Texas Hunting Forum

Those of you feeding cottonseed

Posted By: Ricochet83

Those of you feeding cottonseed - 04/08/16 10:00 PM

You guys that feed cottonseed do any of you guys feed cottonseed and protein pellets simultaneously? just curious if this is a protein overload.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Those of you feeding cottonseed - 04/08/16 10:36 PM

Some do but just remember every bite of WCS that a deer takes he is not getting all the key minerals/trace minerals/vitamins that are added into your protein pellets. Can be difficult to get deer trained to eat. Labor intensive to put out and to get it at a good price you have to book it (how many loads you will need for a year) in advance. By the time you factor in equipment to handle it, labor, and adding in minerals, etc...I put pellets a better value long term. With pellets I know every bite a deer takes has what he needs(or what "we" think they need) in it.

Re: Those of you feeding cottonseed - 04/08/16 11:23 PM

Wonderful. That's kinda what I was thinking as well however landowner asked if I wanted them to put it out for us but I really don't want them to eat that instead of the protein. I personally think the protein is more beneficial.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Those of you feeding cottonseed - 04/08/16 11:32 PM

There are people who feed it, I have never been a fan of it due to lack of minerals/trace mineral/vitamins and that it has gossypol. WCS has a lot of fat, but I am not a fan of that much fat in feed for deer. Deer can only utilize so much fat. Post rut for a month it would be okay but that would be the only time I would even think of using it.

Re: Those of you feeding cottonseed - 04/08/16 11:37 PM

Great appreciate the info. Mostly I don't want to pull away from my newly implemented protein program. Would rather them get that because I know the protein I get has mineral benefits as well
Posted By: tlk

Re: Those of you feeding cottonseed - 04/09/16 10:21 PM

we added it 3-4 years ago along with our protein and our results have been great. I like the cottonseed because it can be placed where fawns can get to it unlike a pen with protein. They hammer both on our ranch. I think it is especially effective the first month or two post rut
Posted By: olinecoach7391

Re: Those of you feeding cottonseed - 04/12/16 07:06 PM

I feed it January through March. It puts the bucks back in great shape after the Rut. Then Antler Max through the summer.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum