started picking it all up.
When I checked out that day for a late lunch I asked the GW where I could dump this stuff. She said they didn't take our trash until I told her this was what I picked up out on the area I hunted. She thanked me and pointed to a dumpster they had.
People that disregard nature have no right to be there.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/16/16 04:30 PM

I'm with y'all on weighting down your corn sacks for the trip home. However, beer cans out the window on the highway stimulate the economy.

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/18/16 01:07 AM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster
I'm with y'all on weighting down your corn sacks for the trip home. However, beer cans out the window on the highway stimulate the economy.

Ha! I'm not sure I can get behind that stimulus package...

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/18/16 01:09 AM

The odd thing is deer corn bags are sturdy and I use them for all kinds of ship around the ranch. Tossing them out so you can buy a bunch of glad garbage bags seems silly.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/19/16 03:01 AM

The deer woods in Oklahoma kind of goes from God's country to a trash pit. Boaters and fisherman are no better. Pick up trash every day on the shoreline.

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/19/16 03:09 AM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster

Please explain
Posted By: maximum

Re: Clean-up your mess! - 09/19/16 04:54 PM

i think it's too late to get a lot of
folks to change from slobs to responsible
citizens. i just shake my head as i pick
up others folk's garbage. i can visualize
all the empty shotgun hulls just from this
year that some reloader somewhere would be
happy to have
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum