Texas Hunting Forum

Corn Feeder Settings

Posted By: R. Johnson

Corn Feeder Settings - 08/24/16 07:21 PM

Going from summer to fall feedings, how many times a day do y'all feed and how much corn do y'all feed per day?? I have been feeding once in the morning and once in the afternoon over the summer but plan on increasing soon. Ideas??
Posted By: Txhuntr2

Re: Corn Feeder Settings - 08/24/16 07:37 PM

I increase the spin time to put more corn on the ground and usually add a second feed 10-15 minutes after the first for a second or two. I like to adjust my times every few weeks during the season so that my morning feed happens just before or just as I can see what's under the feeder. Afternoon feed is usually an hour or two before sundown, but my afternoon feed time is a little more variable depending on how the deer pattern to that particular feeder.

As for spin time v spinner plate distance from the funnel, I prefer to keep the spinner pretty close to the funnel but increase the spin time as needed. This helps prevent the loss of feed due to wind.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Corn Feeder Settings - 08/24/16 07:51 PM

I do as Txhuntr2 does and change my feeder times as the daylight changes. One at first light and on for 2 seconds more about 30 minutes later.....just another dinner bell for them. I throw more corn in the morning than the evening. I don't want them able to show up after dark and eat all night. My evening time also changes as the day changes. I have it 1-1/2 hours before dark.
Posted By: R. Johnson

Re: Corn Feeder Settings - 08/25/16 04:05 AM

Thanks for the advice. Kinda what I was thinking. Most of my feeders throw at a rate of 1lb per 4 seconds. Probably gonna turn my feeders to throw 3-4 times in the morning and twice in the afternoons. Keep the feedings to 1.0-1.5 lbs per feeding. That will have it throwing between 6 and 9 lbs. of corn daily. Gotta get em fat and trained!!
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Corn Feeder Settings - 08/25/16 04:11 AM

Set it once for deer season and never change it. I see no reason to change times. 2 times a day 0600 and 1530.
Posted By: spg

Re: Corn Feeder Settings - 08/25/16 05:34 AM

Wish the timers were on a atomic clock
Posted By: kick2theside

Re: Corn Feeder Settings - 08/25/16 06:58 PM

Twice a day, off season 8 sec and during season 16 sec and road feed 50lbs per hunt.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Corn Feeder Settings - 08/25/16 07:02 PM

3 seconds at 7a.m. and 5p.m. during spring and summer. 7-8 seconds starting labor day.
Posted By: KCH

Re: Corn Feeder Settings - 08/25/16 07:02 PM

I'm a corn miser I guess, lol. 4 seconds during the season and 2 seconds in the off season...
Posted By: rickym

Re: Corn Feeder Settings - 08/25/16 07:04 PM

During season I throw 8lbs a day. Off season I throw 3.5 lbs a day. First thing I do when we get to the property for a hunting weekend is broadcast 50lbs in about a 50' area while standing on the 4wheeler.

Sapper, that seems a little early in the afternoon. Im sure it works out fine, just seems early in the day to me.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Corn Feeder Settings - 08/25/16 07:10 PM

Originally Posted By: rickym
During season I throw 8lbs a day. Off season I throw 3.5 lbs a day. First thing I do when we get to the property for a hunting weekend is broadcast 50lbs in about a 50' area while standing on the 4wheeler.

Sapper, that seems a little early in the afternoon. Im sure it works out fine, just seems early in the day to me.
I like to get to the stand early anyways that way if it doesn't go off I can go trouble shoot it or toss out some corn. Nothing worse than sitting in the stand n hour before dark and the feeder decides to not go off. Plus they know its there so they will come get it. haha.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Corn Feeder Settings - 08/25/16 07:11 PM

3 seconds now. 7 seconds when they start hitting it good. Twice per day plus tailgate feeder each visit to a stand. Also corn lots of senderos, etc. while at the ranch. I've had the ranchero do it before we arrive, but the hogs start getting on the corned senderos within a day.
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: Corn Feeder Settings - 08/25/16 07:15 PM

5 seconds in the morning and evening. But 10 seconds at 1pm.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Corn Feeder Settings - 08/25/16 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: rickym

Not gonna hurt any throwing early. Rather too early than too late.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum