Texas Hunting Forum

Saw the first pokes on a head today....

Posted By: Texas buckeye

Saw the first pokes on a head today.... - 04/16/16 01:39 AM

Have a mucho preggo doe and a yearling coming to the feeder regularly and the yearling is a buck. He is finally poking some antler out of his head and saw it really well for the first time today.
I suppose the bigger boys are probably not hitting feeders right now in lieu of the natural stuff all around?? Have had a couple bucks show up weeks ago but they aren't regular yet. Figure if the summer gets really hot and dry they will be there, but it's too green out there right now.
Posted By: Homer Jay

Re: Saw the first pokes on a head today.... - 04/16/16 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye

I suppose the bigger boys are probably not hitting feeders right now in lieu of the natural stuff all around??

That would be my thinking. I've always heard that corn is like candy to the deer. They prefer the green stuff that is so abundant right now due to the rains we've had up here.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Saw the first pokes on a head today.... - 04/18/16 02:21 PM

have lots of doe, but no bucks coming to the corn
Posted By: PMK

Re: Saw the first pokes on a head today.... - 04/18/16 05:34 PM

I've seen several bucks with knobs showing the past week. I was driving between Bertam and Liberty Hill yesterday and saw my first fawn of the spring, seems a bit early to me, but guess if the doe got bred in late Sept./early Oct. could be about right.
Posted By: don k

Re: Saw the first pokes on a head today.... - 04/21/16 11:31 AM

Yes they are starting to grow.
Posted By: KCH

Re: Saw the first pokes on a head today.... - 04/21/16 03:24 PM

Yes I noticed that my group of three bucks I have regularly on camera all have nubs...never did find any sheds of them.
I'm in Navarro county...no fawns yet but a doe I have looks like she must have twins!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum