Texas Hunting Forum

Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10?

Posted By: S.A. hunter

Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/02/16 03:05 PM

Nephew bought a armalite AR-10 B carbine 16 inch. He was also gonna buy a hunting rifle. Just wondering if he can just slap a scope on it and use it for deer? Max shot at our land is no more then 200 yards.I have no clue what the AR is capable of. Any first hand input would be appreciated. Thanks
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/02/16 03:08 PM

Sure he can. Just don't carry a magazine that holds more than five rounds while deer hunting.
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/02/16 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Sure he can. Just don't carry a magazine that holds more than five rounds while deer hunting.

not true any more..... any magazine will be fine
Posted By: Txhuntr2

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/02/16 03:48 PM

I use a scoped, supressed LR-308 and love it. Its shoots MOA with good factory ammo and is really fun when a sounder of hogs rolls through. Its plenty for deer within 200 yards. The only down side I've found is racking a shell into the chamber is LOUD in a deer stand bc you have to let the bolt fall forward. No way to quietly load a shell.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/02/16 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: SingleShot85
Originally Posted By: fouzman

not true any more..... any magazine will be fine

Thanks! Hogs are in trouble during deer sseason, now. 100 round drum, here we come!
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/02/16 07:09 PM

I do, love it too

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/02/16 08:10 PM

Cool, thanks for the input. I didn't see a need to buy a hunting rifle if he had a AR. I told him to look at the P 308 from Nikon. I'm thinking it should be a good combination.
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/02/16 08:33 PM

I do too, and TXhuntr2 is right it is loud. I rack one when I get out of the truck. I racked one real easy and quiet last year in the blind and it didn't fire. You gotta let that thing slam.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/02/16 08:36 PM

Yes, in 6.5 CM...did a heck of a job! I saw you mentioned 200yds...I've hit steel out to 800 yds with it.
Posted By: Chris001

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/02/16 08:54 PM

Yep sig 716 here...hogs, deer, racoon.its good for all and use a 20 round mag.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/02/16 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Stratgolfer
I do too, and TXhuntr2 is right it is loud. I rack one when I get out of the truck. I racked one real easy and quiet last year in the blind and it didn't fire. You gotta let that thing slam.
that's what that bolt assist on the right side of the upper is for. Assist in fully closing the bolt.
Posted By: fritz423

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/02/16 10:36 PM

I've found that I drop less pigs with an AR than with a bolt action .270. I think I rely too much on the second (third, fourth, fifth...) shot with an automatic.

EDIT: Semi-automatic of course
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/03/16 01:30 AM

Yes kills them just as dead as a bolt gun. Great for my daughter being very light recoil shooting 308 178 grain Amax. And much more fun when the hogs show up. I can hit steel out to 800 yards with it, can't say that about my bolt rifles.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/03/16 02:12 AM

I have a DPMS LR-308....rifle is more accurate than I am..... cheers

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/03/16 02:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Yes kills them just as dead as a bolt gun. Great for my daughter being very light recoil shooting 308 178 grain Amax. And much more fun when the hogs show up. I can hit steel out to 800 yards with it, can't say that about my bolt rifles.

Is it modified or stock?
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/03/16 01:08 PM

Yes.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/03/16 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: S.A. hunter
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Is it modified or stock?

Stock Wilson Combat. Bushnell LRHS 4-18X44

But, Wilson Combat rifles are like buying custom long range ARs off the shelf. No need to add or subtract. up

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/04/16 06:45 AM

Cool, thanks for the info.
Posted By: billybob

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/04/16 11:05 AM

I hunt both hogs and deer with this 308 DPM Oracle Night or day vision Pulsar.Hogs 20 Rd Mag. Deer 4 rd mag.

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/04/16 01:08 PM

That's one heck of a setup you got there. up
Posted By: Hogflyer

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/04/16 01:09 PM

Yep, at times last year we carry Bushmaster in .308, smiple nikon scope, think 3.9 on it...... we have pigs on property here
near brenham, when they come in, deer are gone, they run the deer off...... so we try to slow down the population some,
about 5 or 6 rounds in mag and we are ready...... pigs dont run that fast! besides 165 grn Nosler makes a big hole or puts them quickly..... we all hand load here.....

Gonna put up cattle panels this year around the feed pin, wonder if that will discourage the pigs then? have cattle on property will make it interesting.

Deer hunt with simple Rem SPS .223 hand loads on 55grn nosler...... < than min grp at 150yds.... get all the meat i need with that gun......

hunt safe.....
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/06/16 12:49 PM

I do and love it. Mine is the A10 (T) and shoots 1 hole groups. It's a little heavy but I'm hunting out of a blind mostly.
Posted By: Triplesnake

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/06/16 02:58 PM

Yep, I've taken some nice deer and pigs with my AR-10. It is very accurate with my 165gr hand loads, and just plain fun to shoot.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/06/16 03:16 PM

Not a 10, but I have an AR-15 6.8 that I use at times.

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/06/16 08:34 PM

Okay, next question. How the recoil? I can't imagine it would feel good, But maybe the weight helps lessen the kick? What you say?
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/06/16 08:39 PM

I use the Colt 901 with a heavy barrel, its like butter. It does not seem to have as much recoil as a bolt gun in .308.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/07/16 12:36 AM

Less recoil than a bolt action 308.
Posted By: TX Hitman

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/07/16 01:20 PM

I shoot a Rock River LAR 308 with 20" bull barrel. Love it!

Only down side is that it's heavy.
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/07/16 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip
Less recoil than a bolt action 308.

easily

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/07/16 07:07 PM

I'm gonna have to try my nephew's AR. Maybe it will be my next rifle. The more I read and watch about them, the more I like em. I'll have to admit I have said I'd never own one.
Posted By: TXGH

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/07/16 08:09 PM

Awesome info! i am buying a DPMS Oracle .308 tonight! I am excited for it, and glad to trade up from a .223!
Posted By: Armalite260

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/09/16 03:38 PM

Heck Yeah.. I love my AR10's... 260 and 308, both do the job VERY well..

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/09/16 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: billybob
I hunt both hogs and deer with this 308 DPM Oracle Night or day vision Pulsar.Hogs 20 Rd Mag. Deer 4 rd mag.

Another nice setup. Just wondering, why a 4 rounder when hunting deer? When I hunt them with the AR-15 chambered in 6.5 Grendel there is usually 10 round magazine in it incase hogs come by. In Texas there is no limit for how many rounds your rifle can hold for hunting deer.

Quote:
Magazine Capacity

There are no restrictions on the number of shells or cartridges a legal firearm may hold when hunting game animals or game birds (except migratory game birds, see Legal Shotgun).
TPWD Link
Posted By: Txhuntr2

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/09/16 07:59 PM

The only mod my DPMS LR-308 needed after a scope was a match trigger. DPMS factory trigger is TERRIBLE. This rifle has very light recoil in my opinion. I believe a child could shoot it comfortably.

As stated before, it is heavy. Especially with my stainless suppressor, but most of my hunting is from a blind so the weight is no concern. As for mobility in the blind, the 16inch barrel and collapsible stock make it very easy to maneuver quickly. I say go for it!
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/09/16 11:44 PM

Originally Posted By: S.A. hunter
Nephew bought a armalite AR-10 B carbine 16 inch. He was also gonna buy a hunting rifle. Just wondering if he can just slap a scope on it and use it for deer? Max shot at our land is no more then 200 yards.I have no clue what the AR is capable of. Any first hand input would be appreciated. Thanks

Of course you can hunt deer with it. Check the rules on mag capacity cuz there may be one.
I picked up an Armalite AR-10 back in 08' or 09' with the 20" barrel. Killed many a deer and lots of pigs with it. I topped it with a NightForce and whacked a doe at 400 yards and big boar at 380 yards, in fifteen minute span lounging around in a gazebo built on top of the hunters lodge. The doe was on the far side of the tank, the pig was slightly right of that from this view looking out from the gazebo. With the glass I added, a rail, and magpul butt, the AR-10 is pretty heavy. Too heavy for me to tote these days. Still a great blind gun though.

Posted By: billybob

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 09/10/16 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Originally Posted By: billybob

Another nice setup. Just wondering, why a 4 rounder when hunting deer? When I hunt them with the AR-15 chambered in 6.5 Grendel there is usually 10 round magazine in it incase hogs come by. In Texas there is no limit for how many rounds your rifle can hold for hunting deer.

Quote:
Magazine Capacity

There are no restrictions on the number of shells or cartridges a legal firearm may hold when hunting game animals or game birds (except migratory game birds, see Legal Shotgun).
TPWD Link

I use the 4 round mag because I hunt mainly from a blind and the 20 rnd gets in the way hanging out the window. It's been over 30 years since i've used any more than 1 round.
Posted By: Fire_Ranger

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 10/01/16 11:02 PM

That's what I'm swapping to
Posted By: Txhillbilly

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 10/02/16 12:54 AM

I use a DPMS LR-260H mainly for hogs,but I deer hunt with it also. To me,it's not any heavier than my RRA Varminter 223 with a heavy barrel.
Currently,I'm running one of Mike Tillman's Resolute Precision Machining digital night vision units on it. I love that thing!
The only other non DPMS parts on the rifle are the RRA NM 2 stage trigger,a Hogue hand grip,10 rd Stoner magazines,and an ACE skeleton stock. I feed it a steady diet of 140 gr Sierra gameking handloads,and it shoots them excellent.
Posted By: Cattleman

Re: Any of you guys hunt deer with a AR-10? - 10/02/16 09:28 PM

I do sometime with a DPMS LR 243 and it kills them just as dead as my 260 or 25-06 or 308.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum