Texas Hunting Forum

Can someone help with aging this buck?

Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Can someone help with aging this buck? - 02/20/16 01:30 AM

Would like some opinions on this one. These are the only two pictures I was sent. Looks like a main frame 12 with a couple of kickers. My guess is 5 yrs, but others who got the pictures said 6 and 4. He's def got a nice build, bet his neck was monstrous a few months ago. Looks like he's been pumping iron.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Can someone help with aging this buck? - 02/20/16 01:32 AM

Hard angles to judge a post rut buck from. He looks mature-5+ in those pics is my best guess. He is a great looking buck.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Can someone help with aging this buck? - 02/20/16 01:48 AM

so much left out with those pics but he's 4+ I'd call him 5.. Wanna know how long it would take for me to shoot him
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Can someone help with aging this buck? - 02/20/16 04:48 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Hard angles to judge a post rut buck from. He looks mature-5+ in those pics is my best guess. He is a great looking buck.

Will be very nice next year.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Can someone help with aging this buck? - 02/20/16 12:29 PM

I agree with about 5 from the 2 pics.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Can someone help with aging this buck? - 02/20/16 01:40 PM

I don't get into guessing years. I keep it simple, mature or not. That buck's mature. Bit of a sway back, little pot-belly going on, front legs are splayed, and his legs look short.
Posted By: Red Cloud

Re: Can someone help with aging this buck? - 02/20/16 02:41 PM

I agree with Slow Drifter, mature buck great 12 point rack, the kickers add character. Hope he fathers some babies!

Re: Can someone help with aging this buck? - 02/20/16 07:26 PM

Any guesses on score?
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Can someone help with aging this buck? - 02/20/16 10:17 PM

I see 5.5 and mid 140s..

Re: Can someone help with aging this buck? - 02/20/16 10:19 PM

Sorry, low 150s, forgot he was a 12

Re: Can someone help with aging this buck? - 02/21/16 05:36 AM

Think Id have a heart attack if I was hunting and he stepped out. I should get the opportunity to bow hunt this place the whole bow season. Hopefully he sticks around.
Posted By: HS2

Re: Can someone help with aging this buck? - 02/22/16 02:45 AM

Here's another question: If you only had the chance to shoot at the buck in the photo when he was standing in that position, would you shoot? He's standing a little more than 3/4, not really head on, but a shot missed a little to the right would end up with a gut shot deer. Miss a little to the left and you miss the vitals. Would you shoot?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Can someone help with aging this buck? - 02/22/16 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By: HS2
Here's another question: If you only had the chance to shoot at the buck in the photo when he was standing in that position, would you shoot? He's standing a little more than 3/4, not really head on, but a shot missed a little to the right would end up with a gut shot deer. Miss a little to the left and you miss the vitals. Would you shoot?

With a bow? No. With a rifle? Yes I would if he was standing/looking like the second pic. Shoot for the neck crease at base of neck and where it met the shoulders. Hit there the deer would not take a step.

Re: Can someone help with aging this buck? - 02/22/16 02:57 AM

I'll take the high brisket shot every day of the week including Sunday with my .30-.06 and 7MM-.08 for that matter. Deadly shot when placed center, high brisket.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Can someone help with aging this buck? - 02/22/16 01:20 PM

You may never see this buck during shooting hours. He looks very very spooked.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Can someone help with aging this buck? - 02/22/16 02:37 PM

mature, awesome buck

Re: Can someone help with aging this buck? - 02/22/16 10:07 PM

Ive taken that shot with a 270 twice. Dropped in their tracks both times. With a bow, no. I had an older buck that was close to this big 40 yards from me last year while I was bow hunting. He never turned, I had this shot open to me for several minutes. I didnt take it. He ended up bolting when the feeder went off and I didnt see him again. IT just about broke my heart but Id rather have the chance to see him again for a good shot than take a bad one.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Can someone help with aging this buck? - 02/23/16 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

With a bow? No. With a rifle? Yes I would if he was standing/looking like the second pic. Shoot for the neck crease at base of neck and where it met the shoulders. Hit there the deer would not take a step.

Break um down cheers
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Can someone help with aging this buck? - 02/25/16 01:07 AM

Both with a rifle neither with a bow. Of course, if I was bow hunting I'd be about 15 feet above him, so maybe.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum