Texas Hunting Forum

Having some fun with a yearling buck

Posted By: SapperTitan

Having some fun with a yearling buck - 08/25/16 03:40 AM

So I was out doing some tree trimming for the upcoming season making all sorts of noise and I look up and this yearling 3 point is standing in the field about 40 yds away just staring at me. He walks right by me on his way to the feeder and then I decided to see how close I could get with no cover. Prob got within 10-15 yds before he ran off. This is the second time I've been this close to him, a week ago I came out of the woods and he was standing there. He proceeded to have a stare down with me for about 10 min and then walked a complete circle around me before casually walking off. You gotta love those young, dumb, curious deer. They sure do grow up and get smart fast. By the way this is a free range wild deer not a pet.

Posted By: KCH

Re: Having some fun with a yearling buck - 08/25/16 03:53 AM

Cool video! They are curious creatures for sure...
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Having some fun with a yearling buck - 08/25/16 12:49 PM

up
Posted By: JKC

Re: Having some fun with a yearling buck - 08/25/16 01:08 PM

up
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Having some fun with a yearling buck - 08/25/16 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By: KCH
Cool video! They are curious creatures for sure...
At that age for sure.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Having some fun with a yearling buck - 08/25/16 07:33 PM

we had one like that. I would leave him a piece of apple or plum whatever fruit I was eating while working around the place. It got to where he would come out when he heard the chain on the gate rattle. He would follow me like a dog wagging his tail. He made it 3 years doing that and his 4th year he was an 11 pnt. One of the guest hunters had no idea about this deer being so friendly and took him about 5 minutes after he went through the gate. I felt a little sad but what can you do? Legal game and my buddy hadn't briefed him like I did all my guests.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Having some fun with a yearling buck - 08/26/16 12:48 AM

When we hunted down in Schleicher county we had a doe that would come running when she saw the truck. She knew that she would get some corn. If you happened to make it to the box blind in that area without her seeing you, sooner or later she would walk right up the blind and look in to see if you were there. We never bothered her and she was still there when we left the place. We had named her Doefelina.
Posted By: deerhunter1956

Re: Having some fun with a yearling buck - 08/26/16 01:05 AM

I took my grand daughter who was 6 at the time to the lease in Eastland we drove down to the first feeder and there was a doe feeding. I kept driving slow and stopped about 75 yards from the feeder. That doe started walking to the truck and the excitement on my grand daughters face was priceless it walked with in 15 yards of the truck before running off.
Posted By: TenTenWhitetails

Re: Having some fun with a yearling buck - 08/26/16 02:11 AM

We have a nice little 7 pt 2 yr old buck that has decided to hang out around the ranch house. We took a group of hunters out for a hog hunt and he walked up in the yard to our road 10 yards away and stood there waiting for corn before walking off about 40 yards. They asked if he was a pet. Said, "Nah, he's just putting on a good show to get paid off in corn later."

Not a day goes by out there that he doesn't come up to eat the corn off the roads while we are working.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Having some fun with a yearling buck - 08/26/16 02:16 AM

Great video. Some get smarter and survive, many don't. Curiosity not only killed the cat...
Posted By: notamtchance

Re: Having some fun with a yearling buck - 08/26/16 03:34 AM

up
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Having some fun with a yearling buck - 08/26/16 12:53 PM

He better learn quickly.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Having some fun with a yearling buck - 08/26/16 12:53 PM

Originally Posted By: MikeC
When we hunted down in Schleicher county we had a doe that would come running when she saw the truck. She knew that she would get some corn. If you happened to make it to the box blind in that area without her seeing you, sooner or later she would walk right up the blind and look in to see if you were there. We never bothered her and she was still there when we left the place. We had named her Doefelina.
that's funny
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum