Texas Hunting Forum

Food plot ideas for spring

Posted By: shakebaker

Food plot ideas for spring - 02/09/16 02:52 AM

Just looking for some advice on a good crop/crops for this spring for the deer. First time trying anything in spring so hoping for some help and some suggestions. Thanks.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Food plot ideas for spring - 02/09/16 02:55 AM

How many acres will you plant? Will livestock have access to it? How many deer will use the plot? Do you have access to a tractor/equipment?

Re: Food plot ideas for spring - 02/09/16 03:04 AM

No livestock on the place or hogs. Its high fenced. Its my grandfathers place but he never planted and recently had to move off at age 99 to a rest home. Told me to do whatever I wanted to keep it nice. Do have access to a small tractor and equipment. Probably about 15 to 20 acres spread out I can plant. The place is 250 acres total. The rest is very wooded. Last deer census we had about 50 deer counted. We do feed some protein as well but have only planted oats in the fall.

Re: Food plot ideas for spring - 02/09/16 03:23 AM

Cowpeas or Soybeans will work great. I would plant all the acreage you can. If it does well you can cut back on your protein feed bill.

Re: Food plot ideas for spring - 02/09/16 03:28 AM

That's for the advice. I will try those and plant as much as I can. Less feed bill is always nice.

Re: Food plot ideas for spring - 02/09/16 03:32 AM

Get you a soil test done if you haven't. cheers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum