Texas Hunting Forum

Sweetwater / Nolan County Deer Hunting

Posted By: Gus Schkade

Sweetwater / Nolan County Deer Hunting - 03/14/16 11:25 PM

Gents,

Looking at getting on a lease southwest of Sweetwater by 10 miles or so. Interested in any feedback on quality of hunting; whitetail, quail or otherwise? Any type of exotics running around that area?

Thanks in advance,
Gus
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Sweetwater / Nolan County Deer Hunting - 03/14/16 11:52 PM

Nolan county typically has a lot of deer density. Depending on location good bucks range in the 115-125" range on the places I have hunted. I am currently hunting in North Coke right at the border line of Nolan and the quail are making a tremendous comeback.

Good luck cheers
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Sweetwater / Nolan County Deer Hunting - 03/15/16 01:02 PM

Good place to be. I hunted south of Lake Sweetwater for over 30 years. The key is herd management if you want to harvest good bucks. Lots of hogs and turkey so there is plenty to shoot. Hopefully you have a full time water source on the lease as well. The windmills don't bother the deer at all.

Re: Sweetwater / Nolan County Deer Hunting - 03/16/16 03:32 AM

Thank you so far gentlemen.
Posted By: MarkE

Re: Sweetwater / Nolan County Deer Hunting - 03/25/16 03:55 PM

I have hunted all round that area. If your on a big enough ranch that is managed well, you can grow some 130 - 165 inch deer. If it's a small place (bordered by small places) expect 110 - 125 inch deer. Tons of hogs, turkey, and varmints. Don't expect to see any exotics unless there is a recent high fence escapee that gets out. They tend to live at any feeder they find because that is all they know (livestock). There isn't a sustained free ranging heard of any exotic deer around that area that I'm aware of.

Re: Sweetwater / Nolan County Deer Hunting - 03/29/16 05:46 PM

Thanks MarkE
Posted By: Skipetex

Re: Sweetwater / Nolan County Deer Hunting - 04/08/16 11:28 PM

I hunt round Blackwell on a friends place. Looking for a permanent lease myself if anyone knows of any. The deer density is pretty high. My biggest has been low twenty's but my son got a 134 this last season. You should do good with a little management.
Posted By: Skipetex

Re: Sweetwater / Nolan County Deer Hunting - 04/08/16 11:31 PM

Where bouts do you hunt?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum