Is He Legal? - 09/06/16 09:12 PM

Posted By: rickym

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/06/16 09:20 PM

At that angle I say no
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/06/16 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: rickym
At that angle I say no
agree bad angle so I wouldn't take the chance off that pic only.
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/06/16 09:37 PM

I added more pics.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/06/16 09:45 PM

I think he is around 12-12.5 too close IMHO
Posted By: rickym

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/06/16 09:50 PM

I still say no, to risky, give him a year or two.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/06/16 10:04 PM

He's close but I think he's right at 13.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/06/16 10:12 PM

Aint no spring chicken buck...makes me think the ears a little outside 13 themselves, and so the spread should be close. I am not saying I would pull the trigger on this one, but dang, the mass on that little basket is thick. A shame really. Rules were designed to let bucks age, this buck is old enough and should be bigger, this is a case of letting bad genetics walk...
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/06/16 10:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Erny
He's close but I think he's right at 13.
I wouldn't shoot em; too hard to tell. But I agree.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/06/16 11:29 PM

Too close to call but I could say no and fully mature

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/06/16 11:48 PM

It's hard having an old buck like that walking around while my 10 year old son is looking for his first deer.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/07/16 12:21 AM

How old would you guess him to be? He might not be around to get much wider.
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/07/16 12:29 AM

rifle
Posted By: BowsnRods

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/07/16 12:45 AM

It would be hard call to make, I say he meets the spread requirement but barely, he is mature and will probably not get any wider than he is now.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/07/16 12:56 AM

Shoot him between the eyes then measure

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/07/16 01:32 AM

Originally Posted By: ZK-315
Shoot him between the eyes then measure

roflmao
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/07/16 02:03 AM

I wouldn't risk it. And he's still young enough to that he might add some size next year. Let him be IMO.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/07/16 12:26 PM

The way I see it, he's mature but not old yet. I wouldn't chance it this year.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/07/16 12:31 PM

If you read the guidelines set by TPWD and follow them, then no he is not legal by their guidelines. If he is not and you get checked then you will be getting little piece of paper with $$$ written on it you owe. He is way to close for me to even attempt shooting.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/07/16 12:32 PM

Ground check him.

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/07/16 09:47 PM

He is mature(5+) IMO. He has that tell tale hump on top of his shoulders that a post mature buck(7+) has in a couple of those pics. It could be the way he is standing. Need a couple of full broadside pics where you can see the whole body of the buck.
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/07/16 09:48 PM

Way to close to chance it.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/07/16 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: dgilbert
Way to close to chance it.

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/07/16 09:55 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
He is mature(5+) IMO. He has that tell tale hump on top of his shoulders that a post mature buck(7+) has in a couple of those pics. It could be the way he is standing. Need a couple of full broadside pics where you can see the whole body of the buck.

Here's another pic with his buddy.

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/07/16 10:00 PM

The power of more pictures changes his look a lot. He looks more of a 5 yr old max in that pic. He does not appear to have the big pad on his hock that a mature buck would have in that pic. Makes him look a bit younger than he does in the other 3 pics.

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/07/16 10:42 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
The power of more pictures changes his look a lot. He looks more of a 5 yr old max in that pic. He does not appear to have the big pad on his hock that a mature buck would have in that pic. Makes him look a bit younger than he does in the other 3 pics.

Thanks STX.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/08/16 12:07 AM

I think he needs 1/2 inch on each side.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/08/16 01:19 PM

Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn
It's hard having an old buck like that walking around while my 10 year old son is looking for his first deer.

I don't think the buck makes it.

If this buck steps out while hunting with son take the opportunity to teach him why he can't shoot it.
Remind him that hunting isn't all about killing and that good things are worth waiting for up

With that said... When the first legal buck offers a shot give him the green light rifle
Posted By: deerhunter1956

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/08/16 05:21 PM

Way to close let him go.
Posted By: therancher

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/08/16 06:41 PM

Probably a 4 year old buck and the poster child for what's wrong with the state's AR law. He's gonna be your breeder for a few more years if you follow the law.

I LOVE the fact that AR's are resulting in older and better bucks being killed. But there needs to be an exemption for deer like that. The law should allow children to tag deer like that. Or some other route to get them out of the gene pool.

Of course, you could let your son shoot that deer, self report, and see how compassionate the GW is... bolt
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/08/16 07:28 PM

Did you see the episode of Lone Star Law where the hunter shot a large deer that turned out to be very questionable? The hunter called the Game Warden and reported killing the deer. Seemed the size of the deer is what threw the hunter off. Warden gave him a ticket but also said he would tell the judge of the circumstance in involved. The hunter was fined $25. could have been much more if he had handled the situation differently.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/08/16 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Wilhunt
Did you see the episode of Lone Star Law where the hunter shot a large deer that turned out to be very questionable? The hunter called the Game Warden and reported killing the deer. Seemed the size of the deer is what threw the hunter off. Warden gave him a ticket but also said he would tell the judge of the circumstance in involved. The hunter was fined $25. could have been much more if he had handled the situation differently.

I saw that episode. GW still wrote him a ticket but could have given him a warning due to fact he self reported without any requirement of reporting but that deer was no way close to being 13". That hunter just saw body/horns and boom IMO. Note I think it was in that same episode a DB dad shot a deer and let his some take the wrap for a ticket (neither had license). GW called tipster back when leaving shooter's house saying spoke to kid. Tipster said he knows it was dad that killed deer which was during time kid was in schoold. GW turned around and confronted dad who admitted killing deer. GW slapped him with big ticket. Thanks Dad, love you too and thanks for the good upbringing!
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/10/16 04:48 PM

I think the extra width on his left side makes up for the lack of width on his right side. He doesn't clear both ears, but he clears that one enough I think he's legal.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/11/16 03:21 AM

Too close for me to take that chance. I would pass.
Posted By: Bear Charge

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/11/16 06:08 PM

Too close for me.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/11/16 06:32 PM

This post shows the problem; you won't get a chance to judge that buck with a camera. Usually the buck is 200 yards away, 5 minutes from the sun setting in your eyes, while he's chasing a doe--and you're telling a 8 year old why he can't shoot his first buck. I'd pass on him.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/11/16 08:49 PM

I think he barely makes it, but not sure enough that I would personally pull the trigger.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/11/16 09:30 PM

What county?

NE Texas I think he's 13 on the money, but too close for me... sadly, we have to have this discussion.

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/11/16 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
What county?

NE Texas I think he's 13 on the money, but too close for me... sadly, we have to have this discussion.

Wolfe City.
Posted By: Hoytman

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/12/16 03:08 PM

Good pics and way too close to call. i think he is a older buck but no way worth a ticket.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/14/16 02:27 AM

I'm in the minority. But I think he makes it. Plus I think he will look the same next year.
Posted By:

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/15/16 12:28 PM

Take him. let your 10 year old get his first deer, may not be a trophy but who cares. He's mature
Posted By: crice8

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/15/16 04:38 PM

If you can measure the width of the block or any other object in the photos, there are several softwares and applications that get very close at determining the measurements. I used one last year on a buck I shot and it was within .5". The being said, on the fly in the field is he walks out being a mature buck I would say his ears are at least 13" wide. Some people are comfortable with being close to the 13" rule. Typically if it's close I will not take the shot, but since he is such a mature deer with that sort of mass, I would have to think hard on it. There has been a buck we have let walk the last 3 years because he is very tall but inside his ears. But your buck is outside his ears.
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/15/16 06:11 PM

He is 13 1/8"

I wouldn't chance it though. Unless it was a split decision for a child on a hunt without ever having seen the deer or documented publicly knowing he was iffy. If those were the conditions game warden might be flexible on a self report.
Posted By: Kell

Re: Is He Legal? - 09/15/16 09:13 PM

I can't call it and have been deer hunting for over 50 years. This highlights the problem with the 13" rule. TP&W went an inch too far. I was all for some restrictions to protect the 18 mos. bucks that previously made up the majority of the deer harvest in some areas. I believe AR's work to protect the young bucks. If only TP&W had gone 12" instead of 13"! The young bucks are almost never 12" inside and they typically show their age. They look young. On the other hand, a percentage of bucks even 3.5 years of age and older are less than 13" inside. Bucks don't often stand around next to a yardstick (and ears are a poor yardstick). The heft of age and the mass of a rack are much easier to judge in the seconds when a big old boy makes your heart skip a beat as he follows his nose across a sendero or logging road on the trail of a hot doe.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum