Texas Hunting Forum

Sheffield tx deer lease

Posted By: USMC89

Sheffield tx deer lease - 06/28/16 02:07 AM

I've found a lease near Sheffield tx that we are looking at just curious on the deer in the area. If anyone is from the area please let me know
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Sheffield tx deer lease - 06/28/16 02:28 AM

A rancher that used to post on here often is halfway between Sheffield and Sanderson. His screen name escapes me right now.

We're on a lease for the second year going, also between Sheffield and Sanderson. 10K acres, HF, but no supplemental feed except our corn during the season. It's part of a larger ranch. I've been pleased by what I've seen, but I grew up hunting the hill country. If the rain keeps up this year, I think it will be another good year for antlers out there. Of course, it all depends on what has come before you on the place; number of hunters, etc.

Have you experienced the thriving metropolis of Sheffield yet?

Re: Sheffield tx deer lease - 06/28/16 02:35 AM

This place is on the Sheffield loop what they call the Hoover divide rd. 406 I believe
Posted By: therancher

Re: Sheffield tx deer lease - 06/28/16 02:36 AM

That area can be awesome. Depends on management and rain. Pretty much like everywhere.

And if it's low fenced expect the occasional elk.
Posted By: Phantom

Re: Sheffield tx deer lease - 06/28/16 02:44 AM

I have hunted all over that area. There are white tail and mule deer. I think you can expect 140's whitetail and 160 mule deer if you hunt hard and the property has been managed. The best whitetail I shot out there was 22 in wide and scored 155. Mule deer 20 in wide 167. It is big country and rough. feel free to pm me with any questions.

Re: Sheffield tx deer lease - 06/28/16 02:46 AM

Thanks rancher. I know what ranch it butts up to, but don't want to just throw the name out there. It is low fence and has 2 tanks that were full of water said it hasn't been hunted in 4 years. Saw around 20 doe and 2 nice bucks in 1 1-2 hours of riding around looking.
Posted By: Csddarden

Re: Sheffield tx deer lease - 06/28/16 10:55 AM

Are you at the place with the old hotel on the ibterstate, or do you know where I'm talking about?

Re: Sheffield tx deer lease - 06/28/16 01:06 PM

That must be past us
Posted By: JKC

Re: Sheffield tx deer lease - 06/28/16 01:44 PM

We hunt off CR 406 and have good deer and good numbers been there for several years
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Sheffield tx deer lease - 06/29/16 12:10 AM

JustWingem hunts right there, I believe.
Posted By: txbobcat

Re: Sheffield tx deer lease - 06/30/16 01:01 AM

Water is very important down there.

Re: Sheffield tx deer lease - 06/30/16 03:12 AM

Has 1 full stock tanks and several concrete troughs that windmills keep full so water is good
Posted By: JustWingem

Re: Sheffield tx deer lease - 06/30/16 03:47 AM

Our lease is divided by 406 and 290. 160 class deer on the top end 140's are the trophy range for that area. Occasional Mule deer. Sprinkle in few Aoudad in the area. We have free range protein for the last 7 years and the body weights have come way up.

Factor in the last 2 years have been very wet years so the browse has helped. Should be a good season.

PM. If you need some photos or questions answered.

Re: Sheffield tx deer lease - 07/12/16 10:56 PM

Do Yall think 5' bases for my box stands are enough for this area? That will put my windows around 8'. Need some help, I'm building this weekend
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Sheffield tx deer lease - 07/12/16 11:04 PM

Originally Posted By: USMC89
Do Yall think 5' bases for my box stands are enough for this area? That will put my windows around 8'. Need some help, I'm building this weekend

That all depends on where your going to put them. You can sit a ground blind up on the rimrock and see for miles.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Sheffield tx deer lease - 07/13/16 01:29 PM

Originally Posted By: USMC89

depends totally on your terrain & setup location ... I have a place to the SE of Sheffield (SW of Ozona) that has quite a variety of different set up types.

One stand is about 4 foot off the ground on the side of a hill with good shooting lanes thru the natural lay of the brush/cedars and good visibility to the other side of the draw on the opposite hillside out to 300 yards. Works perfect for that location.

Another is about 15-18 high down in the bottom of a deep canyon where you can see down between close trees and still see the sides of the canyon walls.

another I can sit in the truck (so butt height about 4 feet) and have good visibility thru multiple shooting lanes.

I would think from ground level up to 6 foot to the floor could make for a good set up with proper location. I prefer to get slightly off the ground to make up for different wind directions to carry human scent away (hopefully)
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum