Texas Hunting Forum

Peas Plus Black-Eyed-Peas

Posted By: krod777

Peas Plus Black-Eyed-Peas - 03/20/16 09:25 PM

Who feeds them and are they worth it??
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Peas Plus Black-Eyed-Peas - 03/21/16 07:12 PM

i haven't been able to get them out this way since 2012 but the deer here loved them. i cant remember what i paid
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Peas Plus Black-Eyed-Peas - 03/22/16 02:59 AM

They have around 24% protein more or less and will feed out of a spin feeder. Sometimes take deer a while to figure out what they are. Turkey and quail will eat them also. If you can buy them cheap enough or mixed with corn already at a good price they would be a good feed mixed with corn.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Peas Plus Black-Eyed-Peas - 03/22/16 03:15 AM

Use to get a bag with corn and roasted peas that the deer would eat faster than I could put out.. But it ended up gettin to the same price as protein.. Went through a feeder nicley though
Posted By: luke0872

Re: Peas Plus Black-Eyed-Peas - 03/22/16 04:05 AM

We feed blackeyed pea splits and the deer hammer them along with the turkeys. Very high in protein. Good stuff if you can find them cheap enough
Posted By: tlk

Re: Peas Plus Black-Eyed-Peas - 03/22/16 11:22 AM

[quote=luke0872]We feed blackeyed pea splits and the deer hammer them along with the
where do you find it?

Re: Peas Plus Black-Eyed-Peas - 03/22/16 12:30 PM

Originally Posted By: tlk
[quote=luke0872]We feed blackeyed pea splits and the deer hammer them along with the
where do you find it?

There used to a place in Pleasanton that you could buy them and places around Lubbock that sold them. Mummes bought a lot of them back in the 90's-early 2000's.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Peas Plus Black-Eyed-Peas - 03/22/16 12:41 PM

Where I've seen black eyed / split pea mixes, they've usually been in the $15-$18 per 50lb. range.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Peas Plus Black-Eyed-Peas - 03/22/16 01:58 PM

We tried to use black-eyed peas a few years back, but could never get the deer to eat them. But anytime it rained, it smelled like black eyed peas cooking around the feeder. Quail and all other birds ate them like they were going out of style. We were trying to feed them in the Hill Country.

Re: Peas Plus Black-Eyed-Peas - 03/22/16 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
where do you find it?

There used to a place in Pleasanton that you could buy them and places around Lubbock that sold them. Mummes bought a lot of them back in the 90's-early 2000's.

any advantage over protein and cottonseed?

Re: Peas Plus Black-Eyed-Peas - 03/23/16 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
where do you find it?

any advantage over protein and cottonseed?

Not any IMO. Just a good source of protein but like cottonseed lacks minerals. The deer eating it really is not doing them any good if your are feeding protein. Protein has a mineral package based on what deer needs, neither peas or cottonseed has that. So every bite of those they take is actually not doing them as much good as what they get from protein. If peas are cheap and the only thing you can afford to feed then they will be much better than corn.

Re: Peas Plus Black-Eyed-Peas - 03/23/16 10:57 AM

the main advantage I see to adding cottonseed to a protein feeding program is accessability. The cottonseed does not have to be inside a pen so there are more locations it can be placed and fawns can get to it. Certainly seems to help our deer post rut - the peas have to be in a feeder like protein so there does not seem to be any advantage to them
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum