Texas Hunting Forum

Feeder panels

Posted By: golferbean

Feeder panels - 02/29/16 11:47 PM

What's everyone's opinion about panels around your feeders to keep cows out. Are 4' panels to big? Will it deter the deer from eating in the pen.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Feeder panels - 02/29/16 11:51 PM

Usually the panels are about 34" tall, if use the 48" panels cut some low spots. Depending on how big the area is or how many panels are used. I would cut one panel down skip two cut the next, or just use lower panels in place of cutting.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Feeder panels - 03/01/16 01:52 AM

I buy 50" cattle panels at Tractor Supply for around $20 each. I cut a 4-5' section down 2 spacing on every other panel in an 8-10 panel pen. That is around 40". I had a bull jumping in a 34" hog panel pen and when I went to the 50" panel it stopped him. Still had same number of deer in the pen. You can see one section that is cut down. The deer use those sections every time.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Feeder panels - 03/01/16 01:57 AM

Depends on the cows, none of my cattle have ever gone over a 34" hog panel, bulls included.
Posted By: golferbean

Re: Feeder panels - 03/01/16 02:28 AM

Ok good info. Thanks I have the 50" and it looked a little tall. Wasn't sure if it made a difference in the deer coming to the feeder or not
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Feeder panels - 03/01/16 07:10 AM

Knock on wood no jumpers here. We have 4 fenced with the 34 inch panels. Now on my old lease just up the road I had a jumper. That sumabich jumped in while I was hunting and got his bag leg stuck in it. 3 minutes of earth shattering banging of metal my hunt was over and so was the panel. I had to take them down after that.
Posted By: Texmel

Re: Feeder panels - 03/01/16 05:20 PM

Just don't put a block of salt in the pen. Had salt in feeder pen for deer and cows basically tore up one panel getting to the salt. So going forward there is no salt in pens.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Feeder panels - 03/01/16 08:02 PM

I use the 50" panels from Tractor Supply, catch them on sale for $18 each. I usually take bolt cutters and rip one panel down the middle (gives me 2-25" panels) and arrange my pen where the far and near side facing the stand is the lower 25" height (deer walk around to front or back to jump in, clear shot without panel in the way) but I place a cinder block under each end to hold up while wiring to T-posts (both ends and middle) and they end up about 34" and I leave the sharp cut ends up to act like barbed wire. I think I usually buy 5 or 7, which makes a 6 sided or 8 sided pen. Used this technique out in Ozona that has wild cattle & horses ... keeps them out for 2 years now.
Posted By: STXHO

Re: Feeder panels - 03/02/16 01:50 AM

I have 36in panels with 1 strand of wire on the top. The cattle will jump them during a drought if the smell the protein. Its a constant battle for us.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Feeder panels - 03/02/16 02:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Rustler
Depends on the cows, none of my cattle have ever gone over a 34" hog panel, bulls included.

Nor mine.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum