Texas Hunting Forum

Found a small clearing on my lease - Before and After - Positive results

Posted By: TXGH

Found a small clearing on my lease - Before and After - Positive results - 05/16/16 04:04 PM

I found a nice clearing on my lease that is at the edge of the pines and the other woods are all hardwood & thicket with a creek behind it. After two hours of work and some help from a friend, this is going to be an excellent bow hunting spot for deer season. Will not put up a feeder due to trying to keep the hogs out. Will hand throw corn every few weeks, plant a small food plot (iron clay peas), put down a protein block, and mineral lick.

1 week after clearing the spot and throwing our cors, the mineral lick, and protein block, I have some positive results. The other spots on my lease are all in a meadow and has heavy hog traffic, and very little deer traffic. SO THIS IS VERY ENCOURAGING!

What do you think his age is? I think he will be a nice buck this fall.

The second pic is a side view of this buck and he is the one in the rear...

This is also my first lease, and first ever attempt at managing it (making food plots, clearing hunting areas, ect)

Posted By: rickym

Re: Found a small clearing on my lease - Before and After - Positive results - 05/16/16 04:17 PM

3-4 probably 4
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Found a small clearing on my lease - Before and After - Positive results - 05/16/16 05:00 PM

I like 4-5..Could be a nice one depending on how those horns grow in..
Posted By: decook

Re: Found a small clearing on my lease - Before and After - Positive results - 05/17/16 11:12 AM

I think 4 yo. He doesn't quite have the face of an elder.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Found a small clearing on my lease - Before and After - Positive results - 05/18/16 12:40 PM

Looks middle aged with great potential. Nice set up. up
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Found a small clearing on my lease - Before and After - Positive results - 05/20/16 06:41 PM

The buck in the first photo is definitely a mature cull. Look at the belly on that thing... roflmao
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum