Texas Hunting Forum

Deer Quality around Baird Tx Callahan Cty

Posted By: Bairdhunter

Deer Quality around Baird Tx Callahan Cty - 08/28/16 09:39 PM

Wanted to ask if anyone is hunting around Baird northern Callahan county, second year on lease and we are seeing some decent deer!! Just curios if other members in the area are seeing decent deer numbers also!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Deer Quality around Baird Tx Callahan Cty - 08/29/16 12:12 PM

welcome

The area has good potential. Really comes down to how the deer have been managed.

If you have plenty of cover, water and let bucks live to maturity the area can produce.
Posted By: papa45

Re: Deer Quality around Baird Tx Callahan Cty - 08/29/16 12:57 PM

I have hunted near Putnam, east of Baird, for several years and it has been disappointing. Not many deer and not very big. We have lots of mesquite and cattle and very few oak trees. One nice deer was taken last year and that was a real surprise.

Re: Deer Quality around Baird Tx Callahan Cty - 08/29/16 01:11 PM

Thanks for the input, no cattle plenty of cover, we will let them grow and see how it pans out.
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Deer Quality around Baird Tx Callahan Cty - 08/29/16 01:17 PM

I hunted in Cross Plains for years... Good area. It depends on what your place looks like but it can be a good area for sure!
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Deer Quality around Baird Tx Callahan Cty - 08/29/16 07:09 PM

I hunted in Putnam 3 (?) years ago. Fair number of deer at best, none were impressive at all. That was my first and only year on that lease. The only other person on it had been on it by himself for 2 (or 3?) years prior to that and was ready to move on. I didn't want it by myself so I let it go.

Shot some coyotes, raccoons and hogs there.

Re: Deer Quality around Baird Tx Callahan Cty - 08/29/16 07:24 PM

Thanks again for the input guys! Time will tell, age and nutrition have a huge roll as We all know!! Can't wait to get in the blind!!!
Posted By: AdThomps

Re: Deer Quality around Baird Tx Callahan Cty - 08/30/16 01:20 AM

I live in Abilene and have hunted around the area for a long time. Grew up in Baird till I was about 10. It really depends which side of Baird you are on. North is good hunting with some really big deer closer you get to Albany. South is also good hunting when you get closer to the Pecan Bayou. We had a lease off 283 about 5 miles south of hwy 36 and it was one of the best places I've ever hunted. East and West of town are hit or miss. There's some good pockets of dear near Putnam and some south east of Baird where the shinery is between Baird and Clyde.
Posted By: mr. buck

Re: Deer Quality around Baird Tx Callahan Cty - 08/30/16 02:16 AM

do a search on the forum and you should find plenty of info. ive posted in quite a few of the threads so you can probably search under my name a find some info. i'd look them up and link them but my wife is currently telling me to get off hunting forums and come talk wife

Re: Deer Quality around Baird Tx Callahan Cty - 08/30/16 09:28 PM

Thx mr. buck I will do that search!! We are right around Lake Baird? Looking to start feeding proteine next year and cotton seed!! Age and nutrition = better deer!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum