Texas Hunting Forum

I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy)

Posted By: 1972dfins

I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 08/24/16 10:17 PM

So here's my dilemma. All of these deer would be the largest deer I've ever shot. This is only my 3rd year in Texas hunting. I hunt a ranch that's about 900 acres with 4 other guys. We don't have a ton of deer, but we have some nice deer, a great group of guys, and I really enjoy it. Now to the dilemma. How do you decide what a "shooter" is? We've done a good job not shooting young deer, and improving the herd the last 3 years. With that being said I've paid some good money to shoot a cull buck and a doe. I don't want money to get in the way of doing the right thing, but how long do you let them grow up? Most of these deer are 4.5 now. I have some pics below. I want to do the right thing, and shoot the right deer for the right reason. The guy that runs my lease is super nice and says "if you think it's a wallhanger, you paid for this lease then go for it." But we all have also talked and said to only shoot mature deer, or a cull. Basically, from my experience and itchy trigger finger almost all of these are wallhangers because they'd be my personal best. But I want to do the right thing. Enough rambling. I think you get the drift. How do you decide if a deer is mature enough? I know this answer may be different for everyone, but I would appreciate your opinion. Both in theory, and the deer below.

This guy below is my favorite. he's an 11 because of the split tine. he's 4.5 or older in age. Last year he was a 10. Taller, but not quite as wide. Do you pass on that?

I really like this 8 below (center). His 2's are nice. I think he's 4.5 also. I was told once an 8 always an 8, but I don't know if that's true or not.

Your thoughts on any of these deer, or how to decide if it's a shooter with the idea of you only want to shoot mature deer? These are the most mature deer we have (on camera, and I haven't seen anything else either), but are they mature enough?
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 08/24/16 10:24 PM

There is no "right thing to do". If you like him, shoot him. You've already gotten the green light from the lease manager.

Basically, if you look at a deer, and you get butterflies, he's probably worthy of being shot.
Posted By: fredeboy

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 08/24/16 10:25 PM

I can assure you Most of these deer would be shooters if I am on the lease!

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 08/24/16 10:26 PM

Btw, every one of those deer would be shootable on my place.

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 08/24/16 10:32 PM

Here is my longer answer. I think too many new hunters take all of the fun out of hunting. They are so worried about only shooting the right deer. And they get confused. They post a picture of a deer, half the guys here say it's 2 years old, and they wouldn't dream of shooting it, and half the guys say it's 5 years old, and they would shoot it. Then you get to your stand opening morning, and a good deer walks out that you would be ecstatic to shoot normally. But now you are so worried about what others will say about your deer that you end up passing on a deer you should be thrilled to shoot.

Save the serious management and trophy hunting for later. You have been hunting for 3 years. If a deer stirs something inside of you, don't worry about it. Shoot it.
Posted By: TyBU

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 08/24/16 10:32 PM

Tff caribou said it perfectly.If you like that 8pt and you would not be breaking any lease rules and the lease manager has already given you the green light then you should take that deer. Another great point made in the above post is that if that deer gets you going and excited then that is the deer you want to shoot because you will enjoy that moment for a long time and it's extremely rewarding. I shot a 9pt a couple of years ago that had some broken tines on one side and he was a mature deer. He definitely wasn't my biggest but the thing that stuck out to me the most was that he had 10" brow tines and that got me real excited instantly and based on that feeling there was no 2nd guessing or hesitation on deciding that I wanted to take that deer.

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 08/24/16 10:33 PM

Thank you both.

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 08/24/16 10:35 PM

That is literally the exact thing I did last year. I passed on that 10 thinking he may be too young. He's now the 11 from the morning photo. I appreciate it.

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 08/24/16 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By: 1972dfins
That is literally the exact thing I did last year. I passed on that 10 thinking he may be too young. He's now the 11 from the morning photo. I appreciate it.

I was speaking from experience too. Last year I passed on a 10pt that would have easily been my best deer. I second guessed myself trying to decide if he was old enough. I never saw him again, and kicked myself all season. I got butterflies the second I saw him. I was telling the neighbor about it, and he told me it sounded like the same deer he'd been watching for atleast 4 years...
Posted By: CGB

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 08/25/16 12:57 AM

I've enjoyed reading this post and agree with all the comments made. One thing you might consider is talking with your fellow lease members. Decide together if a certain deer gets a pass or can be taken. You might avoid future problems that way. Let's say you pass that 11 and another member takes him. Communication is a very important part of having a good lease in my opinion.
Posted By: jakebunch

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 08/25/16 01:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Here is my longer answer. I think too many new hunters take all of the fun out of hunting. They are so worried about only shooting the right deer. And they get confused. They post a picture of a deer, half the guys here say it's 2 years old, and they wouldn't dream of shooting it, and half the guys say it's 5 years old, and they would shoot it. Then you get to your stand opening morning, and a good deer walks out that you would be ecstatic to shoot normally. But now you are so worried about what others will say about your deer that you end up passing on a deer you should be thrilled to shoot.

Save the serious management and trophy hunting for later. You have been hunting for 3 years. If a deer stirs something inside of you, don't worry about it. Shoot it.

This...and very well said.
Posted By: Cslate

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 08/25/16 02:35 AM

Man that 11 is gonna be hard to pass up when u see him. If I'm on that lease I'm not gonna be mad at you for shooting a deer like that. Jealous for sure but not mad haha...the 8 is pretty but I may let him walk to see if he gets to be a bigger 8..I'm a suckered for bug 8s
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 08/25/16 03:45 AM

Looks like a wide range of ages . Some of those skinny looking long pencil legged deer are probably two. Hard to say on some of the deer because of the angle, but the deer under the feeder in the second photo, tne deer in the third photo and the deer in the back left of the fourth photo all look like they are mature. A couple of others may be, but would need better shots.

I read somewhere about the stages of a deer hunter. I can't remember exactly how it goes, but something like the initial stage, you just want a deer. Then horns, any horns. Next a buck with a decent rack. Then the stage where you only want one bigger than any previous deer, progressing to a true trophy hunter and then the point where you are content in just enjoying the deer and not necessarily needing to kill one. Each stage is part of progressing as a hunter. Sounds like you are at the stage of getting your best buck to date. I think that is where the article said most hunters remain the longest.

You and your lease members agree to shoot mature bucks and based on the photos, you have at least 3 or 4 that would satisfy both your best buck and being mature. Good luck, and if you connect with one of these guys, post photos and show him off.
Posted By: ThreePeppers

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 08/25/16 02:31 PM

One thing I would recommend doing is lowering your camera a few inches. You seem to be getting a lot of head shots and missing the belly line and the length of their legs. If you moved it to where you could just see the bottom of the barrel I think you'd have a better angle for judging them.

As far as telling if they're mature look for short wide faces, sagging bellies, sway backs, and short legs. A young deer will look like a race horse while a mature deer more resembles a mule.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 08/25/16 03:27 PM

Yes definitely discuss with the other lease members so that all of y'all are on the same page on what to take and what to let bread another year or so.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 08/25/16 03:37 PM

I'd take the 8 in the last picture and let the others breed a couple more years.
Posted By: Hoytman

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 08/25/16 03:42 PM

Take whatever U want and dont worry about anything else.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 08/25/16 05:20 PM

You did the right thing last year when you passed on the 10. Now it's time to reap the rewards.
Posted By: TAFFMASTER

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 08/25/16 05:52 PM

Caribou said it best. As long as no rules are broken just have fun hunting!
Posted By: TxAg

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 08/25/16 08:59 PM

Sir-

As others have said, I think the right choice would be to take a buck that a) meets your lease rules/management plan and b) gets you excited. There is nothing in the world wrong with shooting a good 4.5yo 8-pt, if it fits your plan, and it would for most. If you like him, and if he's "legal" then go for it.

That is a good bachelor group there. Some hard angles to call age, but your next round of pics should tell a better story.

BTW, your intentions are in the right place. Sounds like y'all have a good thing going, should pay dividends down the road.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 08/25/16 09:02 PM

Shoots the 9!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 08/25/16 09:09 PM

In my opinion this is what happens when people new to hunting get on too nice a lease. I think new hunters should go out have fun and shoot what they want. When I started hunting anything with horns was a shooter and made me happy then anything with 8 pts... nothing wrong with that, but that type of behavior doesn't belong on a managed ranch. Shoot what you want because you want to and eventually as you get more experience you will probably change what your looking for.

Since your on a nicely managed property I would try to abide by the management rules. Find one you think is over the min age and bust him and call your taxidermist! Don't over think it, have fun.
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 08/25/16 09:51 PM

Got some nice bucks. Pick the one you want and get after him.
Posted By: sbushee

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 08/26/16 09:45 AM

Shoot the one you want. Sounds like you've earned it. Think about it. It's one deer in the scheme of life.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 08/26/16 12:43 PM

pick one..shoot
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 08/26/16 12:59 PM

That 8 in the bottom pick looks the most mature and would be within the rules y'all have. He would be an awesome first buck IMO. up
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 08/26/16 02:42 PM

[quote=Pitchfork Predator]That 8 in the bottom pick looks the most mature and would be within the rules y'all have. He would be an awesome first buck IMO. up [/quote

I say the same. It's a nine. I looked backed at the other pictures. Just looks like an 8 from that angle.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 08/26/16 02:58 PM

Don't over think things...

You’ll know he's the right one when you find yourself immediately reaching for your rifle instead of the your binos up

Have fun and stay safe and good luck cheers
Posted By: Wacm

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 08/26/16 03:20 PM

I do t think any of those look to be over 4. I would hold off on them all but I've got so many 130inch deer on the wall. We have a rule on our camp. If you want to mount a buck....not euro but actually put the money into mounting him. Age is not a factor.
So my answer to you is nobody can tell you what a shooter is if your willing to glorify the buck and put him on your wall. My first wall hanger buck was a 132in 9pt. Then the next season I rattled in an 8pt that had a huge body. The hunt wa so intense and I arrowed him at 15yards. He went on the wall. He didn't even make P&Y but he was mature and the way the hunt unfolded was worth mounting him to me.

Pick a buck and start hunting. The beauty of the hunt changes things. There are guys who pass up bucks to kill a super elusive doe. I think the hunt events can be part of the reasoning of what you take.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 08/26/16 04:08 PM

FWIW, I hope you shoot that 10/11 in the third picture and if we have enough tags to go around, punch the 9 or the tall narrow 8 for a consolation prize.

I won't pay your taxidermy bill, but I dang sure will drive you to his shop!

Regards,
Management grin

I can't say enough good about this hunter (I mean that in the truest sense) he and his dad have worked their tails off to help us get our hunting grounds to a point where we can produce solid deer on our low fence piece of heaven.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 08/26/16 04:27 PM

up
Posted By: talkturkey

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 08/26/16 04:56 PM

Simple really. Whichever one walks out that makes you start shaking, your heart rate soar and pound out of your chest, your breathing accelerate, and IF (big IF) he stays around long enough for you to get it all back in check, and under control, then that IS the one to shoot.

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 08/26/16 05:05 PM

Thanks everyone. Including you MGMT. LOL. I've already moved the camera, and this isn't my first hunting experience. I've been hunting my entire life in PA with some coal miner's and railroad workers (family) that live by the rule of "we need to eat. shoot it." So we just don't have deer of this quality, and I wanted to make sure I'm shooting deer that are considered mature by the standard that exists. That's all. Thanks everyone for the input. I'm off to the lease now to get some work in.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 10/14/16 06:13 PM

Boy howdy, was a tag filled last night. 1972dfins punched one of the target bucks. Pretty stoked for him.

Posted By: fouzman

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 10/14/16 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: HuntnFly67
FWIW, I hope you shoot that 10/11 in the third picture and if we have enough tags to go around, punch the 9 or the tall narrow 8 for a consolation prize.

I won't pay your taxidermy bill, but I dang sure will drive you to his shop!

Regards,
Management grin

I can't say enough good about this hunter (I mean that in the truest sense) he and his dad have worked their tails off to help us get our hunting grounds to a point where we can produce solid deer on our low fence piece of heaven.

Great situation and lease manager. up
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 10/14/16 06:38 PM

Nice buck - congrats sir! cheers texas
Posted By: postoak

Re: I need some pointers here......shoot or no? (pic heavy) - 10/14/16 07:08 PM

There's a difference between mature and big. Lease rules determine whether mature is 4.5, 5.5, 6.5, or 7.5 (never heard of a lease that didn't consider 7.5 mature).

You said something about wanting to shoot a mature deer, that's just a matter of determining the age and knowing the lease rules. A mature buck might have an unimpressive rack.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum