Texas Hunting Forum

Milano / Milam County Deer Hunting

Posted By: Gus Schkade

Milano / Milam County Deer Hunting - 02/27/16 01:45 PM

Gents,

Looking at leasing a couple of places south of Milano for bow hunting. Anyone out there have recent knowledge of deer population, quality and hunter population?

Thanks,
Gus in Fort Worth
Posted By: rickym

Re: Milano / Milam County Deer Hunting - 02/27/16 07:09 PM

Hunted just north of rockdale on the river. Had great doe numbers, it was an mld1 property taking 20 or so a year off 340 acres. It was common to see 10+ deer every sit. Probably had a 3-1 doe to buck ratio. Had a good bunch of young bucks but surrounding properties weren't on board with letting them mature. The area will produce 140s if you let them mature. Always saw a lot of deer driving around, plenty of pigs too though.
Like every other property it's gonna depend on your neighbors.
Posted By: jmh004

Re: Milano / Milam County Deer Hunting - 02/29/16 07:25 PM

I hunt around Sharp in Milam county. I agree exactly with what rickym said in the previous post.
Posted By: KCH

Re: Milano / Milam County Deer Hunting - 02/29/16 07:36 PM

Milam is a sleeper area if you have good neighbors. We dove hunt around Buckholts and the deer have been expanding quite a bit in that area. I imagine down in Milano lots of hogs as well!
Posted By: LAG - CW

Re: Milano / Milam County Deer Hunting - 03/05/16 06:14 PM

Gus,
The areas of Milam county that the folks above are speaking of, might as well be in Colorado. The area south of Milano (towards Caldwell) has VERY few deer. Not saying the occasional decent buck isnt shot, you just better have some serious hours of sit time dedicated.
I have hunted all of the areas they speak of relentless the past 5 years. They are correct about the areas in the north end of county. That area provides some of the best deer hunting in the state!
With that said, the area you speak of is of little value.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Milano / Milam County Deer Hunting - 03/08/16 06:27 PM

I have a buddy that lives between Milano and Rockdale, most of the guys hunting around there see decent numbers of deer but shoot the first legal deer they see. North part of Milam\Robertson county has gotten better over the last few years.
Posted By: Gus Schkade

Re: Milano / Milam County Deer Hunting - 03/14/16 05:53 PM

Thanks Gentlemen
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Milano / Milam County Deer Hunting - 03/16/16 01:13 PM

as above post's said, the #'s are good north of Milano, decent size deer, but most of the bucks don't get a chance to grow a decent rack size
Posted By: AT11

Re: Milano / Milam County Deer Hunting - 03/16/16 08:11 PM

I have lived in the area my whole life and as others mentioned it kind of depends on the neighbors. Most people seem to just shoot any legal buck they see. I don't know the ratio, but I see way more doe in the area. That's not to say you can't find a place with some good activity and decent deer, but the population is too low to see a lot if the surrounding properties are heavily hunted in my opinion. Most the bucks I see are young deer also. There are plenty hogs and coyotes though!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum