Texas Hunting Forum

Deer hitting feeders

Posted By: kmon11

Deer hitting feeders - 05/16/16 02:39 AM

Turkey hunting this weekend the deer were hitting the feeders before the turkeys, saw 3 does and 4 bucks at the feeders. One buck has started his brow tines and main beams are longer than his ears. Good mature deer that I hope to see in October in bow range.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Deer hitting feeders - 05/16/16 03:27 AM

Keeping the feeder runnin year round makes a difference cheers

Re: Deer hitting feeders - 05/16/16 03:39 AM

not feeding much corn at a time but it sure helps in the fall to keep them around and interested. Next trip out will be relocating a few feeders. some things have changed with 2 new tanks and 15 acres of prime bedding area cleared.
Posted By: Western

Re: Deer hitting feeders - 05/16/16 01:32 PM

Same here, even turned down and times changed to screw the crows from tidbits.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Deer hitting feeders - 05/16/16 01:44 PM

I feed a 3/1 corn/protein mix year round. I have trimmed back with the wet spring providing so much natural browse but the deer still are cleaning up what I'm throwing.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Deer hitting feeders - 05/16/16 02:14 PM

In Eastland county I'm throwing 1/2 what I throw in the fall, and all being eaten even with all the new green browse.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Deer hitting feeders - 05/16/16 02:18 PM

Always fun to see whats going on year round
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Deer hitting feeders - 05/18/16 05:01 AM

Nice. We don't have a deer on cam since March. Just turkey and plenty of hogs. Killing as many as possible. I started one of the penned feeders last week and no activity in a week. I opened it up so the hogs can at least clear the 2 foot high grass and then will close it off after taking one out. At least that is the plan. There is just too much browse at our place for deer to care until September. Same way it is every year. I see and hear them right by the feeders but they just don't care about the corn.
Posted By: aeb

Re: Deer hitting feeders - 05/18/16 05:48 PM

My guys decided to run corn all year on one of my places so they could hunt hogs. Hogs, hogs and more hogs on camera now. Haven't seen a deer on camera in weeks. Think they are shooting themselves in the foot.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Deer hitting feeders - 05/20/16 03:31 AM

They might regret that. I can't recall the last time I have seen a deer at one feeder we run year round. They pass by it all sides in the brush but don't stop. But the hogs sure do.
Posted By: MathMan

Re: Deer hitting feeders - 05/20/16 10:43 AM

We usually don't have deer at our feeders at this time. Most feeders are pen feeders. Sure do have hogs at non pen feeders. Too much natural browse. Deer will show up in the summer. They are barely showing at protein feeders which is nice on the wallet. Hoping a few from past years show up:)

Since we put mostly pen feeders last year we have much less hogs and had more deer last year than the last 10 years. Not sure if it was pens or nature.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Deer hitting feeders - 05/21/16 02:21 AM

We feed year round. Just lately the deer have started eating corn again.

No fawns seen yet. Plenty of big pregnant does, so we should have fawns soon

Re: Deer hitting feeders - 05/21/16 02:37 AM

On the fawns, this place in Eastland it is not unusual to see bucks breeding does in mid October. Get more trail camera pics of bucks at the feeders than does and see more bucks than does while hunting. Small place 140 acres with the biggest adjoining place 320 acres and some have too many hunters for the acreage and they kill lots of does on those places. I honestly believe since antler restrictions went in we might have more bucks than does, pics and sightings show it to be that way. There a few 2 year old bucks will meet the 13 inch but most are 11 to 13 inches so most are not shot until they are at least 3 years old.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum