Texas Hunting Forum

Shed Hunting

Posted By: TxRedhawk

Shed Hunting - 03/11/16 02:05 PM

Let's hear stories, tactics and theories about that "in between turkey hunt" activity we all like to do. Shed hunting. We've all stumbled across sheds over the years (often just dumb luck), but there are some folks out there that have it down to an art. Let's here from ya!
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Shed Hunting - 03/11/16 02:21 PM

welcome
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Shed Hunting - 03/11/16 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: titan2232
welcome

x2
Posted By: TxRedhawk

Re: Shed Hunting - 03/11/16 03:42 PM

Thanks guys
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Shed Hunting - 03/11/16 03:57 PM

I've never found a shed so can't help there
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: Shed Hunting - 03/11/16 05:01 PM

Walk around the property and look down. When you see a shed, pick it up.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Shed Hunting - 03/11/16 05:37 PM

welcome
Concentrate around natural or man-made food sources by looking for sign..ie low weedy areas, food plots, feeders, etc. Look around water sources, all of the trails leading to them, if a stock tank then look at the upper end of the drainage leading into it as wells as around the banks with easy access. Food plots and feeders will generally have a large communal scrape on the downside about 75-100 yds back in the brush where deer will stage to come into the food source. Trails leading to and away from a fenceline. Low areas, ditches or creek crossing are great locations to look. Do not spend time look at long distances as you can walk right over a shed and not see it. Bedding areas and trails in/out of those areas are great spots. But most of all, don't waste time looking to early if your bucks have not shed yet.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Shed Hunting - 03/11/16 05:43 PM

Ive found two sheds by stepping on them. They weren't big sheds but just shows they can be hard to spot.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Shed Hunting - 03/11/16 06:24 PM

Here is an easy way to find them..Just drive around.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Shed Hunting - 03/11/16 09:17 PM

Sadly, found this a few weeks ago:

Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Shed Hunting - 03/11/16 10:20 PM

I use my GPS and grid off an area. Walking trails is good but I am forever amazed at how sheds end up in some of the thickest bushes that you can barely get to.
I will also drive fields in a grid with the Gator, the wife watching one side and me the other.
It is almost as fun as hunting deer. We generally get 60-80 a year.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Shed Hunting - 03/11/16 10:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
I use my GPS and grid off an area. Walking trails is good but I am forever amazed at how sheds end up in some of the thickest bushes that you can barely get to.
I will also drive fields in a grid with the Gator, the wife watching one side and me the other.
It is almost as fun as hunting deer. We generally get 60-80 a year.

we designate a shed hunting weekend at our lease mid April and have a blast - usually weather is perfect and the cactus and flowers are blooming. Fun stuff
Posted By: Tophers

Re: Shed Hunting - 03/11/16 11:13 PM

Grid it off when you find one and walk it slow.
Posted By: TruTexican

Re: Shed Hunting - 03/12/16 07:43 PM

Fence lines.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Shed Hunting - 03/14/16 12:48 PM

welcome

Can't really add more to what has already been posted.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Shed Hunting - 03/14/16 01:30 PM

Start at a feed pen and start working in outward circles...

where there is feed there is sheds
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Shed Hunting - 03/15/16 03:09 AM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Start at a feed pen and start working in outward circles...

where there is feed there is sheds
Young eyes help. Your bride is the champ.
Posted By: Bulldog4949

Re: Shed Hunting - 03/17/16 02:19 AM

I love looking for sheds. Ive found a few in my years.

Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Shed Hunting - 03/17/16 02:28 PM

I pulled the chip out of my game camera this past weekend and they still have their antlers here in East Texas. I haven't had much luck finding sheds on my land, just a spike and small forked horn that where both eaten up pretty good. My guess is that they don't last long here. Too many critters that eat them, and maybe all the moisture rots them away.

My best find was while hunting along a rocky ridge in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. The trail went between to large boulders that where flat on top. There was an antler on either side. One was a clean, deep forked 4 point with an eye guard, the other was a perfect match with an extra fifth point. Probably a 25 inch spread.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Shed Hunting - 03/17/16 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: EddieWalker
I pulled the chip out of my game camera this past weekend and they still have their antlers here in East Texas. I haven't had much luck finding sheds on my land, just a spike and small forked horn that where both eaten up pretty good. My guess is that they don't last long here. Too many critters that eat them, and maybe all the moisture rots them away.

My best find was while hunting along a rocky ridge in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. The trail went between to large boulders that where flat on top. There was an antler on either side. One was a clean, deep forked 4 point with an eye guard, the other was a perfect match with an extra fifth point. Probably a 25 inch spread.

worthless
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum