Texas Hunting Forum

protein feed

Posted By: mow

protein feed - 02/17/16 07:45 PM

ive found protein pellets deer feed for 9$ for 50#... is that about right price wise..lease is out west around abeline.....
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: protein feed - 02/17/16 07:53 PM

What is the protein and fiber % of the feed?
Posted By: jbguide

Re: protein feed - 02/18/16 03:02 PM

That's a good price what brand of protein?
Posted By: ThreePeppers

Re: protein feed - 02/18/16 03:27 PM

Being that Mow is from Granbury and hunts west of Abilene I'm thinking Red Chain Feeds from Gorman Milling. I know when I called them about a month ago they were about $9.50-$9.75 for 20% picking up direct at the mill. One of these days I'm going to swing by there with a trailer and pickup a couple tons.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: protein feed - 02/18/16 06:55 PM

Fed Red Chain Protein pellets for 10 years year round. It did nothing for bucks antlers, but it did put some body weight on them. Switched to L&E protein a couple of years ago, seems it's doing the antlers a lot better.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: protein feed - 02/18/16 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Stompy
Fed Red Chain Protein pellets for 10 years year round. It did nothing for bucks antlers, but it did put some body weight on them. Switched to L&E protein a couple of years ago, seems it's doing the antlers a lot better.

Best Feed on the Market Sir up
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: protein feed - 02/18/16 08:09 PM

Red Chain smells kinda funky to me. I'm assuming they use cheaper ingredients. As always, YMMV.
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: protein feed - 02/18/16 10:08 PM

I have used Red Chain with good results. It has been peanut meal based and the deer take to it better than any other pellet I have tried. However, I just bought several tons and the current mix does not appear to be peanut based. The label said plant and not peanut. It did not smell like peanuts like the pellets I have bought in the past. I'll see how it goes.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: protein feed - 02/18/16 10:33 PM

I have never fed the red chain, but after perusing the THF for the past 12 years Red Chain is a pretty common name with folks who have had problems getting deer to eat it I believe.

Re: protein feed - 02/20/16 12:06 AM

It's a place in Baird
Posted By: ThreePeppers

Re: protein feed - 02/22/16 03:10 PM

Saw a guy with 2 skids of the Red Chain on his trailer out in Rotan on Friday. Would've liked to have stopped and talked to him but as usual I was in a hurry.
Posted By: aeb

Re: protein feed - 02/22/16 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By: mow
It's a place in Baird

The Coop feed store or somewhere else?
Posted By: Hunter-Boss

Re: protein feed - 02/22/16 04:13 PM

Not sure of the brand we are feeding. Get it at Carbon Ag and Feed. Deer took to it quick and well. Raising us some trophy sized Coons for sure though. eeks333 bang What we buy is more expensive then 9.00 a 50 lb bag though. I think its 22% IIRC.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: protein feed - 02/22/16 04:16 PM

I paid $11 a bag for Record Rack (sportsman choice) this weekend. It has better nutrients compared to the other stuff they had I believe.

Re: protein feed - 02/22/16 05:30 PM

coop store

Re: protein feed - 02/23/16 08:15 AM

I'm paying $520/ton for Antlemax at Jackson's in Abilene. That figures $13/bag.

Re: protein feed - 02/23/16 06:14 PM

Originally Posted By: mow
ive found protein pellets deer feed for 9$ for 50#... is that about right price wise..lease is out west around abeline.....

If the Callahan Coop is now carrying Gorman's Red Chain deer pellets for that price, I am going to check with them again. Considerably less than what I am paying in Abilene for Purina. The Coop is a Purina dealer but the last time I checked with them, they were carrying some no-name pellet that they said was their own "special" formula. Lord only know what floor sweepings were in it plus the dust on the bags was pretty aged. Sounds like maybe the situation has improved.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: protein feed - 02/23/16 06:15 PM

What's better? Antlermax or Record Rack?

Re: protein feed - 02/24/16 04:09 AM

Talked to the Red Chain rep at Abilene's Farm Show today. The Baird Coop is NOT one of their dealers. Not sure what brand you were being quoted but probably not Red Chain. The Red Chain price sheet shows 20% at $9.95/bag and $398/ton. 17% is $9.55/bag and #382/ton

BUT the best thing I discovered today is that we have a young man in Abilene who has recently become a dealer for L&E Feeds. Not sure of his prices. We have L&E in our area but only bulk. This is good news because I can not handle bulk.

Circle T Feeds
circletfeedstx@gmail.com
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum