Texas Hunting Forum

Madisonville Off- season Ideas

Posted By: .243 Man

Madisonville Off- season Ideas - 02/17/16 08:30 PM

One of my good buddies has had land in Madisonville for generations. 2016 deer season will be our first year to hunt it. Anyone have any good luck in or around Madison county? Just put up a deer stand early this month and will be setting up a feeder this weekend. Also, how much do you recommend to feed during off season? Is it a good idea to feed protein as well?

Thanks in advance,

.243 Man
Posted By: BBD84

Re: Madisonville Off- season Ideas - 02/18/16 05:18 AM

I have my personal place in Buffalo and outside my high fence we feed 3-5 seconds mornings only from now until September 1st. We have hogs come and go and some predators but we try to keep them in check.

Re: Madisonville Off- season Ideas - 02/18/16 01:42 PM

Ok thanks for feed back

Re: Madisonville Off- season Ideas - 02/18/16 01:44 PM

Ok thanks for feed back
Posted By: h20thief

Re: Madisonville Off- season Ideas - 02/18/16 03:33 PM

We feed soybean/corn mix throughout the year and the deer are starting to show it. Heavier body and horn mass. It's pricey but worth it. The pellet protein has gummed up both the gravity and spin feeder so we switched to the soybean/corn mix. Quail and turkeys love it too.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Madisonville Off- season Ideas - 02/18/16 03:57 PM

I could throw a rock and hit Madison co. from were I killed this one...

Re: Madisonville Off- season Ideas - 02/18/16 03:58 PM

I feed year round corn and heavy on the protein from now till the acorns drop... also plant cow peas with clover during the spring, oats, vetch and turnips during the fall/winter

Re: Madisonville Off- season Ideas - 02/18/16 03:59 PM

I wont be messing with the plot for a while though they are still using my fall/winter plot.

Re: Madisonville Off- season Ideas - 02/18/16 04:03 PM

Nice! that low fence buck?

Re: Madisonville Off- season Ideas - 02/18/16 04:04 PM

Yezzir

Re: Madisonville Off- season Ideas - 02/18/16 04:10 PM

Re: Madisonville Off- season Ideas - 02/18/16 04:10 PM

all within ten miles of eachother

Re: Madisonville Off- season Ideas - 02/18/16 04:16 PM

Sweet!! You probably have a lot more land than what my buddy has. But only time will tell. Thanks for your info.

Re: Madisonville Off- season Ideas - 02/18/16 10:46 PM

maybe 400acres between 5 spots. anytime hope it turns out for yall

Re: Madisonville Off- season Ideas - 03/27/16 06:49 PM

Looks like we are getting somewhere
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Madisonville Off- season Ideas - 03/27/16 07:42 PM

This one was shot in Houston County about 20 miles from Madisonville.
Posted By: alsaenz

Re: Madisonville Off- season Ideas - 03/28/16 10:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

Hey Navasot,

Glad to hear that. I just put a contract on a place in the Hilltop Lakes area. Any idea what the deer population in that area is like?

Thanks.
Posted By: Pinky3169

Re: Madisonville Off- season Ideas - 04/13/16 02:47 PM

We hunt 2,200 Acres in Madison / Walker county.. The Bedias runs through the entire piece of our property. We have plenty of Hogs and great deer.. Been under MLD for 6 years now. There is so much green for the deer to eat, we generally throw 2 -3 seconds a throw on our corn feeders. In the spring / summer we throw corn, soybean, protein pellet mix. We plant the same food plot mix that Navasot plants. Spring / summer plots and winter plots. With all the rain we get, they grow really good. We run protein feeders, but it took a while for the deer to hit them at first.. We had to mix 75% corn and 25% protein, and then work up to 100% protein.. Good luck this season.

Re: Madisonville Off- season Ideas - 04/18/16 02:50 PM

Thanks a lot brother

Re: Madisonville Off- season Ideas - 04/18/16 03:07 PM

Originally Posted By: alsaenz
Originally Posted By: Navasot

Hey Navasot,

Glad to hear that. I just put a contract on a place in the Hilltop Lakes area. Any idea what the deer population in that area is like?

Thanks.

One of mine is a mile from the front Gate of Hilltop.. plenty of deer... actually a few to many.. but Hilltop has had a hunting club there the last few years so its helped a good bit.. the key will be open areas... lots of very thick woods there and makes hunting tough.. oh and youll be on a nonstop war with pigs... mine that is closest to Hilltop is so flooded with pigs its impossible to hunt without a feeder pen... and you see few deer activity when they get to staying in the area real thick
Posted By: Red Cloud

Re: Madisonville Off- season Ideas - 04/18/16 05:16 PM

As in most cases on THF, I learned a lot on this thread. Not my thread but thanks anyway. texas cowboy
Posted By: alsaenz

Re: Madisonville Off- season Ideas - 04/19/16 01:37 PM

Good to know. Appreciate the info.
Posted By: tinkerbell

Re: Madisonville Off- season Ideas - 04/20/16 01:24 PM

This gal enjoyed Madison County!

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/big-buc...ts-youth-record

Re: Madisonville Off- season Ideas - 04/20/16 01:28 PM

That one was killed near the river in Midway
Posted By: Woodrow1

Re: Madisonville Off- season Ideas - 04/25/16 02:14 AM

I hunt in midway. It's not far from madisonville. Very nice deer. Lots of hogs...but they've seemed to disappear recently. I'm sure they'll be back soon.
Posted By: Eland Slayer

Re: Madisonville Off- season Ideas - 05/04/16 10:32 PM

I've sold several properties near Midway...and there are definitely some good deer in that area.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum